Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Less than a PC of similar spec, due to a) selling them at a reduced cost, perhaps even at a loss and b) mass production of identical hardware.

That's the hope, anyway. Given that the PS3 launched at a ridiculous £525, I wouldn't be surprised if we see supra-half-grand prices at launch for the PS4/XBone.

@hylian_elf: Definitely worth playing Metro 2033, it's one of my favourite games of the (now last) generation.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Elf just made me laugh, has £300 for a set of art books but thinks he needs to be 'rich' for a PC? Mine cost about that!

Personal definitions are fun.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Leave it alone, please!

Back to the game; that change of weather was the first time in a long time my jaw hit the floor.

It's impressive, but soooo generic. I've either overdosed on FPS', or they've all become so predictable and forgettable they kinda meld into one.

Absolutely no inclination to go back. That says it all.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Elf just made me laugh, has £300 for a set of art books but thinks he needs to be 'rich' for a PC? Mine cost about that! Personal definitions are fun.
    Not 'rich' for 'a PC'. 'Rich' for 'a PC that I then upgrade all the time to keep it high spec so that games run better on it than on console'. One off £300 for a set of extremely rare art books is rather quite different. I probably am relatively 'rich', but not enough to spend semi-regularly to keep my PC top spec. Example, Crysis on Xbox looks lovely. My £500 computer from just a year ago can barely run it on high settings. I feel that I would need to keep upgrading to enjoy PC 'advantages' over consoles, but I may be wrong.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Don't tempt me to start experimenting with PC gaming. Don't tempt me to the dark side.

(How much for a gaming PC now, one that I wouldn't need to upgrade again for a few years and should be able to play most games really well?)

(I'm not Rich. I'm doing alright though.)
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    About 7-9 hundred quid to be completely comfortable with nice higher end components.
  • Well this is interesting. Currently reading through article SG linked to above.
  • You'll find PC gaming to be very reasonable compared to consoles. If you want the absolute best be prepared to pay for it. If you want merely much better than consoles then it's fairly cheap. Factor in the games cost and you'll save money. 

You won't get Zelda, Halo or Uncharted, but you will get all ports, Valve, Greenlight and Modding. 

Don't underestimate modding;

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/top//?

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    No Zelda, no deal. ;)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Well, I'm not expecting a gaming PC to replace any of the consoles, let alone a Nintendo one! Each console has it's own exclusives I wouldn't want to miss.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Elf just made me laugh, has £300 for a set of art books but thinks he needs to be 'rich' for a PC? Mine cost about that! Personal definitions are fun.
    Not 'rich' for 'a PC'. 'Rich' for 'a PC that I then upgrade all the time to keep it high spec so that games run better on it than on console'. One off £300 for a set of extremely rare art books is rather quite different. I probably am relatively 'rich', but not enough to spend semi-regularly to keep my PC top spec. Example, Crysis on Xbox looks lovely. My £500 computer from just a year ago can barely run it on high settings. I feel that I would need to keep upgrading to enjoy PC 'advantages' over consoles, but I may be wrong.

That's why I said personal definitions. My PC runs everything better than my Xbox. Admittedly I bought it a year after the slim came out, and I got a bargain, but the 'constantly upgrading' thing is a bit of a nonissue these days, as SG has shown. Also the wealth of free indie stuff is nuts. Too much to play in a lifetime.

• LOVING this game, and it runs lovely on my pc with everything up to 11
  • £29.99 for console versions on amazon at the minute. Quite tempted.
  • its weird cause i hated 2033, but this fixes all the problems, from wonky gunplay to being horrendously unoptimised. The art really is fantastic, inspiring, even, i spend long stretches looking at walls from different angles and seeing how every different surface is lit, and spending some good time figuring out how they got the organic movements of a lot of the creatures looking so amazing

I swear they pull every feasible trick in the book out on this game here and there, very impressive
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    And all from a studio that didn't even have swivel chairs.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I'm not sure how far I am through, but the variety of environments is amazing. It's not all dingy tunnels. It (and the first really) is the closest we've got to Half Life 3.
  • Wasted an entire filter gawking at a sunset.
  • The guy doing shadow puppets made me smile such a big smile, i was just like 'yep, we're getting there'
  • Picked this up for £15 yesterday. Really enjoying it. Nice to play a FPS that has some creativity.

Loads of nice little touches. 

Probably my number 1/2 FPS of the year.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • I'm trying to buy a Season Pass for this. Is there anywhere online that sells them?
  • I am an idiot. Was bottom of the list on the Metro Xbox.com page.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    They were going cheap in the sale a couple of days ago. Does absolutely no good to you now like, sorry.
  • Ah balls. Was it a sale directly on Xbox?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yeah, through the dashboard. It was a daily one too, so blink and you'll miss it. This, AssCrud and a few other season passes were going cheap.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Just bought this and Crysis 3 in Game's 2 for £20 thing. Needed some FPS in my life, and liking how 360 games are going way down in price due to the One. Fuck next gen.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Next gen is a perfect time to catch up with the last gen stuff you missed out on, I reckon. My list currently has Metro Last Light, Gears 3 and Judgement, Halo 4 and Dead Space 3 on it. They'll be peanuts by the time I get around to them.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    This is brilliant btw. Gorgeous too.
  • Swirl, if it makes a difference, I found Judgement boring and gave up. But I loved Gears 3.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Noted. It'll be at least 11 months before I get to play it anyway.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!