Spelunky!
  • No shit.

Had a decent daily challenge run today, was on course to get to the city of gold with a fair stack of bombs when one of those annoying floating blocks crushed me out of nowhere. Bugger.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Managed to kill myself whilst killing a flying alien in the Daily Challenge today. Had the jetpack , plenty bombs, plenty health and 100,000+ in the bank when I did it, should've been a breeze to at least get to the City of Gold as well. Not happy.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Aaaargh! Great daily all the way through to hell to the end boss and managed to blow myself up with a bomb. Effing game.
    Things can only get better.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    That's twice I've done that on the end boss, should've really finally beaten him.
  • Finally! made it to Hell, after just over 2500 deaths.

Killed Vlad, but just missed out on his amulet as I'd spent so long fannying about the ghost turned up and I dies thanks to those stupid fucking climbing gloves. Hate those things!

Oh well, maybe it'll only take another thousand goes to get back there.
  • The climbing gloves always screw me up. Even without them it's infuriating when I unintentionally auto-grab a ledge just one block high, my feet inches from the ground and I don't realise, leaving me unable to whip the shitbat inevitably fluttering towards me. Climbing gloves turn the whole game into a one block ledge grab fluttering shitbat.
  • Shitbat indeed. Although they do make the ice levels ridiculously easy.

Been consistently getting to ice, well equipped and with the ankh. Then I've been consistently dying in the most ridiculous ways. A recent one involved a rock stuck bouncing up and down on one those bouncy pad things, clipped me and then bounced me to death. I had 89 bombs at the time too. Just stuck in a repeated bouncy death trap of embarrassment.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Haha the bouncy rock of doom has caught me out before too.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Hell finally mastered, might leave it at that, the eggplant challenge would just be too frustrating (or for me impossible). Farewell my fellow spelunkers.

Until Spelunky2!
  • Kudos fella, well done. Did you do it in less than 15 mins?
  • Impressive, good work! I was en route to hell the other day, only got as far as olmec. Actually haven't looked up what I need to do to get there other than what stuff to pick up.

Have you beaten the worm and worked all the way through the spaceship?
  • To get to hell you need the ankh from the black market (which means you need to get the key in the chest to get the Udjat Eye to find the black market) so you can kill yourself on the ice level with the Easter Island style statue, which gets you the hedjet (pharoah type hat thing) which you need to be wearing to get the scepter in the first temple level to open the door to the City of Goldin the second temple level. Once you get to the City of Gold you just need to get the book of the dead then make sure that when you kill Olmec he lands in the lava below the door to hell so you can drop onto him and enter the door to hell.

Simples.
  • Cheers. Was just the last bit I wasn't aware of. I fucking love this game.
  • Me too, it's in my all-time top 10 now and I'm still shit at it. I've made it through the worm OK, and the haunted castle thing, but never beaten the Alien boss. Would be great fun taking that plasma cannon into the City of Gold.

Really didn't like it when I played it on the 360 for some reason, just never clicked. Since I tried it again on the Vita I've fallen in love with it.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    adored wrote:
    Kudos fella, well done. Did you do it in less than 15 mins?

Speed running eh? Well may be I'll give it one more go...

Edit: effed up quote fixed.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    Have you beaten the worm and worked all the way through the spaceship?

Yes and yes, although neither were part of my runs to Hell.
  • No point in making it stupidly hard eh?

Go on, do the eggplant run.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    I watched a bit of the eggplant run last night, I don't think I have the leet skills that Rex chap has to make it all the way.
  • I've had a few goes at doing the 8 min speedrun, but failed miserably.

Would be a lot easier if the teleporter wasn't a suicide machine in my hands.
  • Daily Challenge.

Jet Pack.

City of Gold.

70 Bombs.

Didn't notice one of those annoying sideways flying block things and got instantly crushed in the C.O.G.

Bugger. 

104th on the table though, best ever I think.
  • Returned to this recently on 360 and finally managed to kill Olmec for the first time (after 330 games). Using the shortcut to the temple though (thankfully I'd opened all those when I was playing before). It was just a case of getting access to all the bombs at the top and making a large hole. Even then I was lucky to get the climbing gloves as I'd made the hole too big and wouldn't have got out otherwise.

So now I'm trying to finish it from the beginning and just had 2 goes where I was quite far in with jetpack, shotgun, good health and quite a few bombs. Both times just some freak conspiracy of events led to an instant death. Heartbreaking.
  • Ha, conspiracy of events is what Spelunky does so well. So many times I've been super well equipped only for some stray or unforeseen incident to leave me helplessly watching everything unravel. 

Was so close to hell the other day. Olmec had one layer to go before lava, I'd bombed myself a little recess but ollie got stuck, meaning I was trapped inside my little hole, blocked by the big golden bastard. Tried to fly out but blew up. Boo.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    adored wrote:
    I've had a few goes at doing the 8 min speedrun, but failed miserably. Would be a lot easier if the teleporter wasn't a suicide machine in my hands.

I have not continued playing this, also failing miserably at the 8 minute speedrun, no siree. My best is sub 10 minutes, will have to look into mastering the teleporter, although it appears it's a similar model to the one in The Fly, rather than the reliable ones in Star Trek.
  • I picked up a teleporter in a crate on level 1 the other day, thought perfect chance for a speed run. Promptly teleported above some spikes. Bugger.
  • Spelunky is life, Spelunky is the essence of truth, Spelunky exposes fate for the conman is it. Choose chance, choose Spelunky.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Getting the Plasma Cannon early on sounds good in theory, but the recoil on that thing ups the dying accidentally potential even more, if that's even possible!
  • Spelunky will never lie to you. Spelunky will never tell you that there's nothing going on with Dave, then end up leaving you for him the day before your wedding. Spelunky doesn't want you to fail, Spelunky wants you to learn. Spelunky will always be there.
  • The idea of an 8 minute speed run doesn't even compute. I mean that's 30 seconds per level, including the boss level. I wouldn't know where to start.
  • Spelunky is life, Spelunky is the essence of truth, Spelunky exposes fate for the conman is it. Choose chance, choose Spelunky.
    And yes, Spelunky is a lot like real life, at least insofar as you'll get through it much easier with a jet pack and a shotgun.
  • Spelunky doesn't ask, it just takes!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!