Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Tonight we watched Foe, from Amazon(MGM), where Paul Mescal and Saorise Ronan do a mini Interstellar. Kind of.

Overall, it was kinda weird. The two leads are ridiculously talented and a level of "oh ffs" gorgeous that at times it felt like I was watching a really long extended cut of a aftershave commercial. Other than them two being really watchable, both separate and together, everything else just kinda falls apart. We were both shouting eh? at the ending. Worth a watch if you just want to see two wonderful actors cry and shag a few times.

My piano teacher was the piano hands double for Saoirse for that movie. She does kind of look like her too. Apparently they hung out in the area near my house a bit too. Was going to check out the film is just for the hands
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Hmm... would be interesting to see it that way.

I think it’ll look cracking!

Hmmmm, I dunno. The trailer didn't make the transfer to black and white look great. Looked more like they just took the colour out instead of trying to make it look filmed black and white
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Proper b&w is supposedly quite expensive. This has me wondering if they considered filming it in b&w originally.

I occasionally watch some old 4:3 films (e.g Bergman DVDs) on my 4:3 CRT with the colour turned down. They look splendid that way.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Started watching The Creator last night. Gave up after 40 minutes. It's nonsensical shite.

Nice to see Simon Stalenhag's concept art in a film though. And that's twice I've seen Sturgill Simpson get the shit kicked out of him in a film. He's a dude. :-D
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I'm enjoying the style of it, but stopped after an hour. I'll carry on to see the pretties, helps with a bottle of wine tbf.
  • I quite enjoyed it as a piece of B-tier sci-fi fluff. It was a gorgeously (and expensively) realised world. The plot was piss-tier though, and some of the central performances were dire.
  • Started watching The Creator last night. Gave up after 40 minutes. It's nonsensical shite.

Nice to see Simon Stalenhag's concept art in a film though. And that's twice I've seen Sturgill Simpson get the shit kicked out of him in a film. He's a dude. :-D

That's about when I gave up. Vapid, generic shite.
  • poprock wrote:
    I quite enjoyed it as a piece of B-tier sci-fi fluff. It was a gorgeously (and expensively) realised world. The plot was piss-tier though, and some of the central performances were dire.

I’d agree with this. Watched it, thought it looked nice and was ok, but a missed opportunity.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    I highly recommend The Creator never be watched by anyone.
    Things can only get better.
  • I liked the bit where the fat robot almost blew up the bridge or something.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I thought they were one of the stupidest moments. “The US has outlawed all artificial intelligence and dedicated itself to eradicating AI globally. Erm, except these AI suicide bombers that we suddenly thought of and decided would be a cool plot point.”
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I liked the world building etc but the story was pretty flat and yeah, daft in places
  • Really was a shame because it seems like he was kind of working outside of the typical Hollywood system by being on a smaller budget and crew so it probably would have been possible for him to take some chances with the story he told instead of something with the edges sanded off because it cost 3 times as much
  • Monsters still stands up as an incredible debut. And he did pretty good with Rogue One.
  • poprock wrote:
    I quite enjoyed it as a piece of B-tier sci-fi fluff. It was a gorgeously (and expensively) realised world. The plot was piss-tier though, and some of the central performances were dire.

Not defending it as a film but for 80 million it's a very good looking movie (vs the flash at 220 million for example)
    SFV - reddave360
  • It’s a good looking movie by any standards, regardless of budget.

(Apart from the big tank at the end, maybe. That looked a bit shit.)
  • I liked Monsters. Rogue One is great. The Creator definitely has a *look* but seriously check out Stalenhag's art.

The Creator lacks a decent script. Weird cack-handed parallels with both 9/11 and Vietnam were wince inducing. The world's logic made little sense in the 40 minutes that I watched it.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    The Creator looks great for the most part but very little of it seemed particularly original to me, a hodgepodge of elements pinched from various other media. The rest of it is pretty woeful and have no idea how the general consensus is somehow positive.

I've come to the conclusion that I don't think Edwards makes particularly good films or, at the very least, is not for me.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Watched Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle on Netflix. In the aftermath of the battle with Godzilla in the previous film, the humanoids discover that humanity appears to have survived on Earth in the form of the mysterious telepathic Houtua race. Humanity’s allies, the logical yet warrior-like Bilusaludo race realise that the spearheads of the Houtua are made of nanometal, a highly advanced autonomous form of metal comparable to Borg nanotechnology from Star Trek that they invented during a failed attempt to create Mechagodzilla. Following the nanometal to its source, they find that the remains of Mechagodzilla have spent 20,000 years evolving into a giant mechanised city that might be capable of countering Godzilla’s own 20,000 years of evolution. But by harnessing the power of nanometal, will humanity become the monsters?

Like the first film, this is entertaining nonsense where the social commentary of Godzilla is a bit compromised by the sci-fi setting (although the social commentary and sci-fi ideas are admittedly a slight step up from the first one). Whereas the first film felt like a standalone film until the sequel hook, this one never really feels like its own thing and is very much the middle part of a serialised story. Unlike the first film, there’s an odd feeling of the humanoids having all their tools handed to them on a plate with this one, which undercuts the drama of the film’s core battle sequences with Godzilla. Some of the new bits of design aren’t great and the subtitle translation seems a bit worse than the first film in places.

The first one barely scraped four stars for me but this one is more at the top end of three stars for me. I would definitely say don’t watch any of these unless you’re interested in committing to the entire trilogy as they clearly aren’t designed to work particularly well as standalones. They’re also more harmless fun rather than genuinely good films like Shin Godzilla and Godzilla Minus One.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    I thought they were one of the stupidest moments. “The US has outlawed all artificial intelligence and dedicated itself to eradicating AI globally. Erm, except these AI suicide bombers that we suddenly thought of and decided would be a cool plot point.”

See also MI: Dead Reckoning Part One where Benji throws his computer to the ground to break it to evade the AI, then...
    Spoiler:
  • jdanielp wrote:
    Spoiler:

You could argue the car ran local software and wasn’t connected to the net. Maybe.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Still haven’t seen this but what an absolute beast Cruise is. Absolutely crazy and I bet McQuarrie was bricking it every second.

• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Sonic 2: what the hell is up with that extended wedding sequence.
  • Bollockoff wrote:

I think we played different games.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Cant wait for Sonic 3 extended honey moon sequence.
  • Perched snugly on top of Knuckles, curtains billowing.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Still haven’t seen this but what an absolute beast Cruise is. Absolutely crazy and I bet McQuarrie was bricking it every second.
    this youtube video is for more interesting and exciting than the film, just watch this a couple of times and save yourself 2 hours.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Bollockoff wrote:

I think they basically just needed something for the human characters to do while Sonic was off doing this thing.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Whenever Sonic is off screen, all the other characters should be asking, "where's Sonic?"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!