Best Horror Films of All Time (Halloween wooo)
  • Yeah Kill List stayed with me too. Fantastic.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yea, wasn't perfect by a long shot but for me was a very effective horror and had quite an old fashioned horror feel to it.  Thing is horror, much like comedy, really does depend on what speaks to you as a person. I know people who were terrified by films I laughed at and films that scared the hell out of me just made them giggle at the silliness. Just horses for courses isn't it

Aye it is man, I'd never knock someone for preference horror wise. I can't really be arsed with Zombies, hence a lack of them in my list. Its all good.

EDIT: Good lists btw. I see The Descent pop up, and while I love it its not horrific enough this side. Some of the scenes are tense as though.
  • Hmmm, should have honourably mentioned Innkeepers too, I really liked it. It might make my list if it stands up to repeated viewings. I liked the horror/comedy back and forth. I was lucky enough to see it at a festival screening with a Q&A with Ti West. I asked him why he does horror and it lines up to why I like horror and how I got into it (by going through all the horror videos at the rental place). I like him for that.

The good thing I find with horror is how it changes from person to person depending on what you find frightening. The Descent might not be as horrific in tone as other horror films at a basic level but if you're claustrophobic then it's your worst nightmare. I like it because it has a lot of tension and it uses them for some very effective jump scares.

The flip side is when people can't handle horror or just don't have respect for it so they laugh at the films and then say they're shit. Horror demands you go along for the ride for full effectiveness and if you're gonna sit there and disrespect it then, of course, you're not going to be frightened by it. I don't care if people do that at home but if you go to the cinema, have some fucking respect. I guess that goes for most films though.
  • I finally watched Event Horizon last night, after a couple of eyebrow raising appearances in people's top tens here. It was a lot better than some of the feedback at the time suggested - funky shit indeed.
  • Paul W.S. Anderson's only good movie?
  • Yes. It freaked me right out at the time.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Lots of good films in this list already, I'll just add a mention for Society, what a head fuck of a film. That ending. Haven't seen it in almost 20yrs mind, one to track down again perhaps.

Add me to The Shining love also, although I'm hot for Jack in general.
  • For me, gotta be Alien. Honourable mention to The Thing.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Lots of good films in this list already, I'll just add a mention for Society, what a head fuck of a film. That ending. Haven't seen it in almost 20yrs mind, one to track down again perhaps. Add me to The Shining love also, although I'm hot for Jack in general.

Society was good. It worked in a similar way to Sleepaway Camp where the campy/slightly dodge nature of the majority of the film makes the ending work a lot better.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!