Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    A page turn truth
  • You all should
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It kinda sucks
  • Finished A Plague Tale: Requiem last night and had a pretty nice time with it. It was definitely a few hours long for my taste but it was worth it overall. Looks lovely and I actually found myself quite engaged with the story which is rare for me. This was in part down to some great voice acting from the cast. Just today they announced a 60fps mode for Series X and PS5. I guess I played it at 30fps then. Felt absolutley fine to me.
  • Just finished up Hardspace: Shipbreaker. Good shit, best and most interesting work sim. Would love a sequel set in that universe but I dunno if that's on the cards tbh. 8/10.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    It kinda sucks

Heresy. Burn the witch.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Stray (PS5)

Definite moments of eightness, witha tidy aesthetic and animation, and it indeed didn't outstay its welcome, but I think I'm going with a maybe-harsh [7] as the actual game didn't quite do it for me. A bit too simple, checkpointing a bit clunky in the bits you could die, sorry a bit too forced. I guess it did what it was trying to do pretty well... but that wasn't quite enough for me...
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Assassin’s Creed (Xbox 360 via Xbox Series X) - Completed 100% with all Achievements. Did 100%ing the game finally fill the void at the heart of my soul? No.

Although this is running off backwards compatibility, it has the full works in terms of enhancements - 4K, 60fps, HDR. Although it’s dated, it still looks pretty good - the enhancements really do make it look like a borderline remaster. It looks and sounds really nice and atmospheric in places. It’s very 360/PS3-era gritty but it uses an array of different muted colour schemes for each location so it comes across as significantly more sophisticated than just a ‘piss filter’ and has actually dated pretty well. The main thing that dates the graphics is a distinct modularity to the environments - you see the same bits of building over and over. Perhaps this was to fit the large open-world environments in RAM? Compared to, say Origins, it feels much more like video game environments than having a romp through actual real-world historical environments.

Even though the controls and combat are a bit less intuitive than the modern games, I actually liked them - there’s a kind of weightiness to it all. By going back to the beginning you can see the origins of mechanics in the later games that aren’t explained as well. For example, in Origins, people will freak out if they see you clambering over buildings with no explanation why - whereas this actually explains the whole system of socially acceptable and socially unacceptable actions.

While the world and mechanics are decent, there’s a lack of interesting content to fill it. There is a *lot* of flab in this. The core assassinations are OK but the content to unlock them gets quite repetitive and dull. The collectibles are the worst, especially since they can’t be tracked properly in the game. It was later revealed that they were added very quickly just before the game went to print and it shows. I had a disturbing bug where the last two Templars I needed for 100% completion didn’t appear due to a glitch. Fortunately going back later made them reappear but I still didn’t appreciate the bugginess.

I felt like the game ended on quite a duff note as well - a lot of uninteresting all-out combat sequences over and over and then the story just abruptly ends on quite an anti-climactic cliffhanger.

I quite liked it as an audiovisual mood piece and the core content is more fun than not but obviously a rough first attempt in a lot of ways. [6]
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • The combat is shit as it’s all
    About parrying which is so
    Annoying
    The Forum Herald™
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Humanity (PS5)

Much more of a genre mashup than I was maybe expecting, and it subverts the genres moderately inventively at points... but I basically didn't think it was very good? Like it was fine, but none of the sequences particularly shone, and it maybe peaked for me at like 3 of 7... and then didn't really build from there, instead meandering sideways via new mechanics with nothing building on top of what went before in any kind of satisfying manner.

I also found the UX not great - often failing a puzzle through a minor mixup that takes a while to rectify... even with unlocked stuff there's no rewind, and with the follow command in play you can't even rerun from exactly how things were. There's also randomness which annoys me in puzzle-likes.

Which I guess brings me onto the story which... yeah was basically pish. Added nothing to the game for me, no feels or depth, I don't even think it was trying to be overly pretentious or anything it was just dull and totally didn't resonate for me at all. Decidedly meh, and not an alibi for the gameplay bits I disliked.

I'm probably being a bit harsh. There weren't many bits that actively offended. But by making my failures be ones of execution not thought it didn't score philosophical points, it just left me feeling its own execution lacked, even if some argue that was its gameplay intention.

I could stretch to a generous [8] perhaps, but I'm not going to. [7] it is.

132 goldies our if 150 without too much effort, cba too see more, cos only about three levels actually stood out, and I've already forgotten what they were. Kudos for squeezing bosses out mind, even though they were particularly shit.

Could and I think should have been more.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Re: Assassin's Creed that reminds me initial reception at the time was rightly that lukewarm. I think a lot of the love for AC2 was in shock that such a good game came after such an average one.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I thought AC1 got a bit of an unfair dissing at the time - it wasn't amazing, but it wasn't that bad either. I guess vs the hype it maybe underwhelmed but there was plenty of fun to be had - and still some impressive stuff given tech at the time.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The Xbox 360 version got 81 on Metacritic and it got a lot of very warm reviews but the PS3 version was technically poor and it had a bit of a critical reassessment after the sequel came out. It’s also one of those games where the quality of the critical path is decent but drops off dramatically when you stray into the sub content, which might not have bothered the initial reviewers but probably impacted opinions among players.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I reckon back then people didn't know any better. Show em an Uncharted 3 and they'd give it a [9].
  • The Edge [4] steered me sharply away from it iirc. I did play the second game, which seemed better received on the whole.
  • AC? Pretty sure Edge gave it a 7.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I'm either mixing it up with something else or accidentally made it up then.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I agree most with Red's [6] because I can still call it shit while saying "some people liked it good for them".
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'm either mixing it up with something else or accidentally made it up then.

It was GamesTM.
  • Haha GamesTM were so rubbish, trying so hard to be Edge-y.

I think 6-7 seems appopriate for the first game.  2 and Brotherhood were 8s for me, maybe pushing to a 9 for Brotherhood.  Got bored with Revelation and haven't played any since.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    AC? Pretty sure Edge gave it a 7.

Yup.

7 was generous. Odious game.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Strange that I always remembered it as a 4 in Edge as well. Not sure where I would have heard about the GamesTM review.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I wonder if this strong collective memory of Edge giving AC1 a bad score is a misremembering of when they gave AC1 spin-off Assassin’s Creed: Altair’s Chronicles for the Nintendo DS a [3].
  • I definitely don't remember that.
  • Maybe it was Spanish Edge? I heard it's the Hit.
  • I thought it was Mirror's Edge for a sec but it turned out that was a [5].
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I thought it was Mirror's Edge for a sec but it turned out that was a [5].

Upon reflection Moot realised he was mistaken
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    That’s The Talos Principle done. Not a huge puzzle fan, mainly dabbled in stuff like The Room games but bounced off The Witness after giving it a go a couple of times. This seemed to hit the sweet spot for me of a perfect puzzle that once solved, it seems so obvious, with only a few exceptions that I had to look up, due more so to my lack of experimentation with some of the latter tool set combinations.

The setting is very well realised, with the back story, read through computer terminals following the usual list of logs, emails and historic data, but the apocalyptic tone was quite melancholic and sad, compared to something like Horizon’s back story (which I enjoy) this is a much more measured take on the end of the world.

Performance wise I couldn’t complain either on Steam Deck (have it set at 40 and it never seemed to drop) or on PC at 120, but there isn’t that much going on so it should be able to run on pretty much anything.

Time wise, think I clocked in just over 18 hours so not as bad Time to Beat claims, but I also didn’t get that many stars.

Really enjoyed it, kept me interested until I finished it and I’ll definitely play the sequel [8].

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!