Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    It's a very good game, and a very good journey, the ending was just a capstone to what I felt was a slightly disappointing third act that felt muddled and artificial in a lot of ways.

Star Wars Episode IX, right?

Oh, you said game. Nm.

He also said slightly disappointing.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Let's start an angry online petition for a Tunic reboot. With a decent combat system it could've been a 10.

It WAS decent, it’s not Tunic’s fault you’re all a bunch of pussies.

It was half decent, until the bosses showed up and showed it up.
  • I've never seen Episode IX, just the clip of Babu Frick, seems about all I need.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

He also said slightly disappointing.

Heh.

For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I've just spent the hour or so since my last complaint post on tunic finding all the secrets from an IGN guide.

Obviously there will be a real sense of satisfaction if you can solve all the puzzles, but holy fuckballs some of them are so obtuse it would have taken weeks to solve. Hell, some of them would have taken days just to find.

I reckon I did about 90 percent of the main quest just through general play. The final missing bits and the required secret bits would have comfortably tripled my play time and not pleasantly. Half of them were obscured by the isometric view point.

Maybe it's genius for some. Enjoyable, sure. It might be my version of Outer Wilds that some people here hated elements of it, whereas it clicked for me.

I don't want to say it's a bad game. It clearly isn't. But it does a few things that I really, really resent in games: needlessly difficult combat (by sponge, invisibility or limited movesets), and obnoxiously obtuse puzzles that gatekeep proper endings.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Popeye (NES) - Home console conversion of the Nintendo arcade game, of which I completed all unique rounds in both modes. I had a go at the arcade game before this and while it had some nice crisp sprites, it was a surprisingly spiteful, awkward game. This version in comparison is uglier but feels more responsive and fairer, and seems to play better overall. You collect items being dropped by Olive while avoiding Bluto. I think this is inferior to Donkey Kong but it's OK. It's thematically a bit depressing in 2023. Two men beating each other up over a woman - toxic masculinity ahoy! [6]

Popeye no Eigo Asobi (Popeye Lingo Game) (NES) - This is an edutainment game based on Popeye. You translate Japanese words into English using a 500 word translation sheet that came with the game (I had to really hunt around for a good photo of this on Japanese auction sites to use as a substitute). It's meant for Japanese kids to learn English but you can kinda use it the other way around. There is actually a fan translation and unofficial MSX port that translate the title screen and convert the katakana characters to romanji but then you can't use the translation sheet plus it still isn't a perfect solution - ideally you'd have a version that displayed both the katakana and romanji. That said, it's not like it would ever be a great language learning tool anyway. I just used the original untranslated Japanese ROM. There are three modes - in the first, you translate words from one of six categories (as you can guess, I played through this mode six times to get all the categories). In the second, you basically play a game of Hangman with the words from a particular category (again, I played through this six times to do each category). I had to abandon the idea of getting the maximum possible score with this mode since it would be based on pure dumb luck and would be an utter grind. The third and final mode is intended as a multiplayer mode where you try and build one of three words displayed in Japanese at the side of the screen using the letters that Olive drops down onto the stage. This is a bit of a tedious nightmare as collecting the wrong letter wipes out your word and Olive is extremely shattershot with her letters. Overall, this game is extremely dull and unhelpful for language learning - this was possibly one of the most tedious experiences of my gaming career. [2]
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    I think my completed game average score is at something like [4] this year, yet I have genuinely good games sitting around unfinished. What am I doing!?

I just calculated it. My average for the year is sitting at 5.74 - gaming is only entertaining me a little bit more than doing nothing basically.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I wouldn’t give sitting around a [5], it’s tedious and the graphics are awful.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • How are you choosing these old games to play? Or is it alphabetical and you're playing them all?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    How are you choosing these old games to play? Or is it alphabetical and you're playing them all?

The ones I’ve mentioned here are:
    * Some low-hanging fruit from Atari 50 that I had a quick go at and ended up finishing with little effort.
    * Mega CD games that I went into hoping they’d be moderately good but were disappointing.
    * Some of the big names from the NES era that weren’t great for whatever reason. I was also curious about the short-lived NES edutainment range after reading about them in one of Jeremy Parish’s NES Works books so that’s why I’ve been playing those.
  • Limbo.

well i definitely hadn't completed or played as much of this before as I thought i had. but still worth it's place in my mistaken memory as a good 'un.
    Relies a little too much on dying and retrying at times as a mechanism for solving puzzles, but then that's kind of the way with this type of game.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • JonB wrote:
    Have you played Inside?

He has too, screen glare is too much on these sunny days
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • JonB wrote:
    Have you played Inside?
    Yeah. Completed it.

At least I think I have, I was pretty confident that I had played and completed Limbo until i started what I thought was a replay and realised I didn't remember any of it past the spider! ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

A [6]. I think Obsidian went way too broad in scope with it beyond their means and the depth of it really suffers.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Playing any CRPG after Disco Elysium feels like self-induced suffering; Baldur's Gate 3 is certainly no different in this regard, with all these incessant dice throws where there's only success or failure, nothing interestingly grey in-between.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • So what you're saying is that if Disco Elysium is my first foray into the genre, it's all downhill?

I've heard Planescape Torment is supposed to be excellent.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    That is the case with the best of the best, yes; it's all basically downhill after that. Disco is this beautiful artistic role-playing enigma that by all gaming industrial standards never should've been but somehow got made anyway. 

It didn’t shy away from nothing, and had both the smarts and emotional insight to tackle difficult topics and dive deep into the human condition.

Baldur's Gate 3, for example, feels like a horny, theatrical teenager in comparison.

Someone will complain about the lack of combat but doing away with combat as the fallback basis of interaction remains the future of role playing. Then again, Disco already did that too.

It's also ferociously fucking funny at times.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • Or different games do different things and different people enjoy those different things.
  • Now I have the end credits song stuck in my head.
    Spoiler:
  • I don't understand why there are so few CRPGs which are not based in tolkienesque setting
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Ratchet and Clank

That's a fucking banger right there. Probably an hour or two too long, and I appreciated you can just skip the puzzle wank. Stunner to look at, solid humour, decent story, awesome weapons.

Rare I see a game to completion these days

Easy 8.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It's a beautiful game and great fun. 

Favourite gun?
    Spoiler:
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    It's a beautiful game and great fun. 

Favourite gun?
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    You played the PS4 game? I felt it was slightly better if not as lovely to look at.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Nah never got round to it. I'll give it a go at some.point but they're great inbetween style games. Brainless and pretty.
  • Ratchet and Clank That's a fucking banger right there. Probably an hour or two too long, and I appreciated you can just skip the puzzle wank. Stunner to look at, solid humour, decent story, awesome weapons. Rare I see a game to completion these days Easy 8.

Also gave it an 8. 

https://www.thebearandbadger.co.uk/discussion/comment/1967152#Comment_1967152
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Stray PC

A fun little 3D platformer with some neat ideas. You often stumble across the solution through chance and random experimentation that actual thought - but I guess that's very cat like. "What happens if I jump up here and bat the thing down?"

Needs a little extra polish on the platform targeting, sometimes you'll jump down when you wanted to go up, and getting too close to the edge of, say, a table means the option to jump up disappears. But given that you're a cat and you can't really fall to your doom during your run, it's not too much of a problem.

[7] for people who don't like cats, and [8] for sensible people.
  • Uncharted 3.

Wins a point for not having a stupidly hard final boss battle.

Overall it’s great. Doesn’t hit the heights of 2 but is possibly more consistent. The combat is great there’s way less puzzles and I couldn’t tell
    You what the story was about.

It probably does just enough to inch over 1.

4231 is he definitive order
    The Forum Herald™
  • I get them mixed up but defo enjoyed 4 the most and 1 the least
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!