Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    In the cinema for godzilla X Kong

Blissfully empty thus far

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Lovely! Enjoy!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Pizza, wedges and Beverly Hills Cop on Netflix.

Lovely
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Get the fuck outta here!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Banana + tailpipe = gold
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I ain’t gonna fall for no banana in the tailpipe :-D
  • You take those Bananas
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    In the cinema for godzilla X Kong

Blissfully empty thus far

5 other people in the end. Film was nonsense and a bit of a mess....good craic but much of the spectacle is lost during the underground hollow earth parts because of no sense of scale. Was a lark above ground though where these films really need to be set. Not enough of that in this entry in the series. Fun though. WIll post proper thoughts in the 2024 thread.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Apple love the moon.

• Don't watch many films these days, but enjoy a good corridor crew ep.

This is particularly great. Re-do of the "lost" better than Green screen technique from Mary poppins

https://youtu.be/UQuIVsNzqDk?si=js0YUB8cmyv6CbY1
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Apple love the moon.

Post war USA was the golden era despite the fears of communism. More to do with that than anything else - Apollo was a crowning achievement (even though it was very much an international effort - loads of Brit and German expertise moved to NASA then).  US has to take credit for having a go and building the infrastructure for doing it.

Scarlett is consistently gorgeous and talented, ain't she? Sigh.  This does look fun.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Civil War (2024) - Advanced IMAX screening of the new Alex Garland film. The film takes place in the dying days of an American Civil War. The president is holed up in Washington DC as the Western Forces advance and prepare to achieve final victory. A team of journalists decide to embark on a near-suicidal mission to cross hostile territory and attempt to reach the president to capture his final moments. It’s difficult to discuss the story further without spoilers.

This is competently put together with some good minimalist performances from the main cast. There are some extremely tense moments building up to explosive action towards the end.

I think some of the film’s power is supposed to be in the American audience seeing a realistic representation of their country falling so low… but we’re not American and I’m not sure it has the same impact. Also, it not that gritty, it’s often quite movie-ish and not particularly cinéma vérité-style.

It was fairly good but I can’t say it impacted me hugely. The IMAX is probably the best way to see it but it’s just mastered in IMAX not filmed in it and while there are some bigger budget scenes, I wouldn’t say it’s like, woah, I’m so glad I saw that in IMAX. If you saw Dune: Part Two and Godzilla X Kong in IMAX and are now bankrupt then don’t sweat it, you saw the right ones.

Good, but there’s a lot of good stuff in the cinema at the moment. Have you seen Dune: Part Two? Have you seen Monkey Man? Have you seen The First Omen? ★★★★☆
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Have you seen Seize Them! yet, ERE? Heard mixed things - ranging from "very funny" to "absolutely bloody awful" and have now anointed you The Movie Judger.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I decided not to bother as I’m trying to avoid deliberately watching probable three-star films, tbh.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Nyad (2023) - I started watching this out of a grim sense of obligation to finish the Oscar nominations but ended up absolutely loving it. Annette Bening plays swimmer Diana Nyad as she attempts to complete the 110-mile swim from Cuba to Florida in her 60s, thirty years after she had attempted and failed the swim. Jodie Foster plays her coach Bonnie, with their relationship forming the heart of the story. Both Bening and Foster were Oscar nominated for their roles, assisted by just how meaty those roles are. It was directed by the directing duo behind Free Solo, turning their hands to narrative filmmaking.

The story itself is just a great real-life story, well-executed for the screen. I got really swept up in the emotional roller-coaster. I thought this was really good stuff, should have been in the Best Films noms for my money. ★★★★★
  • Fiction? I thought it was a true story?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Aye, it is a true story. Definitely not fiction. Foster and Benning spent time with the actual women they’re playing.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Should’ve probably said ‘narrative filmmaking’ rather than ‘fiction’.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
  • Interesting! For some reason I’m always fascinated with the differences between ‘true stories’ and reality.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Nimona (2023) - This was OK, I guess. The first commoner knight in the history of the kingdom, Ballister Boldheart, is framed for a dastardly crime at his knighting ceremony. He teams up with a shapeshifter, considered a dangerous monster within the kingdom, to try to clear his name.

I didn’t really get on with the visual look of the film. The aspect that works the best are the characters but there are main characters that are so bland they look like generic background characters (in one scene a main character briefly appears for a joke and I didn’t realise it was them until I pieced it together after they reappeared later in the film). There is also one particular angle that makes character models look incredibly awkward and unaesthetic. Instead of making sure this angle never appears in the film, it is used prominently on two occasions. The backgrounds make a stab at minimalism but look cheap, dull and bland, like a badly art-directed 3D indie game.

The story is a bit better but is heavily humour oriented (often a modern awkwardy style of comedy I don’t find particularly funny) and sometimes feels like it’s falling into the common comedy-drama trap of being neither truly funny nor genuinely emotionally engaging. I think this might have the most prominent LGBT themes I’ve seen in a major animated movie and there are some other interesting social commentary themes and metaphors, but obviously that’s only so much use when you’re not fully taken in by the general sweep of the story.

A random specific point (this is only a spoiler for a very early plot point):
    Spoiler:

It’s not bad by any means and there’s stuff in there I enjoyed but I really wasn’t wowed by it. I can see some people maybe getting on better with it though. ★★★☆☆
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Only realised tonight that my copy of Aliens: Directors Cut on Apple has been upgraded to 4K. Haven’t watched it in a few years and oh my. I forgot how great this film is.

It’s up there with Predator for quotable lines (Hey Vasquez you even been mistaken for a man? no have you?) but it’s a much better film.

I also think it may be the best sequel ever made. I know a lot of people have love for Empire Strikes Back, which is great, but I think this film does a much better job of moving the story of the original on, while not trying to recreate the tense horror. Instead Cameron goes in a different direction by turning it into an action film. It’s just brilliant.
  • Coincidentally, I saw this last night. Looks interesting.

• b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Ooo will give that a watch.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    I also think it may be the best sequel ever made. I know a lot of people have love for Empire Strikes Back, which is great, but I think this film does a much better job of moving the story of the original on, while not trying to recreate the tense horror. Instead Cameron goes in a different direction by turning it into an action film. It’s just brilliant.

That's quite a claim but it is in the same company as Godfsther pt2, ESB and T2.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heard 5 of Nolan's films are getting reruns in cinema.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Would be good if that included IMAX. I’ve seen some in it but missed others.
  • b0r1s wrote:

$40 just for a digital download though. Spendy.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Couple of things I spotted looking for that Nolan thing in my local Vue listings:
    * The Despicable Me/Minion films are all being re-shown there.
    * The Transformers 40th Anniversary Event, which I thought might be America exclusive is actually coming to the UK. I think it’s like the first four episodes of the TV series and some extra stuff Episode 1 is splitscreened with a ‘live’ table recording of the cast and the rest of the episodes play out as normal.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:

$40 just for a digital download though. Spendy.

Ooo I’ll give that a watch when it’s on the streamers :-)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!