Welcome to fat fighters.. 2020 .. Double Digits..
  • Yer, just do stuff at home temps, that's all I do, it's total piss. Just stuff like planks, lunges, using my cat as a barbell because #bully, sit ups, trying and failing at press ups without cheating, all the best stuff.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Is 63 kgs heavy or light for you?
  • Below average for sure
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Yer, just do stuff at home temps, that's all I do, it's total piss. Just stuff like planks, lunges, using my cat as a barbell because #bully, sit ups, trying and failing at press ups without cheating, all the best stuff.
    And if you're getting bored of those, make some paralettes of pvc pipes, it's cheap and opens up some interesting gymnastics stuff (which I'm not strong enough for at all I found out).
    I've also used a big water bottle with a good handle as a kettle bell for things like a Turkish get up or shoulder presses.

Both don't take up much space and can vary things a little.

• No point in doing situps - just do leg raises, better for your back.
    You know, various points at a clock with straight legs.

5 degrees or so is killer.

For rice, the best is meant to be GABA rice:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germinated_brown_rice

Basically let is germinate.

You can also sprout/germinate oats to make them more digestible and improve the amino acid profile.

Haven't done either yet - but may do GABA rice at some point when I go full health nut.

Never had a problem with white rice personally. Typically it's eaten with veg, not on it's own, which makes a big difference. And it's arguably better than wheat anyway.

So it's already a far cry from e.g. standard supermarket CBP bread:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chorleywood_bread_process

Which isn't fermented properly and not properly digestible, with loads of additives - so fake bread basically - to which fat and a high sugar spread is typically added. And eaten in isolation without any veg, often coupled with sri lankan floor sweepings with added cow juice and refined sugar.

It's the typical western diet that's the biggest issue really.

In Japan a regularly available snack is rice wrapped in seaweed with salmon or other savoury fillings inside. What do we have for snacks here? So called health snacks tend to be mushed dates with nuts.

I'm finding just going out on my bike excellent for exercise.
    Surprised that it seems to work your upper body a reasonable amount too. Guess it's from pulling and pushing the handlebars going up hills etc.

An intense 15-30 min spin on the bike is probably better than jogging for a few hours. Michael Moseley's been espousing the virtuous of short intense exercise vs traditional exercise, which certainly fits my beliefs. To be fair HIIT isn't particularly new, but I still really don't get it when people lycra up and jog at a constant pace for ages on a road etc. Saw a jogging troupe last night and fairplay if it gets people out, but I'd go for a swim (and get there by bike) instead.

Did some indoor rock climbing/bouldering on a whim the other week and that seems like it's fantastic for getting fit - I was aching for a week. Your work your whole body. There was no time limit either, just paid for access.
    Hi Hosting - Fast and Reliable UK Web Hosting
    We host a number of bears and badgers, get in touch if want a website too!
  • I still do lots of running, but my long runs these days tend to be at ‘maf’ HR pace (about 145bpm for me). There’s definitely a place for it, but just going jogging does have its limitations.

https://philmaffetone.com/what-is-maf/

My other runs tend to be proper training sessions with a running club, or jogging troupe!

Started doing HIIT and core strength stuff as well as footy to round things off. Reluctantly using Joe Wicks YouTube vids as a guide, used to do T25 but found my knees didn’t like it.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    HIIT is best; unless you are running cos you really like it or are training to run, don't run.

Aye rock climbing is a good shout; Temps a cousin of mine is about 5'11 and rail thin and is all over rock climbing cos the low weight means high maneuverability, so he's into it. Worth a go.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I challenge you to a press-Tempy, Skez.

Roujin wrote:
    God I can't believe how triggered just that site name alone got me hahahaha.

Yeah, 'cause you're brimming with T.

A running article, Daddy.
  • Just had a salmon and cream cheese bagel. Mmmmm. Haven’t had one in ages.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    I challenge you to a press-Tempy, Skez.

Roujin wrote:
    God I can't believe how triggered just that site name alone got me hahahaha.

Yeah, 'cause you're brimming with T.

A running article, Daddy.
    I can press one Tempy.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • I still haven’t tested my 1 Tempy Max
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    3.5lbs off this week.

So that's just over 3st off in 16 weeks.

Onward.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Nice!
  • Don’t forget, the leaner you get, the slower you need to take it. So at some point you wanna aim for 1lb a week. But that might be a way off still. :)
  • What's that based on elf?
  • Broscience, innit. 

(Some sort of research, but I can never remember details, just the principles. Something to do with not wanting to tap into muscle to plug the calorie deficit so you need to reduce the deficit and slowly tap into the lower amounts of fat.)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm still a big boy at 18st. (6' 1.5'') but yeah - I expect to hit a plateau at some point and/or experience a slow down. Will have to consider some more vigorous exercise than my lunchtime walk at that point.

I intend to try and lose another 3 st.  Will see how I progress.
  • Evening boys....   I got to a gargantuan 23.5 stone last year...   have made a few changes in september until now and have dropped back down to 18.5 stone from cutting out bread, potatoes and a shit tonne of alcohol.   Im now down to a 40inch waist and 46inch chest from 46 waist and 52inch chest.   No gym, just diet changes.  Have hit a plateau and now need to push hard at gym etc...    weirdly its nice to buy smaller clothes but i'm slightly ashamed I got as big as I did.  What a waste...  well, waist....  on goes the push
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That's big alright......my heaviest was a pound or two under 23st about 5 years ago. Got myself down to 19st via my own efforts similar to you a couple of years ago and then backslid to 21st again.

Decided I needed more structure. Wifey insisted we both join Slimming World and I was cynical at first but it is a good system. The weekly weigh in and meetings are sociable and felt weird at first but it works. The way I'm doing it now feels a great deal more sustainable.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    But that might be a way off still.

Jeez, put the boot in. Well done, Jimmy The Hips!
  • God I hate the gym.......

I find myself going at times when it is less busy so I don't have to endure all the people who actually know what they are doing and are all super fit...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I loath the gym. Have tried it many times - even with assistance I can't ever see me being a regular in any shape or form. I could perhaps suffer it once a week with a visit there being one activity among others - swimming, walking and something like Pilates. That would be my absolute limit.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Unless you're really into the equipment I wouldn't bother. Lifters, swimmers, indoor footballers, BBers and squashers all need it, but those who only jog on treadmills and lift a few dumbbells are there for the social side. I've my own 'bells and run outdoors.

Doing it with others is down to choice: some people need that to keep them honest, whereas I find it counterproductive. I like running with people occasionally, but I'd get frustrated full-time if they were slower than me, and I'd overtrain if I raced faster runners.* Parkruns are the best of both worlds because you can switch between pacemakers at will, but I don't have a local.

As an unfit beginner, I'd recommend targeting 1k in 7 minutes.

*I've a history of that when I used to run hills, but as a teenager I was able to recover.
  • Did Hudds parkrun this morning. Checked their FB page to make sure it was on, there’s a couple of threads about issues between faster and slower runners. Cos it’s a two-lap course the faster folks have to get past the slower ones at some point. Generally not an issue but sounds like it got a bit heated last week. Seemed friendly enough today.

Having said that I did nearly get wiped out by a dog-runner this morning.
  • Seconded, general weights and cardio just do at home. Imho ymmv.

Keep going everyone, we'll be the sexiest bitches of all time!
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • God I hate the gym....... I find myself going at times when it is less busy so I don't have to endure all the people who actually know what they are doing and are all super fit...

Heh. I hate it when I look up and see guys half my weight lifting twice as much as I can. But there could be all sorts of things going on and they’re probably gonna hurt themselves anyway. Nowadays I’m quite happy doing what I do and just ignore others.

Today I did have one guy trying to tell me how to squat though. 

Him: “Bro, you wanna keep your back straight. And look up.”
    Me: “Oh, isn’t my back straight? Shit, I thought I had it down quite well and do try to keep it straight”
    Him: “yes, but you’re leaning forward a bit at the bottom. You wanna keep your back straight. If you can’t keep it straight you should lower the weight”
    Me: “yeah I do a bit of lean at the bottom to keep bar over midfoot. So is my back not straight at bottom?!”
    *i look confused*
    *he demonstrates*
    Me: “oh, so you like to do narrow stance and a more vertical back. Cool. My preference is wider stance with low bar. Like powerlifters. I can’t do the bodybuilder style”
    *he looks confused*
    Me: “thanks for the tips bro. I’ll bear it in mind”
    *i carry on doing what I’m doing*
  • FUCKIN LIT UP THE MAN 'ELF, RAH.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Brotips innit

Haha like POOOWerlifters

Someone once tried to tell me not to anchor myself when benching, to put my feet on the bench to protect my back. I did a brief sideways glance and a 'thanks' before carrying on.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    One foot on, one foot off.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    God I hate the gym....... I find myself going at times when it is less busy so I don't have to endure all the people who actually know what they are doing and are all super fit...
    Heh. I hate it when I look up and see guys half my weight lifting twice as much as I can. But there could be all sorts of things going on and they’re probably gonna hurt themselves anyway. Nowadays I’m quite happy doing what I do and just ignore others. Today I did have one guy trying to tell me how to squat though.  Him: “Bro, you wanna keep your back straight. And look up.” Me: “Oh, isn’t my back straight? Shit, I thought I had it down quite well and do try to keep it straight” Him: “yes, but you’re leaning forward a bit at the bottom. You wanna keep your back straight. If you can’t keep it straight you should lower the weight” Me: “yeah I do a bit of lean at the bottom to keep bar over midfoot. So is my back not straight at bottom?!” *i look confused* *he demonstrates* Me: “oh, so you like to do narrow stance and a more vertical back. Cool. My preference is wider stance with low bar. Like powerlifters. I can’t do the bodybuilder style” *he looks confused* Me: “thanks for the tips bro. I’ll bear it in mind” *i carry on doing what I’m doing*

You might have been leaning a bit at the bottom, to be fair. One thing I've noticed in people who low bar squat, especially when squatting heavier weight, is to go down to just above parallel then lean forward a bit to make it look like they're going deeper than they are. I've noticed myself doing it in the mirror without realising.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!