Movie Record 2024 Edition
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    All horror is nonsense to me so that sort of thing doesn't bother me. I have a mate who took a ouija board up into an old abandoned house as a teen and scared the crap out of himself and the assembled company. So kids doing stupid things etc.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Horror is nonsense in a way, it's true, but it has to be true to some kind of internal logic or else it won't have much effect.
  • I just found all the characters deeply unlikable so wanted them to be offed but it lacked the violent, stalker, killer of a slasher to do the offing in a satisfying manner.
  • Part of the reason I enjoyed Talk to Me was because pretty much everyone was horrible, so I had fun crossing my fingers for mass comeuppance.  

It could have been absolutely terrible, and the premise did kinda remind me of the sort of horror film you would've got in the early noughties that was absolutely terrible, but I thought it was worth a watch.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Horror is nonsense in a way, it's true, but it has to be true to some kind of internal logic or else it won't have much effect.

That's why I find it usually disappointing as a genre. It usually starts off with a set of rules and then the wheels come off.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Eternal Daughter The ever great Tilda Swinton plays daughter and mother in this eerie tale. Can't talk too much about the plot without spoiling; but it's plain that not all is what it seems when a mother and daughter visit a hotel for the mother's birthday - a place with many memories as it appears to have been a family home in the past.  Beautifully played by Swinton.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Leave The World Behind

Well this is a bit of a mess of a movie. A potentially interesting premise utterly wasted. A budget misspent. A plot line that ends utterly frustratingly and incomplete. Acting that's all over the place. Dune awful editing / CGI rotations and shit, some proper bad greeenscreening in one scene in particular. Ugh.

A few scenes have decent acting (Ali & his daughter mainly), but yeah, this is not a recommend.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    13. The Northman - I don't get the Eggers love. Admittedly, I've only seen The Lighthouse, which I thought, with the exception of a great bit of acting from Dafoe, was just not very good. But having watched The Northman, I get his skill as a director. I thought it was excellent from start to finish. A really well told tale of revenge, it combined some great acting (big up Kidman here who was brilliant), some very well done action (the raid on the village was a great "one-take" scene), beautifully shot throughout, and the revenge was how revenge should be done. Loved it [9]
  • American Fiction
    Author and academic gets frustrated by the popularity of cheesy ghetto fiction and how it’s held up as the ‘authentic black voice’, gets drunk and knocks out a pastiche. Obviously, it’s an enormous hit and his conscience can’t take it. His own personal demons centre around his family, and his inability to connect with, well, anyone provides the backdrop. This is nicely poised between serious critique and farcical comedy. An entertaining hour or two, although I don’t get the Oscars love - the performances are good, not memorably great.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I liked the film but the supporting actor nomination puzzled me as the guy and his character seemed completely unmemorable to me.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • If anything, he was the comic relief.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I thought Brown was great. Not sure if Oscar great but he was brilliant in the role and I also think it was an important role. There is still a stigma, possibly even growing due to the rise of Alpha male bullshit, in many black communities over being gay, especially if it isn’t played as the obvious cliched camp role. This type of role needs to be normalised.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    13. The Northman - I don't get the Eggers love. Admittedly, I've only seen The Lighthouse, which I thought, with the exception of a great bit of acting from Dafoe, was just not very good. But having watched The Northman, I get his skill as a director. I thought it was excellent from start to finish. A really well told tale of revenge, it combined some great acting (big up Kidman here who was brilliant), some very well done action (the raid on the village was a great "one-take" scene), beautifully shot throughout, and the revenge was how revenge should be done. Loved it [9]

I still would like to know how they did that shot where the camera starts on the shore and then cranes up and over to their boat on the river and then is on the boat and tracking and panning on the boat. It's either one very sneaky edit or some nice special effects work to hide a handover of the camera to someone on the boat.
  • I was expecting to love The Northman but I wasn't keen at all. I thought The Lighthouse was great.

Maybe I should give it another go.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Horses for courses innit, I thought the opposite, but I felt sorry for the poor horses in Northman.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    I thought Brown was great. Not sure if Oscar great but he was brilliant in the role and I also think it was an important role. There is still a stigma, possibly even growing due to the rise of Alpha male bullshit, in many black communities over being gay, especially if it isn’t played as the obvious cliched camp role. This type of role needs to be normalised.

Also enjoyed Brown’s performance and the role made absolute sense in context of broader themes in the film. Oscar noms aren’t always the best barometer and didn’t expect him to win but I thought it was worth recognition, especially considering he was up against De Niro in KOTFM doing nothing and Ruffalo’s shambles in Poor Things.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    26. The Marvels
    It’s not in the lowest tier of Marvel output but not significantly better. It’s one of the few where I felt out of the loop as plot points seemed to rely on previous knowledge of obscure events from previous films/shows that I had to look up. It also seemed relatively low stakes despite the future of the universe being in the balance, maybe partly due to weak villain and rushed run time. A real mixed bag - definitely had enough of Fury but enjoyed Ms Marvel, really well stylised but low on substance. Middle of the road fare. [5]

27. Perfect Days
    What an absolute joy this was. It follows an older man through his daily and weekly routines; at work cleaning public loos around Tokyo, eating, reading, doing chores and tending to his plants. His clear contentment with his place in life is incredibly soothing as he approaches all elements with the same dedication. His routines are occasionally interrupted as others encroach on his small world but rather than these being a trigger for him to reassess or suddenly open up as might be the case in a more hollywoodised version, he mostly just adapts temporarily and its a means to uncover slightly more about his life. The film rests squarely with Yakusho in the lead, who is superb, and Wenders direction which is near faultless. Warming but tinged with sadness, one of the best of the year so far. [9]
  • 13. The Flash
    I had to watch this because I really like The Flash as character, but what a chore this was to sit through. It's so long and so unevenly paced that it's 2.5hrs passes, ironically, much slower than it should. There's some decent bits, particularly when Batman is on screen, but unfortunately the film manages to answer a question that hadn't occurred to me - what could be more annoying than Ezra Miller? Answer: Two Ezra Miller's. Plus, for a film that relies on CGI so much the special effects are at times absolutely laughable - some extremely uncanny valleys and sub-videogame cutscene quality shite really manage to take you out of what little engagement you've managed with the film. Michael Shannon, returning as Zod, looks completely bored - and the relentless cameos from alternate universe heroes lacks any of the charm of recent Spiderfilms. But it's not helped, again, by the terrible effects. Rubbish, but not quite as rubbish as the DC benchmark for burning shit-farms that Aquaman hit. 4
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    24 - Ricky Stanicky

Despite Cena’s best efforts, this is a comedy with very few laughs.
  • Olimite wrote:
    24 - Ricky Stanicky

Despite Cena’s best efforts, this is a comedy with very few laughs.
    I enjoyed it. Had quite the giggle at the wank songs
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Land of Bad

Shit title aside this is a proper old school decent budget military action thing. And it's fucking great. Fat Russell Crowe, constant action, bombs and gore. The kinda thing in the 90s that woulda done 200mil at the box office but is now slapped on streaming and forgotten.

Big whole bag of dumb great fun get on it.

[7.5]
  • Yeah it was pretty good - elevated by Crowe but the 2 Hemsworths were also solid, as was fella off of Heroes.
    Very “Navy Seals” style army man action.
  • Sounds fun. Which service?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Gremill wrote:
    Sounds fun. Which service?

JustWatch says it's not available on any of the streaming services :(
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I watch films on my phone from a streaming pirate website, the way Scorsese would want.
  • Hahaha
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I also only use one bluetooth earbud, so listen to the films in mono only in my right ear, with subtitles on, the way Nolan would want.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    28. Dune: Part Two
    On first impression, I didn't enjoy this as much as part one but I think that was somewhat due to my expectations of long, epic battle scenes (blame trailers) whereas it was actually slower and more considered, punctuated with action. On reflection since then I suspect this will hold up much better and keen to rewatch. 

To get negatives out of the way, I thought the overall pace was a bit off - the time taken to build Paul's story was needed and really benefited the climax so perhaps more due to other characters having limited screen time. The Harkonnens and moreso the emporer, his daughter and the bene gesserits all seemed short changed, particurlarly given how critical the BG seem to the whole arc. I say all that as someone that's never read the books so maybe that's just how it goes but I wonder if a longer cut might actually seem more balanced?
    The only other complaint was Zendaya. I thought she was mostly flat and one note in this, and acted off the screen by pretty much everyone around her. Even by Brolin in the few moments they shared.

That said, they are quite minor when compared to the spectacle and achievement of the film as a whole. Characters are incredibly well realised, a swathe of brilliant performances, stunning visuals and some absolutely superb set pieces. The guerrilla skirmishes were tense and tightly choreographed whilst the scale of the large battles did not disappoint, even if I did think them a bit brief. I'm sure there will be more layers to appreciate on subsequent viewings so might even consider another cinema visit, maybe changing the score but for now it's an [8]
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Am watching Madame Web so you don’t have to.
  • I presume Madame Web is no relation to Charlotte?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!