Welcome to fat fighters.. 2020 .. Double Digits..
  • Dan wrote:
    There have been mice studies done at least where mice were fed the same calories each day, one group with a morning fast, one without. Those eating throughout the day without a fast gained a lot more weight and were less healthy. So if you want to get into compexity beyond calorie deficits there's loads there.

Some good research from this fella at Oxford:

https://www.dpag.ox.ac.uk/team/kieran-clarke

Came across it when researching the keto stuff.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    @dan Late December (yes Xmas was tough but I squeaked through) and lost 7kg to date, started at 84.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Wow, I’ve lost 7kg since late December too! SNAP!

I’m all down for intermittent fasting, but find it too hard to avoid carbs when I do eat. I love certain fruits (dates!) and have a very sweet tooth (raw honey!), plus rice is too lovely etc. For me, adherence to a particular non-unhealthy diet/regime/eating habit is more important. I’m not doing a short term diet, I’m changing my diet permanently(ish) so I need to ensure I can stick with it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Woah lots to catch up on here. Ill give those podcsts a whirl. Thanks everydbody!
    In brief I generally eat decentish food. Most meat is grilled, usually decent amount of veg and fruit. But Im fucking ravenous. Like today I had a lovely Vietnamese roll for lunch followed by a side of salted edamame. Then a double decker bar. Still hungry. Bout 20 minutes later Im eating another portion of edamame. Year or two back when I was eating faaaaar better and gyming I did the fasting (dinner to dinner variety) and had the spoon of cider vinegar in glass of water prior to dinner. Not a hope I'd do a fast now without some serious prep.
    Im going to try drinking water when Im hungry though. It could be that. I have coffee as well to stifle the hunger a bit.
    A huge weakness of mine though is carbs. Bread and pasta....nothing better unfortunately :(
    Ive heard good things about sliming world indeed so may try n grab the book etc.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I really thought I would miss bread on my regime. I could take it but I take cereal instead. I also don't miss cheese and I really thought I might have.

I think that knowing I can take it if I want it has a huge psychological effect to be honest.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Bread and cheese is half my diet.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Don't move to America then, both are pretty horrible here.

Apart from bagels, that's some good stuff.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Cheese, I eat lots and lots of cheese
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Cheese....salty crackers......bread........ *drooling*
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Eugh

Chocolate... cake... red bull... *drool*
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I ate cheese just now, and like half a tub of pure cream
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    nnnnnnnnnnggggghhhh.....
  • Anyone seen that new low-fat, high-protein ice cream? Any idea if it is actually any good and somewhat healthy/not too un-healthy?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The problem with substitutes is that they only trigger a hankering for the real thing.
  • Which one?
    I've got some Oppo and Wheyhey

Wheyhey vanilla was more like sorbet - or icy milk. May have been frozen badly.

Oppo vanilla was quite dense and obviously not creamy compared to Yeo Valley for example.

Nice strong vanilla flavour though - and much tastier than Wheyhey to me.

Oppo chocolate's very nice.

Not tried Wheyhey chocolate

Both contain Carrageenan
    So would avoid long term for anyone with digestive issues or concerns about that.

Probably won't get any more as carrageenan is meant to be bad for you.

Oppo's just marketed as healthy / low calorie ice cream, it has around half the protein per 100g (around 4g vs around 8g)

There's also Breyer's Delights which achieves similar protein to Wheyhey but through skimmed milk concentrate rather they whey protein isolate.
    It has the highest calories of the lot generally.

But no carrageenan

And Halo Top - which looks the best.
    Lower calorie than Breyer's Delights - reasonable protein (around 5%).
    Organic
    No carrageenan

Not tried it though.

All use sweeteners obviously.

Wheyhey uses Xylitol which is better for you teeth but some people get digestive issues from it (especially if you're not used to it).

The others use stevia and erythritol typically.

You can get Wheyhey, Breyer's Delights and Oppo at Sainsbury's

Tesco sell Halo Top

Personally I wouldn't be that bothered about it as a protein source - but seems a decent way to cut down calories and still have a treat.

Frozen yoghurt may be more effective and potentially natural/healthy though.

They all contain emulsifiers and stabilisers.

Might try Halo Top. Got a freezer full of ice cream at the moment though - Sainsbury's were reducing loads. Lol

Oops, another Dan ramble. Hope that helps.
    Hi Hosting - Fast and Reliable UK Web Hosting
    We host a number of bears and badgers, get in touch if want a website too!
  • Nice Dan. Think it was Halo Top I saw in the freezer section of tesco. I'm always weary of stuff advertised as having protein as it's a buzzword for a lot a products these days.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Yeah Tesco also sell Breyer's Delights, which uses reconstituted skimmed milk so I'd avoid that.

Halo Top looks decent, might try their vanilla.

Personally I don't find eating this stuff has me reaching for full fat ice cream.

Oppo for example wasn't as creamy as Yeo Valley - which is proper, rich ice cream - but stronger in vanilla and nice in its own way.

Wheyhey could have you reaching for proper ice cream though.

Vanilla's a great trick. E.g. make a banana milk shake with just semi skimmed milk, a fresh whole banana - then if you add some vanilla essence it tastes like you chucked a load of ice cream in. I guess it'd be less creamy, but it tastes like proper ice cream milk shake.

I'd like to try making frozen yoghurt from organic yogurt - even just some yeo valley.
    A healthy treat that naturally is lower in fat, sugar, without anything else in it.
    Could always add vanilla and some xylitol if you wanted I guess.

Bit of effort though. But a lot cheaper and healthier.

It's generally a better long term strategy to just get used to for example the taste of yoghurt and enjoy the tartness than seek low calorie versions of often overly sweet foods to begin with.

My standard desert is plain yoghurt with some fruit.

Recent discovery is frozen berries, like frozen blueberries - half the price of fresh, more convenient, and higher polythenols etc. as they're picked fully ripe before being frozen, unlike fresh blueberries. Just defrost some in the fridge the day before eating them, or the morning for evening.
    If you want a sweet treat with yoghurt just microwave them until they're warm/hot. Like sweet compote without any need for sugar etc. Likely nukes the phytonutrients though.

Most things are best made yourself really.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I have tried all the Halo Tops and they vary in texture; cookie dough and s'mores tend to have the best mouthfeel, but the vanilla has good flavour.  There's also FroPro which is very low carb and higher fat, salted caramel is good.  Natvia is the sweetener you want.
  • I have fullfat Greek yoghurt everyday. Each tub has about 17g protein.
  • Natvia, Truvia and Whole Earth sweetener are all Erythritol with a touch of stevia
    Truvia and Whole Earth add some natural flavouring. Don't know if that makes much of a difference.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Sugar_And_Sweetener/Natvia_Sweetener_300g.html

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Sugar_And_Sweetener/Silver_Spoon_Truvia_Sweetener_150g.html

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Sugar_And_Sweetener/Whole_Earth_Sweetener_Co_Sweet_Granules_with_Stevia_250g.html

I've got this Xylitol:
    http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Sugar_And_Sweetener/Total_Sweet_Natural_Xylitol_Sweetener_225g.html

Key difference is Xylitol isn't very good for baking - interferes with yeast etc.

But Erythritol and Xylitol are both alcohol sugars

Erythritol's generally better tolerated apparently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythritol
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol

I got Xylitol as it's meant to be good for your teeth - cavity causing bacteria binds to it but can't utilise it - and apparently helps promote remineralisation.

http://www.totalsweet.co.uk/

http://www.totalsweet.co.uk/xylitol/faqs

"Total Sweet xylitol is made from sustainable European birch and beech wood in Finland. Some products claim to be from just birch wood, but this is not strictly true as beech wood is also used in the manufacturing process."

So Xylitol's made from wood waste.

Erythritol's made from corn.

Natvia uses non GM corn apparently. Don't know if Truvia make that claim.

You can also get pure Erythritol without Stevia added on Amazon etc.

Some prefer pure stevia.

Not sure what alcohol sugars (polyols) do to your microbiome.

Loads of research is showing how important ones microbiome and gut health is.
    Obesity and disease can be caused directly by it apparently.

E.g. studies showed a faecal transplant from a healthy mouse into an obese mouse will cause the obese mouse to get healthy, and vice versa.

I got the xylitol for my teeth but don't ever actually use it really.
    Just have xlitol gum and xylitol toothpaste instead.

Unless you're baking what do you need sugar for?

Always been averse to adding sugar to anything, even if for taste it could really do with it. Haven't got over that with sweetener.

Again, probably best to just not need sweetener of any kind. Stevia's probably the safest bet though, but never tried it by itself.
  • Looks like xylitol may even be good for your gut and help with weight loss and bone health:
    https://www.side-effects-site.com/xylitol-side-effects.html
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5537870/

Occurs naturally in fruit etc. You can build up your tolerance threshold.

Stevia doesn't really seem to work by itself - bitter taste etc.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I don't like Halo Top. Tried a few but they didn't really work for me. Got a pint of Eat Enlightened now, chocolate/peanut butter. It's ok. It's the easiest to put back in the freezer after just a few scoops while still tasting good.

Don't eat ice cream at home that often, don't think I'll go for a new flavour once I'm done with this one. I'm more a fan of fruit flavoured gelato, all this chocolate /birthday cake /red velvet etc isn't really doing much for me.

Which also makes it easier to skip buying ice creams, not a lot of stores sell those, and I've tried all the flavours I was curious about by now (blue ice cream is the best, just for the fact you'll walk around with blue lipstick for a while)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    -1.5lbs this week despite some straying. Easter might be a challenge (see cake baking thread)
  • Rah! Ya boi has been in that Levis store spending up his bday gift card with great success.

Easily got in a pair of 34" waist slim fits like an absolute champ. Bit of room to spare as well, think I might make it down to 32" at some point which is madness.

In conclusion the last time I was a 34" waist was in my early 20s, so there, it can be done! It may have taken 3 years but I'm confident right now that by just slowly doing little things it's become routine and there's probably not much chance of falling off the wagon (famous last words) at this point, since I'm not even on a wagon, I left that shit behind somewhere.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Arnie at his peak has a 26 inch waist. 26 inches! bloody ridiculous.
  • Bah, I remember having a 26 inch waist when I was a teenager. Now I'm up to 30. Would try to bring it back down but that might be unhealthy.
  • 26 is ridiculous, I'm about the same height as the governator I think and 32" is going to be my absolute limit, like no extra flub on the waist at all measurement, a further 6" off that!? I'm surprised he could find trousers that fit with that waist and height combo.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I occasionally get a bit sad that I am not 28" any more when buying trousers.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Another 1lb off this week which is a result given it was Easter and I baked a cake!

Heading toward the 4 stone barrier - maybe in a couple of weeks.
  • 4 stone is awfully light.

(in all seriousness, you're doing fantastically)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!