Best Horror Films of All Time (Halloween wooo)
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    A few years ago BBC4 had a series of MR James Ghost Story adaptations, remakes and originals from the 60's & 70's, all of which were very well done. More creepy and slightly unnerving than so scary they're at risk of giving you a heart-attack but I enjoyed them (having read the original short stories hundreds of times probably meant I'm a bit biased).

I watched a few of those recently, and also The Signalman.  Very good, especially A Warning to the Curious.
  • Yeah, but whenever the clown was off-screen it was just awful. 

The book is amazing, it really deserved better.

EDIT: At Sparkster.
    EDIT EDIT: A Warning to the Curious is superb.
  • The first half of IT was good.  I seem to recall the book getting a bit shit towards the end too.  Something about Richie biting the tongue of a giant space turtle in a game of wits?  I think maybe I made that up now that I've looked back at the full sentence.
  • I'm not really up to speed with a lot of modern horror (mainly because I can't find the time to catch up as the wife hates them) but I do love the genre. Anyway, I love a list:

Night of the Living Dead
    Fond memories of watching late night 'horrors' on Channel 4 with my mum when I was 11/12, including Ed Woods awful epics and some great 50's classics like 'The brain from the planet arous'.  All great fun until they showed the OG Romero Classic and the film that started the genre and established the canon. I remember thinking it started as a typical so bad it's good film of the type, but soon realising that it was actually building a real, authentic and believable world around its conceit. By the time the dead have laid seige to the farm house and the little girl has troweled her mum to death in the basement mu obsession with the living dead was complete. Still stands up today as an object lesson in atmosphere, tension and sub textual story telling and, man, that ending.

The Thing
    If any film stands out as my defining experience of ultra-terror, it's this one. From the very opening scene it drips tension - Carpenters score (and indeed all of his scores in his major works) is incredible and the practical FX have never been beaten for sheer inventiveness and flinching ewww-factor. The chomping rib cage, the dog split, the stretching head spider, the hand through the face - all utterly iconic and unforgettable on first viewing. All great in and of themselves but they're coupled with some of the greatest set pieces in horror history for the blood test to the sheer panic of the first attack.  I watched this film when I was about 15 and even now, just seeing the DVD cover and hearing the synth bars of the theme makes the hairs stand up on my neck. 

The Blair Witch Project
    I went to the cinema to see this after stumbling upon the viral web marketing on the internet, back when the internet was mostly new to me.  I was so convinced but the fictional world that the various fake blogs and sites had built around the film that I was ready to believe that the whole thing was true. The experience of the film itself was so utterly terrifying that I've only ever seen it twice, the second time on VHS shortly after it came out for rental. I watched it on a bright sunny afternoon whilst off work and found it so utterly compelling and disturbing second time around that I've not watched it since. The final image of the film is burned 
     into my brain so much so that even sitting typing this I have goose bumps and I'm very aware of the wind in the trees outside.

28 Days Later
    One of Dannty Boyles best films and one of the all time great apocalypse films. Again, an utterly convincing set up and world in which truly disturbing and grim things happen. Some spectacular images, some unflinching and brutal violence, a wonderful soundtrack and a great cast make this one that whilst I  enjoy revisiting it, always makes me anxious.

That's the first few, I'll post more later.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah, the ending of the book is utterly piss poor. Up to the last quarter its probably King's best book.

EDIT: @Moot
  • No that's right, the ending is pretty naff actually. 

But all the childhood, 1950's stuff is so great I tend to ignore its failings.

EDIT: FFS
  • Wouldn't say it's a particularly good film, but I've never been so scared as when I watched Event Horizon. Midday showing at the Empire Leicester Square with my wife in a 1,000 seater cinema. Seemed like no-one else was there and so the empty vessel in the film was replicated by the vast auditorium we were in. Made the whole thing a lot more chilling. 

After about 10 minutes, another guy comes into the cinema. Sits directly behind me, when there were 997 other seats to choose from. Spent the rest of the film convinced he was going to kill me. 

This may have been a marketing stunt.
  • I also loved it up until the end.  Especially the wanking.

Edit: AT LARRY.
  • Sewers are the best place for group masturbation.
  • Blair Witch Project
    The Exorcist
    The Omen
    Poltergeist
    Vital
    Event Horizon
    Jaws
    Alien
    Jacob's Ladder
    The Shining

Those would be my 10, many being mentioned before. 
    Blair Witch gets the top spot as it is the only film I have seen that genuinely freaked the shit out of me.
    Vital is probably my least horror of the bunch but it's so damn unsettling it gets in there.

I also have soft spots for horrors that came so close but fucked it up somehow, as in Phantoms and Creep. I was very tempted to put Absentia in that list but it's a bit new.
    Phantasm 2 was a close shout but it's almost too much fun to be considered a horror
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • iirc the sewers hosted an underage gang bang, and a junk yard was the scene of the meat tugging.
  • It was more of a personal recollection. I'll never forget that forum meet.

But yeah, you're right.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I swithered with Jaws a lot too.
  • I'm going to read IT again. 

I went to a private screening of Jaws last week.  It's possibly the only film that I'd give a [10].
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    1. The Shining A genuinely terrifying movie. The way the time lapse goes from so specific to just days of the week is the new thing I'm obsessed with in it. It gets more and more complex and creepier the more I watch it or think about it. A stunning film generally, not just in the field of horror.

Well now, we're just gonna' have to badger on about just how much the book dolloped all over Kubrick's movie.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Good luck with that.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Oh, shit. 

Paranormal Activity 3 in an almost empty cinema in Korea nearly broke me. The ending sections in particular with the...
    Spoiler:
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Haute Tension is a great shout. I don't really watch scary films anymore so haven't seen any in ages.

Are the Rec sequels any good?
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    2 is shit, 3 turns it into an (intentionally) funnier film and is all the better for it
  • I don't really get scared by films these days.  Don't watch a lot of horror mind you as the missus can't handle it.

I was terrified of Halloween as a kid though.  Saw it when I was 11.  Gave me a fear of the dark that was still cropping up nearly 20 years later.

Part of me wants to watch it again because I know it'll be dated and shit to get it out my system but at the same time I'd like to preserve the one film that terrified me.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Good luck with that.

Don't need much luck with this one, G.

http://www.uproxx.com/gammasquad/2013/09/stephen-king-still-totally-hates-kubricks-version-shining/

&

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/07/stephen-king-on-kubricks-version-of-the-shining/

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/apr/06/king-kubrick-shining-adaptation

I personally like the range of emotional colour in the book.
    Kinda' made the horror stronger. 

Because the family appeared to be so normal, the supernaturality (word?) of the hotel became more evident. In the film, Jack Nicholson's wild eyed Jack Torrance, starts as, and ends as Jack Nicholson's wild eyed Jack Torrance, with no masterful exploration of the shades of grey found in the book...

The film was very well shot. It's extremely beautiful in fact. But it loses a lot of the book.
  • Oh, shit.  Paranormal Activity 3 in an almost empty cinema in Korea nearly broke me. The ending sections in particular with the...
    Spoiler:
    That was an absolute disaster of a film.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Shining as a book I found excellent - the whole topiary/menagerie thing was very well written. 
    The book is great and even has a satisfactory ending which isn't guaranteed with King - It, Beneath the Dome and The Dark Tower all have pretty poor endings even though they are great reads.

I consider the film to be based very loosely on the book - a different story created from the scenario of the book and is quite brilliant - no.1 in my list. Even the support is great - the acting is sublime throughout. The meeting with Grady (the underrated Philip Stone - who Kubrick used in Clockwork Orange as Alex's father) in the blood red bathroom is mesmerising, and the scene with Danny and Halloran (the brilliant Scatman "Hong Kong Phooey" Crothers) is as beautiful as it is creepy.

I mentioned it earlier in this thread - but check out the wacky doc - Room 237 for all sorts of nonsense supposed to be hidden in the film.

I find it hard to order these after position 1 to be honest..

1. The Shining
    2. Rosemary's Baby
    3. Silence of the Lambs
    4. The Omen
    5. The Others
    6. Poltergeist
    7. Angel Heart
    8. The Changeling
    9. Event Horizon
    10. The Exorcist
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • 3) nightmare on elm street
    2) poltergeist
    1) Blair witch

I've not watched a horror film in about 15 years. I don't understand the point of them.

Is that human centipede thing a horror? I mean wtf?

Silence of the lambs is quite good too
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK wrote:
    I mentioned it earlier in this thread - but check out the wacky doc - Room 237 for all sorts of nonsense supposed to be hidden in the film.

I'm watching this now.

it's hilarious

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Emile Heskey's Candyman...

He was a nightmare in a home game.
    Say his name three times, and he'll fall over...
  • Chief wrote:
    Oh, shit.  Paranormal Activity 3 in an almost empty cinema in Korea nearly broke me. The ending sections in particular with the...
    Spoiler:
    It wasn't good, but at least there were one or two reasonable (if cheap as can be) jump scares.

Paranormal Activity 4? Now that was unbelievably poor.
  • I'm genuinely baffled that The Shining is getting so much love.  Like some other parts of Kubrik's work, there's too much laughably awful stuff spoiling the good stuff to lift the whole experience above average.

It's that thing about it only having to be the thinnest spread of shit through a sandwich that still makes it a shit sandwich.
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    I don't really get scared by films these days.  Don't watch a lot of horror mind you as the missus can't handle it.

I was terrified of Halloween as a kid though.  Saw it when I was 11.  Gave me a fear of the dark that was still cropping up nearly 20 years later.

Part of me wants to watch it again because I know it'll be dated and shit to get it out my system but at the same time I'd like to preserve the one film that terrified me.
    Halloween is the one film that always puts the shits up me, no matter how many times I see it.

Went to a midnight screening a couple of years ago, and they'd done their own pre film intro, with footage of Michael Myers walking up the alley to the cinema, then up the stairs etc.

It ended with him opening the door to our screen, and then the guy in full costume came in, and silently took a seat right at the back just as the film started. Fucked if I was turning around to see whether he stayed for the whole movie.

• Chief wrote:
    Oh, shit.  Paranormal Activity 3 in an almost empty cinema in Korea nearly broke me. The ending sections in particular with the...
    Spoiler:
    It wasn't good, but at least there were one or two reasonable (if cheap as can be) jump scares. Paranormal Activity 4? Now that was unbelievably poor.
    I haven't even bothered with 4. Somebody in a suit seems convinced that it can be stretched into a franchise, despite it turning to shit by the third film.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!