Spelunky!
  • Dubs wrote:
    Best moment today was trying to nab the crystal skull but forgetting about the shopkeeper, who started firing in all directions, killing the giant piranha (it was a dead are restless + rushing water level), which meant a rather panicked ascent to the black market entrance at top of the level with two ghosts chasing me.

I don't know how I'll ever kill that fish. Soo many fish to kill!
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Got to get really lucky to avoid being nibbled to death. Or have loads of health, I guess.
    I think you only need to be killed by him to get the journal entry, if that's what you're after.

Glad the pro HUD is on PS3 as well, the timer is a godsend.
  • Just made it to the end of 4-2 with the sceptre, but it was a dark level so I didn't have time to clear the level out and had to carry it with me.

Got jumped by a mummy and croc fella before I could jump up to the door, fired off a shot which killed the croc and came back for me.

Gutted.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Hmm. £2.99 on a Steam flash sale right now... Might double dip for the sake of the daily challenge.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Oops. Too slow to checkout and it went up again...
  • Just killed myself on 2-3 using the plasma cannon on today's Daily Challenge.

Was great fun wiping out the Black Market with it though.
  • Where's the plasma?
  • In a crate in the mines somewhere (1-3 maybe).

Worth hunting down even if you don't normally do the Daily Challenge, as it's the only chance you get to use it unless you defeat the Mothership boss.
  • my thoughts exactly!!
  • 1-4 on the left by the damsel. *Ptchoooo*

Don't use it in confined spaces. What? No, I didn't kill myself that way, hahaha, what do you take me for? *sigh*
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Plasma gun on 1-4 hoooly shiiitt. Wait is that on PC?
    Things can only get better.
  • I totally died on that level too
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    No plasma on 1-4 for me, but I did pick up one in the Mothership on the PC daily challenge, got all the way to the first Hell level and died about 10 seconds in. Number 14 in the world Ma, well for a short while for sure.
    Things can only get better.
  • Hurrah!

Finally made it to the City of Gold and pinched the Book of the Dead, killing Anubis 2 in the process.

Got killed by a snail during the Olmec battle having ran out of bombs, and didn't make it to Hell.

Boo!
  • Oh yeah, that's after 1800 deaths, and may still be one of my most rewarding gaming experiences ever.
  • Good work.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Goddammit!

Did it all again, killed Olmec this time but didn't line him up perfectly with the door to Hell. Thought I could just jump to the doorway , but there isn't a ledge, so into the lava I went.

Oh well, what's a few hundred more deaths before success anyway?
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Are you using the 'teeter on the edge' strategy? That's usually reliable.

Like, where you bomb down (requires 6 bombs iirc), then teeter on the edge of the pit so that olmec slams down straight into it.
  • You're only going to get your arse handed to you the moment you set foot in Hell anyway. You should just give up.
  • Dubs wrote:
    Are you using the 'teeter on the edge' strategy? That's usually reliable.

Like, where you bomb down (requires 6 bombs iirc), then teeter on the edge of the pit so thaunfortunately t olmec slams down straight into it.

I don't get there often enough to have a strategy. On this occasion it was leave Olmec at the side and bomb my way down, but I was having difficulty lining him up so widened the trench, meaning when he eventually went down I just missed the doorway. Didn't realise there was no ledge.
    krs wrote:
    You're only going to get your arse handed to you the moment you set foot in Hell anyway. You should just give up.

Undoubtedly.

• At the very least a page is filled on the journal!
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Phew... I just had my best ever run, aquiring the jetpack and a boomerang fairly early on, then managing to get all the way through to Olmec, only to die fairly pathetically by stumbling and getting squashed after getting him to stomp a fair way down through the level... I did at least manage at top 9000 ranked scored on the XBLA leaderboard though :)
  • Just had a Mine level shop selling a jetpack, a pickaxe in a crate so I could afford to buy it, a compass in another crate, all just before the gold key appeared, so I was able to cruise my way to unlocking the Temple levels from Tunnel Man.

You don't need skill when you have good luck.
  • There's an element of good luck by a long shot. But the game is only partly a skill based game anyway. It's a game about exploring, the spirit of spelunky, in which you are actually delving into the unknown and it's your ability to cope with micro situations and planning that is tested.

The guy who had the second most recent top score found a plasma cannon in level one. So luck yeah.

• I've done it a -fucking-gain!

Approximately 500 death since I opened the door to hell...

...had a pretty much perfect run through, had pretty much every item I could need, jetpac the lot, got the book of the dead and killed Olmec, dropping him straight over the middlee of the entrace to hell.

Then went up top to get a pickae I'd dropped before going through the doorway to hell and he'd already dropped too low for me to get through the doorway, tried hovering over the ledge, but died without getting though the door.

Need a new Vita, and a new living room window.
  • I just got to Olmec's Lair for the first time. Well, the jetpack got there; I just tagged along. Pro tip: don't let him crush you.
  • It's a necessary rite of passage! If you don't get crushed, it's BASICALLY cheating.

@adored that is fucking harsh man. 3rd time lucky?!
  • Managed to kill the Black Knight the other day using some strategic distance bombing.  Promptly blew myself up by crushing something with the shield in the black market.  Was fun killing the shopkeepers with their ricocheted bullets though.  Might need to look up how that works for next time.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • The shield blocks everything.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!