Welcome to fat fighters.. 2020 .. Double Digits..
  • Haha. 
    I found it got easier quite quickly.

The sweat though, my god, the sweat!
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    What's DDP stand for and how is it different to normal yoga?

I've lost more weight from cutting down on sole calories.  Was encouraging at the last weigh-in to see bodyfat %age down.  Today though, % gone up slightly, and apparently muscle mass gone down a bit too.  So I think I need to up my protein intake.

DDP is a wrenstler he done the wrenstle
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    He did the wrenstle with his hansels.
  • Just caught up, the thread got pushed off my bookmarked list.

Good work Davy and all

I'm with Skerr on skipping breakfast.

I stopped skipping it a fair bit last year, saying I had too much to do and was worried about not being able to concentrate as I'm hungry - but skipping it really does work (and that's coming from someone that used to eat 7 weetabix in the morning at my peak breakfast size).

Back to skipping breakfast every day this year and it's much better.

Issue I always had with porridge is it'd make me really full, then suddenly the fullness would crash away and I'd get shaky - it's meant to be low GI and give slow release energy but for me it was mega full -> sudden crash of low blood sugar shakes at lunch time.

But if that doesn't happen to you it's a decent choice.

Muesli isn't as good as it's claimed to be - mostly because of all the dried fruit.
    Muesli with just nuts or seeds would be better - so at least it's not high sugar with high fat.

For weight loss a good trick is not to combine fat and carbs.
    So carbs and protein.
    Protein and fat
    Veg with everything etc.

Something like a Krispy Kreme is the epitome of fat gaining foods - high in refined sugar - to create an insulin response, plus loads of fat - which just gets mopped up right away by that insulin response.

Fruit and nut muesli is almost the health food equivalent of that.

Much better to eat dried fruit and nuts completely separately from each other, and really avoid dried fruit altogether - fresh fruit being much more filling for fewer calories because of the volume, water content and fibre.

I did Japanese style savoury breakfasts before, which were much better.
    Bit of effort - but yeah, the whole sweet breakfasts (which porridge and muesli are just a bit healthier versions of) is weird western thing.

If you swapped that with a bowl of rice, veg and dried fish like they'd eat in South Korea etc. or a Japanese breakfast which has similar components, you'd see a lot of benefit I think.
    I certainly lost weight eating like that, and it's more nutritious and less bloating. Plenty of vitamins and protein without a large volume of milk and grains etc.

But yeah I just skip it and go straight to a big salad with sardines typically for lunch.

Followed by a coffee with a treat, but starting to phase that out.

Problem with coffee is invariably I couple with a treat. There's supposed to be some science to that being better than just having the treat by itself - for reducing weight gain - the caffeine is meant to reduce the insulin response (although I imagine that means ones blood sugar remains elevated - so I wonder what the long term health effects of that would be - need to do some research). But yeah, going to cut it out as treats stop being nice anyway if you have them regularly, and the calorie and health cost is so high for something that's often not particularly satisfying. Get more pleasure from eating some fresh fruit or even peppers or tomatoes.

Coffee and treat was causing an afternoon crash for me I think before, although it's been better recently.

On coffee the stuff they put in them in a typical coffee shop is ridiculous. I made the mistake of having a large mocha at Costa last week and found out after that it had around 8 teaspoons of sugar in! Only the basic coffees (Americano, Latte, flat white etc.) are safe.

Which brings us to sugar, Government nutrition advice, and the cereal and dairy lobby - which results in adults eating sugary processed cereals bathed in cow juice as a "right start" to the day.

Michael Mosley's done some good stuff:

Reading The Case Against Sugar at the moment too:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Case-Against-Sugar-Gary-Taubes-ebook/dp/B01M33BP8B/

It's pretty much crack

The problem is, food companies want to sell products.

So supermarket shelves are now filled with "health food" bars. To be fair they're a lot tastier and better than Snickers etc. But it's staggering how many there are now to cash in on the shift to healthier food. And the problem is rather than just eat some nuts on their own, you end up having nuts combined with rice syrup, or coconut nectar (sugar basically), or dates and fruit concentrates - so you've got  a snack that's high in fat and creates an insulin response again.

The problem is they want to shift products - so the best for for us isn't the best thing for them. Much better to bulk buy some nuts and put them in a jiffy bag - and carry an apple or banana or grapefruit, or even grapes in a jiffy bag - but yeah.

There's still lots of conflicting advise out there, but it still seems that government nutrition/dietary recommendations are pretty wrong - being way to carb and cereal focused, still demonising fats, and with a big dairy and meat presence. Basically keeping the large agri lobby happy.

No doubt people would be a lot healthier if they cut cow out of their diets (beef causes cancer, two thirds of the population have some level of lactose intolerance, there's no evidence milk helps with calcium levels, homogenised milk can cause heart damage). I've pretty much done that now actually - only have milk when I have a coffee in town - but might stop that too.

For adult humans to drink industrially processed bovine mammary secretions meant for the weening of calves is pretty bizarre when you think about it.

Anyhoo, I'm ranting. Sorry, just realised how ridiculously long that is. Feel free to skip over!

G'luck all. Going to fast this year, which I haven't done for ages.
    Hi Hosting - Fast and Reliable UK Web Hosting
    We host a number of bears and badgers, get in touch if want a website too!
  • Great post Dan.

My efforts to go keto have been a bit poor so far, though I’m still keeping away from a lot of shit so it’s not all bad.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Good post Dan. You might want to read some Dr Briffa posts. He’s generally low carb, but also keen to educate around simplification of dietary health by the government.

http://www.drbriffa.com/

• 4 weeks no booze.
    A few days to go but I can't say I am fussed, will stick to my plan to hold out until I have friends over for the Superbowl, which will make it five weeks. That is different to last time I did dry January where I was itching for a drink.

It's been a bit of an eye opener about how much the booze makes life just more difficult. I have been insanely busy this month, working to some extent everyday including weekends, generally a full 8 hours, sometimes 10 or 12. I just couldn't have done it if I had had a drink as well.

I'm going to use that as motivation to keep the drink cut back even when work slows down a bit. I have a project I started, an office to decorate and some software learning goals for the year.
  • But I like milk :( actually the only time I have it is if I have porridge or protein shake.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Milk is great.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Full fat all the way.
  • I do actually consume a fair bit of dairy - but as yoghurt - which removes the lactose issue, and adds the benefits of probiotics. Not sure if they use unhomgenised milk though - hope so - may depend on the manufacturer.

Milk is good post workout and for bulking up - and potentially for fat loss too.

But:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk#Criticism
    "Milk production is also resource intensive. On a global weighted average, for the production of a given volume of milk, a thousand times as much water has to be used"

And the obvious animal welfare and environmental issues.
    Given the size of the world population, and likely increased dairy consumption, the costs of keeping all those cows is arguably too high.

"Milk from any mammal contains amino acids and microRNA which influence the drinker's metabolism and growth;[120] this "programming" is beneficial for milk's natural consumers, namely infants of the same species as the milk producer, but post-infancy and trans-species milk consumption affects the mTORC1 metabolic pathway and may promote diseases of civilization such as obesity and diabetes."

- Basically it's meant for calves, not human adults - and can cause harm because of that.

"A study published in The BMJ that followed more than 45,000 men and 61,000 women in Sweden age 39 and older had similar results. Milk consumption in adults was associated with no protection for men, and an increased risk of fractures in women. The risk of any bone fracture increased 16 percent in women who drank three or more glasses daily, and the risk of a broken hip increased 60 percent. It was also associated with an increased risk of death in both sexes."

- Don't believe the stronger bones claims in other words.

I mostly have yeo valley - which at least is organic, has very little lactose being yoghurt, and other benefits.

But did look into it before, and A2 milk is meant to be better.
    Jersey and Guernsey cows tend to produce this - which are more traditional cows rather than those bred for mass milk production like holsteins.

Hard to get hold of though, but might try

http://www.guernseycattle.com/producers/

http://www.browncoworganics.co.uk/browncow/organic-yoghurt.html

http://www.hurdlebrook.co.uk/products

So if you're going to drink milk may be better to have something like gold top or the equivelant.
    Mostly A2, and not homogenised.
    Although there's no conclusive evidence that's better - although plenty of suggestion that's the case.

I just use coconut or almond milk now - that's easier, although you have to search around for that too as companies like Alpro put loads of crap in theirs.
    And they're low protein - so of no use post workout etc - just for coffee etc.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Full fat all the way.

o/
  • \o

\ ^__^
    \ (oo)\_______
    (__)\ )\/\
    ||----w |
    || ||
  • Ascii cow didn’t work out too well...
  • Skim the top of that and you've got a load of Beta Casein A2:
    http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sainsburys-price-comparison/Fresh_Milk/Sainsburys_Taste_the_Difference_Jersey_Milk_750ml.html

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/waitrose-price-comparison/Fresh_Milk/Grahams_Gold_Top_Milk_1L.html

Or just have it whole, but yeah. There's a good argument to be made for traditional milk vs the standard supermarket stuff.

db         db
        d88           88
       888            888
      d88             888b
      888             d88P
      Y888b  /``````\8888
    ,----Y888        Y88P`````\
    |        ,'`\_/``\ |,,    |
     \,,,,-| | o | o / |  ```'
           |  """ """  |
          /             \
         |               \
         |  ,,,,----'''```|
         |``   @    @     |
          \,,    ___    ,,/
             \__|   |__/
                | | |
                \_|_/
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Raw or nothing, htfu

I consume quark and it is good.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Raw is great until you die of listeria.
  • Last time on had raw was 2008. Visiting in-laws’ village in Bangladesh, some sort traidtion to have a glass of freshly milked milk before entering/visiting for the first time. Eugh.

I’m never going back. But that’s more cos of the hand-sized spiders and the cockroaches and the mosquitoes etc etc. Snakes too. Bloody snakes.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Raw is great until you die of listeria.
    Standards man
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've finally made the full time transition from refined carbs to wholemeal. So out with the white rice and pasta. I'd already stopped eating white bread years ago, but never made the move away from the other refined carbs. Like most things, I suppose once you get used to the taste its completely fine.
  • Brown rice is OP imho. Much prefer it to white rice, way more flavour.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I dunno, I had a sarnie that was made it of white bread. It was like when the moody fucker ate some Ratatouille in Ratatouille.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Brown rice is OP imho. Much prefer it to white rice, way more flavour.

Interesting article on benefits of brown vs white rice

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/tip-stop-eating-brown-rice
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Maintained this week - no loss or gain.

That's a result as it was Guinness-a-go-go at the weekend.  A 50th birthday lads outing in Donegal. Hotel breakfast fryups , burgers, curry chips and astounding amounts of the black milk over 2 nights.  :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Roujin wrote:

Interesting article on benefits of brown vs white rice

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/tip-stop-eating-brown-rice

Well fuck. Now what do I do?
  • White basmati.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Roujin wrote:
    Interesting article on benefits of brown vs white rice https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/tip-stop-eating-brown-rice

The fuck is testosterone nation? Sounds like a load protein obsessed douchebros trying to tell me to eat spirulina algae as my only veg and nothing but chicken as my only protein. 

I don't give a fuck if brown rice has phytic acid that makes it harder to absorb other nutrients, especially for me since I'm a hipster 100% plant boi these days and I get more nutrients than I know what do with. But white rice is a worse carb (even if it's just marginal) for your average guy on the street, swapping it for brown won't hurt them. They aren't athleetes, they aren't going to need to worry about their micronutritional needs. 

God I can't believe how triggered just that site name alone got me hahahaha.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I'm with you Rouj, bro-y food science makes me react to things the same way getting a nice coffee makes Superfly react to HIPSTERS etc

I weighed myself a few days ago, I think the scales are busted as they came out at 63 kilos, but it could be right as money troubles and healthy eating have combined to tighten my belt somewhat. I really need to start doing some exercises, even if it's just at home.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Start a planche training thing, plus handstands and stuff. Do it every day and get hella strong, all you need is hands

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!