Movie Record 2024 Edition
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Come back here when you have finished watching it.  :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Argylle

The trailer made it look more interesting, surprise. Strange casting, some unbelievable (in a bad way) performances and dear god I hope there’s no sequel!
  • 11. The Zone of Interest - 6 Mar
    Chilling portrayal of a Nazi family living a normal and mundane life right next to Auschwitz. Full of real-life horror, the film is worth watching just for the sound design alone.
    [8]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So yeah Enemy was fun, and I'm now onto Prisoners, which has started intriguingly enough.  That's then everything post Polytechnique, which you can seemingly only rent for streaming.  

The obvious follow-up will be a BR double-header, and then the first Dune...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Incendies is still his best.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yep it remains top of my DV list
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Incendies
    Sicario
    Arrival
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Accidentally side tracked onto Zombieland (again, with the daughter this time), and The Favourite. Both entertaining.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Arrival was excellent. Absolutely done me in though, so I've never had the minerals to watch it again. Doubt I ever will after going through the shit with Nate
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Arrival is an interesting second watch. Knowing the full story you appreciate how brilliantly the emotional beats are woven into the overall timeline. It’s genius. Think I’ve watched it about 5 times now. Still remember how it hit me in the cinema.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Naked with an impressive performance from David Thewliss delivering rapid shot firecracker dialogue - the script of this must have been a doorstop. Gritty, grimy, disturbing, funny and touching.  Marvellous film but those who don't like to see realistic violent coitus be warned.   On BFI.
  • Great film. A lot of the dialogue was improvised by actors in character, then cherry picked for the script.
  • Yeah, Naked is an all-timer. Great film, if a tough watch at some points.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    10. Just got back from Dune: Part II and I loved it, it was, for me, so much more engaging than the first film. While Villeneuve can clearly do visuals and world building, there was certainly something off about the pacing of the first movie. He gave more time for the main characters, with Bardem having the most fun, a great character in Stilgar, Butler ridding us of the comical Sting version of Feyd, playing psycho very well and Chalamet was excellent here, growing into the messiah he needed to be. I think I gave the first film an 8, this is easily a 9, bordering on a 10 if it wasn't for the dodgy casting of Walken as the emperor.

11. Aftersun - Two excellent performances really make you believe in a dad and daughter on holiday, viewed through the lens of the daughter’s memories and video-cam footage, it all just felt so natural, not actually acting, though of course they were. I had this underlying sense of unease throughout the film that, having finished it, understand where it was coming from, but isn’t what I thought it was. It’s definitely a film to watch more than once [9]

Edit - forgot to drop Dune: Part II in.
  • My wife doesn't watch films I recommend and it usually amuses me but I'm actually sulking about her not watching Aftersun. I'm fed up with mentioning it so she'll just have to miss out.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You should recommend every single film that comes out.
  • Just had another run at it. She does intend to watch it, apparently.

Then probably thought 'nooot!' while pressing play on something about true crime.
  • My wife noped out of aftersun after about 15 mins, thinks it's shite. I finished and enjoyed it but wouldn't have it near my top list, not because of faults with the film tho.
  • I get to choose what we watch tonight tho and I've lined up a Fairbrass effort called Villain, wish me luck.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think Aftersun is one of those films that stews in your mind and gets much better over time.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Just watched Zelda Williams’ ‘Lisa Frankenstein’. Daft, stupid, but fun. You can pick plenty of holes in it but I can see this gaining a cult following in years to come.
  • Villain must get better over time too because this is definitely at least the third time Nick's watched it.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    My wife noped out of aftersun after about 15 mins, thinks it's shite. I finished and enjoyed it but wouldn't have it near my top list, not because of faults with the film tho.

I think the difference between good and great is often down to how much themes personally resonate with the viewer rather than anything intrinsic in the film itself.

I’ve watched a couple of films recently where I thought they were good and could see why other people would think they are great, but the deep emotional connection wasn’t there.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Villain must get better over time too because this is definitely at least the third time Nick's watched it.

Honestly can't remember it if I have, only Fairbrass I recall are the RotFS series and the excellent Avengement. Watch this space for updates!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So yeah finished The Favourite . Quirky fun. Some good acting. Not totally sure what I think of it overall, but it's something.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    12. American Fiction - Jeffrey Wright on top form as a frustrated writer in an American system obsessed with the "black" experience. It's bang on the money, yes there are funny moments, and the trailer would lead you to see it as a comedy, but there is more emotional heart here than I was expecting and some great supporting performances, with Sterling K. Brown, as his brother being a stand out. I was a bit disappointed with the meta stuff, which, ironically, felt a bit lazy, but then again, I wonder if that was part of the intent, in which case it was genius. [8] or a [9] if I think about it a bit more.

I now really want to see Wright and Giamatti in a film together, I think they'd be great playing off each other, maybe a decent remake of the Odd Couple?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Them (2021) A slightly vacuous scf-fi that plays on the Matrix idea - an advanced race (their origin isn't completely explained) keep humans happy in a looping dream while they keep the world ticking over.  It seems humans knew of their existence when they arrived and demonstrated an ability to make people happy, but soon became invisible to humans.  There doesn't seem to be any payback for the advanced race for doing this though - apart from a sense of relief that our incapability to be happy is being compensated for.

One of them tries to "wake" a subject up and the film is about what happens when he is successful. Not a barnstormer by any means but I do like the fact that it doesn't really explain anything, which seems to have annoyed imdb reviewers who seem to think they are intelligent viewers "but, this is shit." hmmmmm.   I only watched it because its presence on Prime was in its dying minutes.  I'm happy enough to have caught it and at 80mins doesn't demand to much of an investment.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Slightly unexpected Oscar win for The Boy and the Heron. No-one from Ghibli bothered to turn up!
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    American Fiction unexpectedly routs Oppenheimer for Adapted Screenplay. Edit: or maybe not that unexpected but it did anyway.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Poor Things beats Barbie to Production Design, ending Maestro’s Oscar hopes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!