No Man's Sky
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Isn't it coming to XB1 eventually?
    Apparently not?
    This has not been confirmed. I believe the wording was something like 'First on PS4' at the conference, no 'only on PS4' speak. I know MS have been courting the dev and even offered to help them out when they got flooded out of their offices. I also find it impossible to think that a indie dev would not release this on PC. 
    It's possible they are still negotiating with Sony and didn't want to use definite terms.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Regardless of whether this comes to Xbone or not, its amazing that a 3-man team has blown everything else that was shown at E3 completely out of the water.

Might just re-kindle my interest in videogames a title like this.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Kinda makes you wonder how it takes 70+ teams to make a Ubisoft game.
  • I thought it was a three man team for a tech demo and since then they've had more employees due to investment?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Chief wrote:
    Kinda makes you wonder how it takes 70+ teams to make a Ubisoft game.

The really big AAA games are made by teams of 200+ now, even 300 in some cases.  Doesn't always equal greatness though eh.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Yeah pretty sure its a lot more than 3 dudes on it now.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • It's 10.

The thing I found interesting is the stakes get higher towards the middle of the galaxy. Self regulating difficulty FTW.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Their play testing team is a bunch of AI bots that explore and take animated gifs. They can take a glance at a screen and see 100 planets to check if the rules they're writing are throwing up enough variation or any game breaking shit.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I've only just got around to watching the MS/Sony press events and I have to say this game was the most enticing thing on show. It could be very special, but then again it could be dull as fuck after the first hour.
    Get schwifty.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Like fucking a supermodel.

This should alleviate your fears a bit.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Actually it doesn't. I think I'm going to need to see some hefty gameplay demos to do that. Still positive, though.
    Get schwifty.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    No faith in an ambitious dev's words Raiz? I blame that Molycunt.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Faith? Perhaps not. Admiration? Most certainly. That article doesn't really go into any meaningful details. The bounty hunts, for instance: am I going to be chasing my target through an asteroid belt one minute and giving chase on foot through an alien forest the next. If so that's great, but the game's going to need some spiffy AI, because I'm going to want some clever emergent gameplay if I don't have a story to focus on.
    Get schwifty.
  • Gonzo wrote:
    Elmlea wrote:
    Isn't it coming to XB1 eventually?

Apparently not?

Console debut on ps4 means xbone eventually

Yeah its just a timed exclusive, which I never really understand.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Sandbox = meh

IMHO etc etc
  • I sincerely hope it doesn't turn out to be a sightseeing tour but that's the vibe I'm getting at the moment.
    Raiziel wrote:
    Am I going to be chasing my target through an asteroid belt one minute and giving chase on foot through an alien forest the next.

I love the sound of this. From the sound of that article it could well be a possibility. Here's hoping. If there's no multiplayer it would have to be pretty damn impressive to not fall into the quagmire of a classic GTA pursuit mission.
  • I played Frontier for 3-4 months non stop and that had no sensible story whatsoever and could have been considered a sightseeing game, but thats all it needs to be, somewhere to escape to and the the normal thing you do in that universe but that universe be significantly different to your own. It's definitely taking the 'do as you like' side of sci-fi, in good ole iain m banks style, its not getting into the science, just using it as a platform to experience something fantastic. With the OR a bit more advanced as it is (I imagine the 2nd dev kit will be pretty much there, roll on mid july) it could supply you with enough to wander around in and explore and just look at for everyone.

Things like these can be done by a smaller team because much much less people are needed when much less things are being directly authored. If you take the latest sequence where you leave the cave, see the dinosaurs etc - all that was created using random combinations of relatively simply authored content to create a complex whole - there's no direction there regarding story or progression, just a random collection of values, constrained by preset rules, and a player exploring them. The huge teams are needed for projects where thousands of things need to be specifically designed and modelled, unique behaviours programmed, specific routes through the content designed with cutscenes, voice-overs, mocap, team direction, etc etc etc so yeah, procedurally generated universes with no story to follow mean a lot less people to get a very beautiful game but the trade-off is a lack of direction and the player being content to accept what kind of game it is, where you need to be happy to simply travel around and look at things and never expect to have a specific direction to go in

I think this look brilliant though and special mention be given to the 70s/80s sci fi book cover aesthetics and the music which i think is fecking glorious
  • I hope that isn't just ad music. Splash some cash on the soundtrack and get a proper synth score written. Metroid prime style exploring music that ties into the terrain. Jungle explore, jungle peril, jungle "oh fuck, monster". Beach music, desert music, mountain, ice cap, cave, volcano. 

Underwater should take a leit out of MGS2's soundtrack. All percussive sounds drop out and leave the dreamy backdrop alone.

Same ideas for space/asteroid belt/near planet/near sun/in a fight.

Fuck it. I'm gonna have to do it. I can't trust anyone else with this.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    65dos have done at least one soundtrack before, I hope to land them for our next project.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Scoring your pimp walk? I don't think they do that kind of thing.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    They'll crack eventually.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Whilst I generally dig the Forbidden Planet-esque colour palette that's on display here, a part of me still hankers for the black starry void that blankets Elite and Star Citizen.  Perhaps as you traverse closer to the centre of the universe, things will become a bit more grim and space like? 

Still, you cant really argue with the art and colour scheme choices - they're obviously going for something completely different from your trad space shooter, and good on them for that.

This made me chortle though

What the E3 and earlier vids aren't making clear is that only about 10% of the worlds are inhabited. Most are barren space baubles incapable of sustaining life.  Which makes finding ETs all the more thrilling I guess....at least that's what they claim here.

I'd love it if once you were on the surface, you had to hunt down a weak life signal on yer scanner as a planet wide sandstorm raged, forcing you to seek shelter in a cave system. And then the bleeps get stronger....

Glad they've cleared one thing up - this ain't an MMO.  Each player starts on their own planet across the far flung universe - and whilst they are still being cagey on whether players will actually meet, they're saying the odds are astronomically small.

I'm reading this as form of asynchronous multiplayer, where you might get to see other players footprints (e.g. who found what planet) but won't ever get to say hello.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I don't usually do pre-orders, especially for a genre I don't play by a small unproven team that haven't even really said much about what the game is. This time tho, I'm gonna say they can have my money. I have to reward a move as bold as this.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Indeed.  I'm in day one for this bad boy.
    Get schwifty.
  • It'd be cool if you could terraform planets. Also I would really like a Waking Mars life-in-caves-under-the-surface style scenario.
  • There is a hair and beauty salon in Chelsea called Skye Norman Hair & Beauty. Skye Norman is exactly the same name as this game's title. However, based on what we have seen so far, there is very little in the way of hair and beauty related goings on in this game and, unless this changes, I think that it will disappoint a lot of people.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    There are hooves though. And hence mani/pedis.
  • I'd be in on a day 1 PC version in a flash
  • Reason enough to buy a PS4 for.
  • If it previews/reviews well it'll have me buying one.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!