Spelunky!
  • Shopkeeper tactics I generally employ these days, courtesy of mr Dubs (you can practice it in the tutorial levels):
    Dubs wrote:
    Definitely kill them if they have a jetpack, 100%.  I'll almost always rob a bomb shop and pretty much any shop with decent items as well.  Climbing gloves, a cape and springy shoes make reasonable jetpack substitute, combined with the shotgun you get it gives you good mobility (as the shotgun blast allows you to jump higher). If there's a weapon in the shop you can pick it up without buying it and kill the shopkeeper with it. If they don't have a weapon, then I do this: If there's a vault I want to go for on the same level then I'll rob the shop first to get the shotgun.

@bob is it this method? Once you get it nailed it's really effective.

Also good is luring him out of hiding by picking up the ice gun, then blast him and jump on top. Job done.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I rarely manage to kill one shopkeeper, nevermind a dozen of the buggers, you're obviously beret at this than me.
  • Much beret.
  • I've gotten a bit more used to killing them now. Especially since someone pointed out that they've often killed themselves by the time you get to the end of the levels after the mines. 

How do people deal with the black market though? I've not been in there with angry shop keepers, but i imagine it's pretty tricky.
  • Last post on previous page, the broken page-turn thing on the forum means you probably missed it.

This is the first game I've eve really sat and watched run-throughs of, some incredible skills needed.
  • weadre wrote:
    I've gotten a bit more used to killing them now. Especially since someone pointed out that they've often killed themselves by the time you get to the end of the levels after the mines. 

How do people deal with the black market though? I've not been in there with angry shop keepers, but i imagine it's pretty tricky.

I set up a rope climb above the ankh shop and climb all the way above the top row of shops. This will clear floor 1 you can then go through there and down the left hand side and towards the bottom.

Don't tend to kill shopkeepers before the blackmarket.
  • adored wrote:
    I rarely manage to kill one shopkeeper, nevermind a dozen of the buggers, you're obviously beret at this than me.

But black market is probably easier to rob than single shop. Try it, it's awesome.
  • Getting the key through to tunnel man might not be quite as impossible as I expected.

Managed it through to 3-2 on first proper attempt. Basically got the jetpack and a load of bombs early on, then just tried to keep my head down and stay out of trouble.
  • My problem with the key run is that it sacrifices a potentially excellent actual (black market) run.
  • Fucksake.

Had made it to 3-3 with the ankh, killed myself to get the headjet, was ok for health because I had the Kapala cup, and lijke an absolute fucking idiot went into the Mothership, where I promptly got arseholed by the big fuck-off alien bastard.

What a waste!!!
  • Christ.. I've played hours and hours of Spelunky and that means nothing to me.. :(
    The Forum Herald™
  • Mothership is ridiculously hard, never been close to beating it. Same with the worm thing.
  • Got to the alien boss thing, landed one sticky bomb on him, but got dead when I was making sure I'd hit him, and took my eye of the things attacking me.
  • Bob wrote:
    Christ.. I've played hours and hours of Spelunky and that means nothing to me.. :(

lols snap

Xbox / PSN - DongleUnlimited
  • It's definitely worth taking a tiny peek at the wiki, if only to give you an idea of what else is possible.

Or youtube the eggplant run if you really want your mind blown.
  • Just youtubed BananasaurusRex completing the hell run in 5 mins 18 secs...

One day I hope to get to the City of Gold. After that I'll consider trying to get to hell.

5:18 ffs.
  • Hell is my current focus. Not got close yet.
  • I'm gonna try and get into this soon. My brother has completed Hell, didn't realise it was that much of an achievement, seeing his frustration firsthand puts me off though.
  • Just ballsed it up again.

Managed to get the Ankh and kill every shopkeeper in the Black Market, had the Kapala again to boost my health, but got one-shotted by an Alien Lord on 3-1, meaning I used the Ankh before I got to the statue in 3-3.

One of these days.
  • I've had some really silly deaths in 3-1 when well placed for a good run. Recently when I had loads of lives and the kapala I got stuck in a repeated beating loop by one of the little yeti things. Was hugely frustrating.
  • I thought this was just a silly wee platformer. You're making it sound like 2D DS.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Prepare to die a lot works for this game too, except with no girly bonfires.
    Things can only get better.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Yep, there's plenty to dig into, unexplained systems and the like.
    Quicker and more brutal with the punishment than Souls but the cuteness and slapstick take the edge off. Instant restarts help.

It's absolutely wonderful when you're still figuring everything out and seeing new things. Hilarious in local co-op as well.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Although I've had my fair share of gravity deaths in DS, I think Spelunky has way more self inflicted deaths. It's that that frustrates me the most about the game, but I still come back for more.
    Things can only get better.
  • This is only $3.74 on GOG right now, for the next hour.

http://www.gog.com/game/spelunky
  • Just beat olmec for the first time!!!!!

(technically second time but first time I got stranded with no ropes on the bottom layer of the bricks)
  • Argh!

Done it again. Made it to 3-3, got the headjet, had the jetpack and shotgun, and must've 'teetered' on an edge, dropping the shotgun into the abyss. 3-4 spawned me in the top left corner next to the Mothership entrance, with 2 of those flying saucer bastards on top of me.

Stupidly, I sticky-bombed one instead of trying to squeeze past them with the jetpack, the resulting triple explosion killing me dead.

One of these days...
  • And well done crayon!
  • It took me 1770 goes to beat Olmec! You can do it!
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Best moment today was trying to nab the crystal skull but forgetting about the shopkeeper, who started firing in all directions, killing the giant piranha (it was a dead are restless + rushing water level), which meant a rather panicked ascent to the black market entrance at top of the level with two ghosts chasing me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!