Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Oh well at least there's only one to go now.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hmm except Shadow Recruit isn't on the Amazon prime form of Paramount+, seemingly. Something else then.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Watched Shin Godzilla as I fancied more Godzilla after seeing Minus One late last year. It’s a perfectly cromulent, entertaining film but the special effects just aren’t good enough to parse as reality, as compared to Minus One where the effects were used sparingly but were more convincing. I think Minus One also benefitted from having large historical sets and real boats and planes to be a bit of an intermediary between the scale of the human characters and Godzilla, whereas Shin Godzilla is very much ‘here is modern Japan, anything you wouldn’t normally see while walking down the street is CGI’.

Also it just highlights what a masterpiece Minus One is when this is perfectly good and yet absolutely pales in comparison to Minus One, which is sooo much better.

Solid and an interesting modern companion to Minus One but absolutely watch Minus One instead if you only have time for one.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Shin is more a commentary on beurocracy.

The early form of G was weird looking with the fish eyes but the later form was all powerful. I enjoyed it just as much as the superior Minus One.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I’ve seen some people slag off the googly fish eyes but I actually quite like that they went with something a bit goofy and real-life animal looking at first instead of just having it look cool all the way through the film.
  • davyK wrote:
    The early form of G was weird looking with the fish eyes but the later form was all powerful.

Bit harsh but I'm can't argue with g being 'all powerful' now
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Watched Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters on Netflix, which is the first in a trilogy of Godzilla anime films that were released following Shin Godzilla. When giant monsters lay waste to Earth, humanity (accompanied by two other humanoid races who lost their own planets to monsters and subsequently sought refuge on Earth) is forced to flee into space. Failing to find a suitable planet to live on, in desperation the survivors decide to return to Earth. Twenty years have passed for the survivors but due to time dilation thousands of years have passed on Earth. The survivors hope that Godzilla has become extinct during the passing of millennia. They are to be bitterly disappointed…

I thought this was alright. My biggest concern going into it was “Given that a huge part of the appeal of Godzilla is watching him go apeshit in a realistic urban environment, won’t this feel fake and pointless as an anime?” But the action is fairly grounded despite the sci-fi premise (this could have been done as a live action film on a reasonable-but-significantly-bigger-than-whatever-this-had budget) and yet requires a bigger than usual suspension of disbelief anyway due to the sci-fi scenario - so basically if you can accept watching a sci-fi Godzilla, it’s easy to accept this being an anime on top of that.

It’s pretty decent but I’d put it below Shin Godzilla as the human drama isn’t as interesting and there isn’t much social commentary. There’s also an explicit cliffhanger into the next film rather than just a sequel hook so you clearly need to be prepared to commit to the entire trilogy.
  • Watched Killers of the Flower Moon on TV, over two nights because it's real long.

It's very good, mostly because it's such a shocking story and because the three lead performances are compelling. It's also a bit confusing, though, and for a film of such length seems to lack detail.

Not classic Scorsese, but definitely worth watching.
  • Poor Things next week I think, I have to presume it will land a lot better than the Barbie movie.
  • I definitely want to see that, but I’m a wait-for-the-rental person now.
  • Bought two 4k Blu Ray discs today, The Thing and Interstellar.

Currently watching The Thing and it's absolutely stunning looking, pristine image. Absolutely sings on an Oled screen.

Not gonna review the film as we all know it's an all time classic.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    thats_bait.gif
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Nah, Bait is a much newer film, even though it looks old.
  • I watched that while playing Switch.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    The Holdovers is fantastic.

Yes it is. It stayed with me for a few days after watching it. I may even go to the cinema to watch it again!

• Tonight we watched Foe, from Amazon(MGM), where Paul Mescal and Saorise Ronan do a mini Interstellar. Kind of.

Overall, it was kinda weird. The two leads are ridiculously talented and a level of "oh ffs" gorgeous that at times it felt like I was watching a really long extended cut of a aftershave commercial. Other than them two being really watchable, both separate and together, everything else just kinda falls apart. We were both shouting eh? at the ending. Worth a watch if you just want to see two wonderful actors cry and shag a few times.
  • You make it sound more interesting than the trailer does.
  • It really was rather odd. Anyway, another thing I noticed and this is a more general thing: anyone else have major sync issues with the supplied subtitles on Prime Video? They're always way, way too fast so it ends up displaying a subtitle for a line that's sometimes up to 5s away. So annoying, no idea how to fix.
  • That makes me wonder. I don’t think I’ve watched anything subtitled on Prime. I often do on Netflix, but not Prime. Wonder why that is? Less interesting foreign language stuff on Amazon than Netflix? Just habit?
  • Netflix's are always spot on no matter the title or device I'm watching on, which makes it all the more annoying.
  • Can't say I've noticed that, Gav, and we have subs on for most things.
  • Hmmm. We do almost all our Prime watching in the bedroom so maybe it's just that app on that stick. Will try a reinstall after an inevitable "what do you mean you don't know your password?" chat with her.
  • Dunno about sync issues but Prime is the only streaming service that often doesn't have subtitles at all on films.  Newer, big films almost always have it but there's no guarantee if you try watch a mid budget 90s action film.  Doesn't seem to be a priority for them.
  • Fucking yes please:

• I was all in up until the appearance of friendly alien mind spider.

Noped right out there and then
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Sandler was my first red flag. Then the spider popped up and the shark was jumped
  • Yeah. Pretty much my feelings.
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!