Just completed
  • Horizon Zero Dawn PS5 - Platinum 

Started this game in 2017 and seven years later managed to drop the platinum. 
    It remains one of my favourites and mainly because the world building is exquisite, the combat is fun and close to TLOU in terms of crafting and sneaking if you want. At the end of the run I was an absolute badass and able to swat even the biggest Thunderjaw out my way. Moving on to Forbidden West next for another plat.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Rev wrote:
    Horizon Zero Dawn PS5 - Platinum  Started this game in 2017 and seven years later managed to drop the platinum.  It remains one of my favourites and mainly because the world building is exquisite, the combat is fun and close to TLOU in terms of crafting and sneaking if you want. At the end of the run I was an absolute badass and able to swat even the biggest Thunderjaw out my way. Moving on to Forbidden West next for another plat.
    Cheers, you inspired me to download from my pile of shame on the SteamDeck
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Rev wrote:
    Horizon Zero Dawn PS5 - Platinum  Started this game in 2017 and seven years later managed to drop the platinum.  It remains one of my favourites and mainly because the world building is exquisite, the combat is fun and close to TLOU in terms of crafting and sneaking if you want. At the end of the run I was an absolute badass and able to swat even the biggest Thunderjaw out my way. Moving on to Forbidden West next for another plat.
    Cheers, you inspired me to download from my pile of shame on the SteamDeck

Good stuff.

Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Yakuza Kiwami

Had this two thirds done for ages and got distracted. A big push today saw it off.
    Not as good as 0 but still great. Really enjoyed the whole Majima system.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Yakuza Kiwami Had this two thirds done for ages and got distracted. A big push today saw it off. Not as good as 0 but still great. Really enjoyed the whole Majima system.
    You have inspired me to go back to it. Also two thirds through, "what are the chances?" (harry hill voice).

• Yakuza Kiwami 2

The step up into the new engine is the biggest strength of Kiwami 2 (I think I'm headed for a step back down again for 3) but it's not the only strength. I enjoyed the story of this one more than 1, Ryuji is a good nemesis for Kiryu I like the whole equally matched similar background thing.

The ending had so many spins I was dizzy remembering who was fucking over who and why.

Majima, less fun this time. Good cut scenes but the mini game wasn't great, didn't bother after the first go.
    Still got the Majima chapters to play, watched the opening cut scene which was good.

So far
    0,K2,K1
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Ordering checks out so far
  • 0 is going to be tough to top.
  • Majima Chapters done.
    A nice little addition.
    Didn't realise if I'd played earlier I could have ported stuff to Kiryu's story. Oh well I was drowning in cash and tat anyway.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    0 is going to be tough to top.

I diverge a little in later Kiryu paths from mainstream, but if you wanted me final rankings it's, from best to worst, ignoring OG 1 and 2 -
    Spoiler:
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Haven't finished 8 yet.
  • Only done 0 and 6 both of which I enjoyed but needed a long break between the two of them.

• Just rolled the credits on Ghostrunner 2 on the PS5. Was included in this month’s PS+ and as I’d enjoyed the first one, I thought I’d like this too and I really did.

Both GR games are tough tough games, but they also have that Meatboy style one more go about them, and thankfully the game is quick to put you back in when you inevitably die. I think the checkpointing on the sequel was much improved, which helped too.

If you like a challenge, would recommend.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Batbarian: Testament of the Primordials (PS5)

So moot hated this and only very reluctantly finished it, and Cinty broadly agreed with him, before I got suckered in to a bet to complete it with at most one assist (they'd both basically chucked them all on to get through the thing AIUI).  

And, well, I didn't mind it as much as they did. Or at least, the jumping didn't bother me, basic progression seemed fine, combat was simple yes but I felt ok with it given the fairly simplistic vibe to the whole thing. And while they're were the occasional tricky "change bat mid jump" bs it was pretty rare and optional.

I think I may have skipped some bits though, given moot got some lightning power up I had no idea about...

My enjoyment did waver by the end though, it's fair to say. Its victory lap was unduly tedious, it seemed to think people care about the narrative in games like this, and without the damage assist some bosses were pretty spongey so I was glad I turned that on towards the end.

If it had stopped at the 8h mark it might have squeezed a [7], a bit more love in a few places even an [8], but I think I'm giving a slightly harsh [6] in the end. It's fine, but I'm glad it's over, and have zero intention of ever going back.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Actual one actual annoyance with it: if you die, you can either go back to the last bonfire or a more recent checkpoint. But the former loses all progress since the bonfire, while the latter leaves you with the health you had at that checkpoint. And the checkpoints are arbitrary and not signposted. So you can easily get to one with negligible health left. In which case you're potentially pretty fucked. Not good game design imho.
  • Top work muzz. I paid up ages ago though so technically you didn't have to bother.
  • Volgarr the Viking done, again. Top 25 ever, absolutely made for me.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Volgarr the Viking done, again. Top 25 ever, absolutely made for me.
    Need to give it a go again, will put it on the steam wishlist

• EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Endless Ocean Luminous (Nintendo Switch) - This is a multiplayer focused spin-off from the Endless Ocean series, sort of like Endless Ocean 99 except with only 30 players. The game pops you in a procedurally generated chunk of ocean and tasks you with exploring, scanning fish, collecting salvage and tracking down special anomalous fish so you can summon mysterious ocean life forms known as UMLs. Importantly, interacting with certain things and completing certain tasks can unlock one of the 99 slots in the Mystery Board, a mysterious artefact that holds the key to saving the World Coral and thus all life on Earth itself.

In the main, you’ll be doing a LOT of scanning fish and this is the main metric by which new missions in the story mode are unlocked. Some reviews did criticise the game for this, but I think that’s slightly unfair - you aren’t supposed to be a relentless scanning machine, you’re supposed to just enjoy the gameplay loop whenever you feel like some ocean-based relaxation and gradually meet unlock criteria organically.

That said, the game only has the one, very repetitive, gameplay loop and it does eventually get old. When that happens, you can find online guides to finish off the Mystery Board quickly so you can reach the end of the story, but the game does require you to encounter three rare variants of UMLs to unlock the final mystery. I only unlocked one organically through play and had to grind for the other two, which took hours and was excruciatingly dull.

Overall, while the game isn’t massively engaging, it is relaxing and pleasant and I found myself drawn back to it until I finally polished it off today. It’s not the world greatest game and I do wonder if it should have been cheaper or given away as a Nintendo online subscription freebie but it’s OK. [6]
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I've just finished Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2.

I should probably start by saying that I enjoyed the first game. I wouldn't want to play it again, but the experience is one that stuck with me and, from memory, was very much a story about a protagonist battling psychosis. I remember the whole way through wondering whether Senua was or wasn't experiencing what was happening to her at all, or if it was some kind of hallucination that was wrapped over her reality. There wasn't much of a game there, but the overall package was impressive.

Now, I'm either not quite getting Hellblade 2, or this is a confused mess. The game starts with Senua captive on a boat. She's a slave being taken as sacrifice to the gods. This time she gathers companions who experience the same events as her (albeit they sometimes conveniently disappear) and Senua is referred to as a 'seer' multiple times - someone who can tap into the otherside. This paints the picture that the psychosis/voices from the first game were nothing of the sort. Senua isn't 'mad' now, she's enlightened in some way, if we trust what is happening on screen.

On the way to confront the person responsible for taking the slaves (the overall objective of sorts), Senua battles some giants. Her companions see these giants, as well as other people, making them very real in the world. Unless, I'm to accept that (a) the whole thing is in Senua's mind, or (b) all of the characters have developed some sort group fever dream. Everything in this game is pointing to Senua now not being someone who is mentally ill, but someone who is battling her inner demons (caused by her mother/father relationship) while at the same time overcoming a very real, but mythical threat.

However, when Senua eventually makes her way to the person in charge of the slavers, it's revealed that there was no giant to make sacrifices to at all. It was just something the guy made up to stay in power through fear. He's portrayed as the giant this time, but he's just a power hungry man (quick, let's draw some parallels to Senua's abusive father). We're just conveniently forgetting that Senua has defeated two giants already, alongside an average of three other people, who are portrayed (one in particular) as a very trustworthy person. Do they exist or don't they? Perhaps they do, but just not here, or perhaps they don't and I'm supposed to accept that the past 6-7 hours of this story didn't happen at all.

At the end, Senua has a choice to make. I won't say what it is for those who want to experience it themselves, but I will say the game makes it for you. You are, after all, playing an exceptionally linear, narrative experience. A very confused one, but it's straight as a line and the player has no agency over it at all (to the point it sometimes feels like it's playing itself). The game then closes with the line: "Her story is not written. There is always a choice." I mean, fuck me. A fucking choice? I didn't do one thing in the game that was a choice and even the choice at the end wasn't even fucking one. Arrgehehjehf. I feel like I'm the one battling psychosis now. Maybe the real Hellblade 2 was the voices of the imaginary friends we made along the way?

With the above in mind, I can completely see why this has been getting 5's and 10's. Technically, it's impressive, but as commented elsewhere earlier, it's not baked in the oven for seven years impressive. There's a lot of sleight of hand going on learnt from the Switch port of the first one, with FMV style backgrounds that are very well hidden, but there all the same. I can see how some may get swept up in all that and badge it the next big thing. For me, it's more a [5], maybe even lower. It's undone the good (and brave) work of the first game because someone thought bigger/more was better. That person is as equally stupid as the product they put out.

In case you haven't worked it out, I'm actually cross about a stupid game.
  • I'm reflecting on this and I'm still fucking raging.

Late addition to this, so I don't add another post:

It's clear to me that someone high up decided that a mentally ill protagonist wasn't cool, or what was needed for the brand from an ongoing narrative perspective. So Senua isn't suffering from psychosis anymore. Sure she's got a little trauma in there, but what hero doesn't? They all need a little dark side in them, don't they? But they can't be mentally ill, that's not going to sell games. If that is a conversation that happened, and I fear it was, fuck the people responsible for this game.
  • well i didn't finish the first game, kind of enjoyed what i played of it though, and then had one go (and not sure i'll go back) on the 2nd, and this review seems about right to me.
    the first game it was a mystery, and the 'psychosis' meant you were never really sure if what was happening was really happening, so it kept things interesting.

in the second it just seems that she can hear dead people, and they never fucking shut up!
    i quite like the combat, it's visceral and clumsy and feels physical. but everything else is very slow and boring, the couple of puzzles i got to were the exact same things from the first game....and the 'psychosis' elements just began to grate. no offence intended if it's very realistic and people suffer like that....but it wasn't an interesting 'in someone else's shoes' experiment, it was just annoying and coupled with a dull game...I've got better ways to spend my time.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I smashed it in a couple of days. Not a great game by a long shot but the fancypants visuals plus the fact that it was very cheap to play (less than the price of a cinema trip with a drink) means I've got no major problems with the weaker elements. Massively Marmite but there aren't many games like it really. It's just a dumber do-over and I've (often happily) wasted more than 6hrs on film sequels that fit that description in my time.
  • Dredge. Did anyone on here get into that? Really enjoyed it.
  • Yeah I thought it was great. Didn't quite complete it so should really go back to it.
    I neglected levelling up my crab pots then needed them late game so will have to grind them up iirc.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Same. The crab pots were definitely something to do all the way through because doing them late on is boring. Great game, full of atmosphere. I can't seem to think about Dredge without also thinking about Dave the Diver, Dredge was easily the better of the two
  • I might start again at some point I think. I've forgotten most of it anyway.
  • I didn't really upgrade the crab pots tbh. I only used them two or three times. Might have spent one upgrade point on one upgrade but that's it. The basic ones do the trick for the main missions.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!