Looty & "Keep"?
  • Pretty sure nobody is buying FUT cards from previous years once they've moved on to the latest game. Plenty of (mad) people buy old Panini stickers.
  • Its completing a collection isn't it. No one will do that with FUT though.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm the news again. Albeit as a tale of woe rather than any actual news...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53337020
  • Gave up without about a third to go.
    Laughable deflection in the answers.
  • Yeah, it's a tough read. He gets torn a new one in the comments section, hopefully he reads all those and reflects on what a twat he is.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • It's particularly galling when literally the next day they released a Cristiano Ronaldo "Player Of The Month" squad building challenge that required twenty-six squads to be turned in to get him. In laymans terms, it requires players to a cumulative value of 2.3 million coins. In October. Two weeks after the game is released. There is simply no way you'll have the coins or the players to do it unless you're either a major trader, or a major fifa points buyer, or both. Even the big streamers couldn't afford it.
  • For comparison, there was a similar challenge for a Serie A POTM that I did, which needed players of a cumulative value of 160k. I've sworn myself to not buy any Fifa Points this year so had to grind to earn packs and/or coins to get what I needed. Managed to do it and I've completely rinsed my unwanted players in my club but the temptation to fire a score in was and remains so so strong. Guys talking shite.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Ultimate Team is a fucking blight on this whole hobby and every EA exec who contributed can go dive off a fucking 500ft cliff without a parachute. I've posted my own experience with it previously, but its on a par with fruit machines and any other form of gambling. Hideous, disgusting piece of shit thing. Likewise every big streamer and youtuber who contribute (bateson, castro et all. hideous human beings).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I knew this kind of thing has happening but not at such a scale. It's shameful, unethical behaviour. Digital industries seriously need to get their act together. We cannot wash our hands of this.

Software developers need to have some sort of ethical code that becoming a licenced professional requires signing up to.  The ethics of any company are driven by the board and asking developers to build this stuff needs to become something akin to malpractice in finance, law and medicine.   The Fujitsu Post Office software debacle is another example of ethical behaviour being completely off the radar.

And as for AI - that will be considered something to hide behind. It needs sorting now.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Another day another shameless treatment of its community from the devs for EA FC (formerly Fifa).

In years gone past, at different points of the ultimate team cycle, you get some free loyalty packs. They'd look at the amount of days you've logged in since launch, and dole out rewards based on how many days you logged. Like so:
    yO9TWzA.jpg

See? Pretty simple stuff.

Fast forward to this week, and the store within the game out of nowhere (it appeared during the night and not the usual 6pm gmt time that all daily content comes on at) had a new section called "Packs For You". These are literally described as loyalty packs for logging in so many times, but here's the kicker: in order to get them all, you can/have to pay money.

Now, you can of course use the currency of coins to buy them, but you can also load up Points via mtx purchases to get them too.

So for the avoidance of doubt, here's a PEGI 3 rated game offering previously free packs for a fee, and these packs like all the others are just glorified roulettes. The "for you" bit also makes you feel like it is for you, something special. Nope. Everyone's getting the same rewards, and there seems to be only two login thresholds. Ten days and thirty days. Oh wow, ea, you're really spoiling us.

I know what they're doing here. Andrew Wilson, the cyborg cunt, will enjoy himself at whatever event they put on in place of E3 telling us all that EA FC has been a smash hit, earned more, had more engagement, more BOOKINGS, all that shite, just to get it up fifa. Hey shareholders, mind that time yous were all scared us not having the fifa licence would hurt our bottom line? Aha, well think again.

This is all after a massive explosion of EA offering mental untradeable promo packs for months now. Why let people have RTG's and trade their way to success when you can put a £40 pack in the store that "guarantees" special/promo cards? Everyone having untradeable club stock means the tradeable ones are more desirable, but also the overall pack weight is so thin, even getting them is like finding a unicorn. So that means the transfer market is fucked and all that's left is pay pay pay.

In previous years, it was possible to grind/trade/play well to get rewarded and have an account that has zero spend on it, but still have a super competitive team, and not feel like you're missing out. Now that's near enough impossible. Pay To Win.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So you buying FC25?
  • Sigh. The only glimmer of hope is the two new upstarts, Goals and UFL, are almost at the point where they're gonna be doing public testing. They'll most likely be utter pap to begin with but if someone can provide fair and consistent gameplay, and a sense of actual accomplishment, then I'll take a look.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I saw that 2k were rumoured to be doing a game
  • Yeah, if fifa had any brains they'd hit them up. But I did read that because their recent offshoots from their main NBA/PGA staple (that lego Drive one, the kids wrasslin one) did terribly, they're thinking twice.

Genuinely see nothing changing with EA until the main pros/youtube folk make a stand and start boycotting it on given days. A campaign. A hash tag, even.

Hmph.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    What's happening with PES?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah, if fifa had any brains they'd hit them up. But I did read that because their recent offshoots from their main NBA/PGA staple (that lego Drive one, the kids wrasslin one) did terribly, they're thinking twice.

Genuinely see nothing changing with EA until the main pros/youtube folk make a stand and start boycotting it on given days. A campaign. A hash tag, even.

Hmph.
    Or just don't buy FC25
  • What's happening with PES?

They stumble from patch to patch with little fanfare. Its mtx are even more pay to win, much more blatant.

If you're wanting youtubers or pros to just not buy the next one, well, lol. If that's "Gav don't buy it" it just brings me back to an argument in the fifa thread. Is it so bad I just want the fully licensed, more "real" virtual version of the real life game I absolutely adore more than anything to be, I dunno, just a little better? Can't I be a stakeholder as a purchaser and demand better while I'm there? For a sport followed by billions and a game that sells tens of millions each year, is it better or worse I just leave it and deprive myself of a virtual experience of my favourite past time? Kits, players, stadia, current things, these actually do matter to me if this is what I'm looking for. Gameplay in the other games will only take me so far. In the long run, wanting to make a point to big megacorps, I dunno if me doing that is really that beneficial to me.

He says, as he continues his Ubi boycott.

I'm not perfect. I know that.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Absolutely no need to justify it, but there's obviously an element of the whole experience that makes you miserable. I guess if the other bits you've mentioned outweigh the shite, go for it.

I stopped buying FIFA games maybe 7 years ago not because of the game itself being bad, but that they were (obviously) putting it all into Ultimate Team which has never interested me, to the detriment of the rest of the game.

I'm the guy who likes the FIFA narrative mode with cutscenes.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's no Spike Lee ghost friend but what is
  • Those narrative bits always reminds me of the old PS1 Smackdown games and their storylines so I half expect the player character to get put through the manager's desk in a heel turn betrayal moment.
  • It's two sides of my brain clashing. The romanticist football/calcio/joga bonito fan that can sit and name obscure players and have the time of my life vs the knowing, experienced, cynical gamer who's been at the mercy of EA's profit sheet for nigh twenty years now.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I presume the FIFA licence cost is astronomical and loot boxes / card packs etc are the only way to make the games financially viable.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Nah they make money hand over fist.
  • It does allow EA to commission the likes of Wild Hearts and Immortals of Aveum though.
  • davyK wrote:
    I presume the FIFA licence cost is astronomical and loot boxes / card packs etc are the only way to make the games financially viable.
    On the scale of EA's revenue from the game, the licence used to cost them peanuts. But all it was was the name, it didn't give them any player name/kit/stadia rights. Then Fifa said hey wait a min, you're making this much? And asked for more. EA said we don't need you. Hence this really gross and intensive push this year in the game for mtx promo packs that cost up to £40 for one. It's to show they were right all along, to the detriment of you know, actual player satisfaction.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!