Best Horror Films of All Time (Halloween wooo)
‹ Previous123456
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Stolen from RLLM, seeing as Halloween is coming up, how about we do proper best horror film of all time type lists? Simply list ten in order, I'll add up points and such on the 30th and announce the top ten on the 31st. One point for tenth, two for ninth etc. I'll bung my list up first (cue YOU'RE FUCKING WRONG MATE responses) and let's see. Or not.

DS (the best) list:

10. [Rec.]

This really is the culmination of the found footage genre. I took the then missus to see this (I'd watched it prior to its cinema release) and to sit there, knowing what was coming and seeing the reaction of everyone in that semi-packed theatre was immense. Audible groans of fear, people shifting in their seat, the missus grabbing my hand as if she was deep in labour at that scare. Balagueró is a master of the genre (The Nameless, Darkness, Fragie and Sleep Tight are all solid films in their own right), but this little baby just blew me away. Its very, very rare for a horror to absolutely grip me these days, but the intensity, and relentless pace just takes this a step above.

9. Session 9

I must've seen this ten times since its release, ever since walking into Blockbuster in 2002 and randomly picking it up, and it never disappoints. Filled with atmosphere, and a very slow burn coupled with a real unease throughout. When the recordings begin to play, its as if you are in them, part of this backstory that just builds and bleeds into the frame. It doesn't go for out and out shock (again, rare these days), and allows the relationships between the lead four/five to develop. Still has a line I oft repeat which gave me the chills on first watch.

8. The House of the Devil

So that Ti West eh? ABCs segment aside, he's easily the most promising horror director around, but then when you produce something like this so early in your career, its gonna be a bit tough to match the heights. Again, its a film that harks back to the 'glory years', with a build that seems to go on and on.Samantha, babysitting someone she didn't originally anticipate, in an old, creaking home, already creeped out by the magnificent Tom Noonan, and really there's not much more to it than that. A girl, a house...its a staple of horror. I recently revisited it, and it had me hooked from that first phonecall to the very end.

7. The Blair Witch Project

The only film to ever terrify me. I was 15, my auntie had got hold of a VHS copy of this, and it was the viewing that night for me and my cousin, alone, in the dark with the wind going off on one outside. Neither of us slept well that night. I'll never revisit it as I know watching it now, as a full grown adult, it'd be laughably bad, but at that age, in the dark winter, fucking hell.

6. Ringu

This opened my eyes to (what is generally vastly overrated) Asian horror, and its still the best example (I'd include Audition but I don't really see it as horror). That video, that end (holy shit)...it just seeps creepiness. Again I was young (just turned 16) and it was rented on a whim from the local video shop that didn't care about age ratings. Its just an all round classic.

5. Haute Tension

Yeah there are those that rave about how it didn't make sense, and it probably didn't, who knows (it did to me, don't make me explain why). This is all about the ride, the unflinching, mercenary violence, the pace at which it builds and builds and doesn't let up. From the first ring of that doorbell, its over an hour of visceral, horrific brutality. Its a modern video nasty, and I absolutely applaud it. I rented it, watched it, then immediately watched it again. Only one other horror has made me do that.

4. Alien

Near perfection, this. It'd be number one if not for personal preference. Its as close to horror as you can get, something huge, ominous, terrifying creeping after you, with nowhere to hide and nowhere to run. You have to face it, there's no other way. You're staring at a living embodiment of a nightmare, a nightmare that will not rest, or quit until everything in its path is fucked up. Its...yeah. You all know its amazing.

3. The Shining

Similar to Alien I don't need to put much for this as its been well covered. A slow descent into insanity, everything on screen mirroring a psyche crumbling beneath itself. Nicholson's best performance, horror everywhere. Fantastic.

2. Angst

A film so perfect within its genre, the director has needed to do nothing commercially since (I know that's not the real reason, but I like to dream). Everyone bangs on about Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer but it can't come close to what is the best study of a truly, truly lost soul. Its a guy compelled to kill. There's nothing that won't stop him. Recently out of prison (for murder), he has to kill again, and that's the plot. You follow the nameless lead as he does just that in the bleakest way possible. Its uncompromising, sadistic, horrible, and possibly the best out and out horror (going by the dictionary definition) film of all time. Many, many more need to see it.

1. Martyrs

I sat agog watching this. It is my ideal of horror. Seeing a woman so destroyed by brutality suffer the consequences, seeing her friend/lover so encompassed by her bond with her suffer even more due to it, the unflinching portrayal of lives devastated by the worst humankind can inflict upon others, the sheer front to show everything in detail, to make you break and suffer yourself as you watch, to have the balls to just switch film styles halfway through, to fuck with what you see as 'the line'...Astonishing.

I could've added/replaced loads, and there's more a slant to recent horror due to me finding a lot of the older stuff quite laughable (don't hurt me), so if you want to, list away. If not yay its bombed. Don't need to go in depth about each choice if ya don't want to.
  • That's a good list, I agree with what you've written about the films you have put up. I may do one too, but without the detail. Fair overlap I'd think.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    My man. Hopefully it takes off cause I really like adding up so I do.
  • Last horror-y thing I can recall being into was Dogtooth.

I don't really give a big shit about horror movies.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'll do dis too. As temps said there'll be some overlap
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    I don't really give a big shit about horror movies.

Ya don't need to, just list ten innit mate. I'll even accept Jaws ffs.
  • I like campy experimental junk like Argento.
  • I'm no genre buff but some favourites include...

Blair Witch Project, REC, VHS & VHS 2, Ils/Them, Ringu, A Tale of Two Sisters & The Haunting (original). Sinister is thereabouts, but I just can't forgive the ending.
  • Blair Witch would be on mine.  Some people seem to love to hate it, I thought it was exceptional. 

As usual, it's a horrible trailer, but this would be in my top ten:

Will have a think about the rest.
  • Dogtooth is great. I liked it a lot.
  • A Tale of Two Sisters

Incredible film.
  • Society is obvs a raw classic. Taxidermia's probably the most inventive grand guignol I've ever witnessed.

Braindead.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The Ring, and also Dark Water, which scared the shit out of me. Maybe The Grudge too.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    THESE ARE NOT LISTS GENTLEMEN
  • Regarding The Blair Witch Project, I read the companion book thing the night before I saw the film, which helped add to the terror.  The name Rustin Parr still gives me chills.
  • The Grudge has That Sound Effect.

Other Jap things: Hausu for the lols, Tetsuo for the mania.
  • http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2013/oct/14/top-10-horror-movies
    Recently timed Guardian list

Reminded me I quite like:

Wicker Man
    Let The Right One In.
  • John Carpenter's The Thing.
  • Videodrome probably.

Hells yeah The Thing.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I've never seen Don't Look Now. Ayo.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Or Rosemary's Baby.

Skills.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Braindead.
    Now that's a lol film.
  • Eraserhead.
  • The Exorcist shit me up. But then I was far too young to be watching it in the first place. Poltergeist was another source of childhood nightmares.

The Shining, obviously. Evil Dead, Day/Dawn Of the Dead (including the 2004 remake which I thought was pretty good). Is The Thing a horror? It's fucking brilliant anyway, however you define it.

A few years ago BBC4 had a series of MR James Ghost Story adaptations, remakes and originals from the 60's & 70's, all of which were very well done. More creepy and slightly unnerving than so scary they're at risk of giving you a heart-attack but I enjoyed them (having read the original short stories hundreds of times probably meant I'm a bit biased).

The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue was one I watched just because Charlie Brooker mentioned it several times, it's pretty good actually, very grim and gritty.

Dog Soldiers isn't particularly scary but I love it all the same, a group of soldiers on manouvers in Scotland end being attacked by werewolves. As a general rule, guns + werewolves = win.

EDIT: Forgot Peeping Tom
  • The Exorcist
    Wicker Man
    Blair Witch
    The Thing
    Ringu
    REC
    The Shining
    Let The Right One In
    Psycho
    Scream (which I guess is more slasher and I know it's comedic, but I was about 12/13 when it came out)
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Zombie Flesh Eaters. I wonder if it's still good. Scared the pants off me when I shouldn't have watched it as a kid. I have it on a hard drive so I could check I suppose.

Also, The Omen.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Also fuck lists.
  • Halloween the first is great, actually.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Okay, here we go. 
    STEALTH EDITED

I did want to mention two more that didn't quite make it onto the list but ave it.

12. Jurassic Park
    Tenuously on here, but there are still some masterful scares in this PG rated film. I'll pretty much put JP on any list ever, so wanted to give it some props on here. Mr Hammond, I think we're back in business.

11 Funny Games
    Again, a different kind of horror, but this one really put the shits up me in a way that very few films did at the time - I was watching quite a lot of horror at a certain point in my life, and a long came this very quite, somewhat unassuming film that made me the bad guy. What.

Real list below.

10. The Thing
    A gloriously manky little film that used all sorts of bits and bobs to make the creature look horrible - but the last shot is the scariest of all. 

9. Martyrs
    DS has mostly said the right stuff about this, but it's all about that bait n switch that the film pulls you on. Some nasty little stuff in this flick.

8. The Exorcist
    A classic, for sure, and being raised a Catholic made this doubly scary. Watched it at the same time as the X-Files episode The Calusari and I wasn't prepared for either of them. Exorcist stands up as a really sad film as well, a bit like Poltergeist, where they just want their kid back.

7. The Eye
    There are two sequences in this movie that still genuinely give me the fear just to even think about. If I said 'chair' and 'lift' and you knew this movie, then the same reaction should be coming to you. I'll even forgive it the absolute WTF that is the ending, because the movie just goes all balls out by then. A little bit like...

6. Gozu
    Seriously. Lactating cow man what are you if you're not straight out of my nightmares. The first of two Takashi Miikes on here, the man just went out into the bananas end of scary. Only thing I've ever seen to really rival it was The ABCs of Death, but that was too inconsistent. Gozu sticks to the right tone of being creepier and more unsettling than all of Twin Peaks. Speaking of Lynch...

5. Lost Highway
    Again, perhaps a bit tenuous, and one from my love of the film more than actually arguing that it is in the 'best' horrors ever. A very neat visual style, characters appearing out of nowhere, and dat Reznor OST, it's an incoherent mess that somehow manages to remain just creepy throughout. Also, the videotapes idea was well stolen by Haneke. 

4. [Rec]
    More about the experience of this one than anything else, one of the most memorable cinema trips I've ever had. There was a girl next to me crying and mumbling to herself for the last 15 minutes about not wanting to watch it. The first hour of it is fairly passable shakeycam fare, but the effect of the last part of that film was genuinely terrifying for me the first time I saw it. Subsequent rewatchings on a smaller screen have somewhat diminished that and sometimes I hate the 'twist' element to it, while at others I love it, but it was definitely a hell of an experience for me.

3. Audition
    Once again, about the experience. This is another film that takes a ridiculous turn, after about an hour of fairly naff Japanese Rom-Com shenanigans. Everything from Asami going home onwards is an absolute fuck off piece of nastiness, and the true stories behind some of the scenes (the 'dog food' one specifically) just make it even worse. The film that set me off on my ultimate dissertation path of Asian Horror, so definitely up there on my list.

2. Alien
    This, along with my no. 1 post are on my top 5 films of all time eva, so it's naturally gonna be high up on here. This is a beautiful horror film, and I'm not sure there's many of those about any more. Pacing is right, monsters are divine, and the setting is exactly right. Dead Space owes a lot to this little belter. I'm also of the opinion that DC version of 3 is better than 2, so shove it.

1. The Shining
    A genuinely terrifying movie. The way the time lapse goes from so specific to just days of the week is the new thing I'm obsessed with in it. It gets more and more complex and creepier the more I watch it or think about it. A stunning film generally, not just in the field of horror.
‹ Previous123456

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!