Best Horror Films of All Time (Halloween wooo)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    adkm1979 wrote:
    I'm genuinely baffled that The Shining is getting so much love.  Like some other parts of Kubrik's work, there's too much laughably awful stuff spoiling the good stuff to lift the whole experience above average.

It's that thing about it only having to be the thinnest spread of shit through a sandwich that still makes it a shit sandwich.

Are you really "genuinely baffled" when it has been long critically revered and respected by others outside of this forum? I mean it's regarded as one of Kubrick's best, is a part of pop culture, and has had mad followers. You may not like it, but "genuinely baffled"?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Sorry, not meaning that to sound so arsey. Just found the phrase a bit hyperbolic
  • @Chief

4 is unbelievably bad. Seriously. It's so much worse than all the others it's actually quite ridiculous. The hook is, um, Kinect... and it's not a good hook.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    2 is shit, 3 turns it into an (intentionally) funnier film and is all the better for it

2 depends on whether you like the idea of Religion coming into it. I did, and I liked it as a result. It even uses some scares in hilariously cheap ways which is always fun.
  • I'm gonna be the only one to bring up the first Saw aren't I?

I agree with a lot of your points so far and if I put my list together it would mostly be a rehash of what everyone has put so far with favourites like The Exorcist, The Omen, Rec, Ringu etc
    But I would add the first Saw. It was the first of the whole Torture Gorenography thing I was aware of and it scared the living crap outta me. The shock of the first few traps, the central plot with the two guys in the bathroom and THAT moment at the very end when you realise who Jigsaw is. 
    Yea, my jaw was on the floor. 
    Went to a Halloween Saw movie marathon one year to mark the release of the 5th one (yes I'm well aware they had gotten shite long before then)
    It was an all nighter at the BFI London IMAX for on Halloween night and by the time the 3rd one had finished it was nearing 3am and in my tired and a little drunk state I wandered into an empty bathroom and when washing my hands I looked up in the mirror and standing behind me was a guy in full costume with the black robe and pig mask. 

I screamed like a bitch. Ran out of there so fast my heart felt like it was going to explode.

So just because of that, yea. Saw.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Saw is a brilliant movie. First one isn't that massively gory, at least not on a stupid Hostel level.

Did go downhill but the first one stands up very well
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • Ju-on deserves a mention too. Some great atmosphere and scares in there.

Also, Sinister was reet fucked up. Haven't been that unsettled since playing Silent Hill 2 and 3 back on PS2.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Saw 1 is excellent - I didn't bother with any sequels though.

Seven would qualify for my list too when I think about it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Are you really "genuinely baffled" when it has been long critically revered and respected by others outside of this forum? I mean it's regarded as one of Kubrick's best, is a part of pop culture, and has had mad followers. You may not like it, but "genuinely baffled"?
    I honestly didn't realise it was critically acclaimed, I thought it was just popular.  But, then, I thought it was just popular amongst teenage boys who didn't know any better.  I thought folk here did know better.  Hey ho.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I find if I were to accidentally see it playing while channel hopping I would stop and watch and would find it hard to not watch it to completion no matter where in the film I join.

It has a very odd quality to it - maybe it's more about the craft and the fine acting. The sets are usually visually interesting too - the whole thing adds up to more than it should. At least it does for me. I find most Kubrick films have that effect on me.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Both of these are essential viewing, but if you only watch one, make it the second of these...

fabulous

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I'm not a big horror fan but The Descent would make my list.
  • Agree. The Descent is absolutely terrifying.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    DS, have you read The Stand yet?
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Chief wrote:
    Chief wrote:
    Oh, shit.  Paranormal Activity 3 in an almost empty cinema in Korea nearly broke me. The ending sections in particular with the...
    Spoiler:
    That was an absolute disaster of a film.
    It wasn't good, but at least there were one or two reasonable (if cheap as can be) jump scares. Paranormal Activity 4? Now that was unbelievably poor.
    I haven't even bothered with 4. Somebody in a suit seems convinced that it can be stretched into a franchise, despite it turning to shit by the third film.

I actually quite liked 3, it has some really good set-pieces and that's what those films are about. The bloody mary bit got me good but that might be because I'm a scaredy-cat who can't bring myself to say it three times in front of a mirror in real life.
    I haven't seen 4 yet.

I'll do my list in a bit.
  • Emile Heskey's Candyman... He was a nightmare in a home game. Say his name three times, and he'll fall over...

Hahahaha
  • Srsly though y'all should catch Taxidermia is gross and funny.
  • I don't really know what counts as horror and what doesn't, and I'm no fan. But, yeah, The Shining is great. Don't Look Now is another one I'd mention, although it's not something I'd call scary as such (it's more what it has to say about fate, freedom of choice and the way the present can rewrite the past). I also really liked Stoker this year, if that counts.
  • Yeah there's a finer line between a straight thriller and a horror narrative. Like all these things you know it when you see it.
  • davyK wrote:
    5. The Others
    7. Angel Heart
    8. The Changeling

Angel Heart nearly made my list, as did Rosemary's Baby. I loved The Others, but I've only seen it once and couldn't really consider it for inclusion because I only have vague memories of most of the film, other than the twist, and as stated, the fact that I loved it. Kudos for The Changeling, it deserves to be as well known as the other big-hitters of the 70s/80s.

• Would probably put Kill list on here somewhere too. Stayed with me for days after I saw that in the cinema. THAT ending.... Oooooh
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Amor - what could be more terrifying than a slow death as your mind slips away from you little by little?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    The bit in 2001:A Space Odyssey where HAL is lip reading the guys in the pod creeps the fuck out of me.
  • Okay, this is kind of a hard one as I've been watching a lot of horror lately so I need to compare the immediacy of recent experiences with the long lasting favourites. It's 

also hard to decide whether a film that scared you more deserves to be higher than the one that is better made. Here we go:

Honorable Mentions:
    - Sinister: One of the only very recent horror films to really get to me, it manages to create such an unsettling tone that it can really get under your skin. The majority is in the little super 8 films but it also does it elsewhere. I also appreciated the unconventional soundtrack and the humour from Ziggy. It just falls apart as many modern horrors do in trying to explain itself.

- Paranormal Activity: Say what you will, my night after seeing this was not an easy one. A very good example of a simple concept done well with modest means.

- Blair Witch: See above with the addition of having one of the greatest horror endings ever.

- American Werewolf in London: I love a film that can combine horror and comedy and drama in equally effective ways. Top special effects too.

- Sleepaway Camp: If the film wasn't largely a curioso I think it would make my list. By the end I was actually shaken and not many films can pull that off, especially after the extreme camp that comes before. The kills are also pretty good.

- Inside: You don't get many horror films centered on a pregnant woman, it's uncomfortable on many levels because of it. Horribly gory too.

- Jaws/Deep Blue Sea/Rogue: I fucking love giant/smart/monster animal films. Just wish one was more horror enough to make the list.

- The Fly: This is a tough one because it's not very scary really apart from the concept, if it was a little more horror I think it'd be on my list. It's just a great movie and I feel Cronenberg needs to be in my list and this one is probably my favourite of his.

- Candyman: It's just creepy throughout. Big black dude with a hook hand, what's scarier than that?!

10. The Thing: Not sure if I need to say more than what already has been said. The best special effects of its time and a gloriously built "who-is-it" tale.

9. The Hills Have Eyes (remake): It's such a horribly bleak and violent movie, a real video-nasty. It takes what others have attempted before and runs away with it, never holding back and once it all kicks off you're in for a very bloody rollercoaster ride. I can dig it.

8. 28 Days Later - I hope Danny Boyle returns to horror at some point as he does it so well. A very well realised reality with solid acting, tasty tension sequences and one where the shaky cam didn't detract from the film experience for once.

7. The Shining: It probably should be higher on my list but it isn't. I do love it though. For it's direction (The axe chopping down the door shots are some of my favourite film shots ever) and for the same reasons I love Kubrick's other films in how he puts them together. I was just a bit bored last time I saw it, I feel like it's a film you have to be in a certain mood for and I wasn't that time. It'll move up and down on my list depending.

6. REC - Another rollercoaster ride but this time moreso in terror and tension, a brilliant use of the handheld "I'm actually there" shtick.

5. Poltergeist - That fucking clown toy. God damn it. It does such a good job of building on the family movie template and slowly ramping up the scares as it goes along

4. The Descent - The only horror film I've watched with a group where someone (my sister) actually screamed at one of the scares. Sure it has a lot of jump scares but the build-up before that and the execution of it makes it work. Plus I think it has one of the best jump scares in any horror film in the first half.

3. Halloween (original) - The one that started it all (so they say). I think I may have only seen this once but what I've seen has stuck with me. Some absolutely brilliant horror moments and visuals, especially when he is stalking her, and a lot of well built tension.

2. The Ring: I prefer the American remake over the original. The step away from the more ghost/supernatural focus that is Ringu (and most Japanese horror) works more for me as it created a much more reality-grounded film and had less that I needed to accept for the film ideas to work. The Ring is also spectacularly shot, it is an utterly beautiful film to look at, something I only properly noticed when I watched it again recently. Both are unsettling films with solid scares but I prefer the remake.

1. Alien: I've seen this movie so many times and it still manages to scare me. For that reason alone it could sit at the top but it's also because it's such a tightly made film and the set-design and overall filmic design is perfect. The direction is wonderful, the character ensemble are all well created even with minimal exposition dialogue and, apart from a couple, the special effects all stand up to the age of the film. It'll be hard to topple this one from its throne and I kind of doubt it ever will be.

I feel like there's so many more films I should have considered. Was a hard list.
  • Angel Heart was pretty dope. I should watch that again sometime.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I remember some film putting the shits up me in the 80s - The Keep. Never saw it ever again, it's probably woeful shit.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Also, Turkey Shoot wrecked my head.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    beano wrote:
    DS, have you read The Stand yet?

Nah. I am re-reading The Descent by Jeff Long though. That's a damn fine horror novel.

Also, thread success yes!
  • Let the thread love wash over you DS

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!