Anime and Manga
  • Over 3 years since I ordered it, but I think Makoto Shinkai double-pack Blu-Ray of Voices... and Place Promised... should be here in November. Excited to watch them all over again in HD.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I hear Fullmetal Alchemist is good and have been meaning to watch it for a long time. Original or Brotherhood, hmm?
  • Hmmm... I prefer the original, but I really like brotherhood. Original is much more emotional I think, but i definitely welled up in brotherhood a few times too. Action is brotherhood is amazing.

Just watch original first and you'll want to see brotherhood anyway :)
  • When Marnie Was There. Enjoyed it. Lovely Sunday afternoon relaxing anime. Had a lump in my throat at the end.

Just found out that the next movie by my current fave director, Makoto Shinkai, is out in cinema on Nov 24th. Gotta remember to book it! Think it's just the one showing I think. Anime isn't that niche anymore, surely?!
  • It's not that niche but distribution is a pain over here still, most cinema chains aren't going to bother dealing with smaller distributors for minimal profit. 

As for stuff we watched, I went and gave MOB PSYCHO 100 a go. It was pretty good. It's based on a webcomic by the One Punch Man bloke, so similar characters, off kilter designs, a protagonist who is unbelievably powerful but at least has a deficiency that makes him interesting. Anime is nice and short at 12 episodes and has enough style and humour to carry it easily to its inevitable finale.
  • My bad, just saw message on cineworld site that times for 25th onwards will go up on Tuesday. I may get to see it at weekend yet. Fingers crossed.

^I like mini series. Will put that on my watch list.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    That's amazing.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Been awhile since I've watched anything new, though there was a Lupin reboot a year or so ago... It was all the rage in Japan (at least based on Pachinko branding), and I've been told it's worth the time... Can anyone confirm that?

Also, new Attack on Titan...

Any better?
  • There's probably a new Lupin, I remember Colony Drop going on about it two years ago
  • Emirates flight had Your Name. Wasn't about to watch it with inadequate screen and crap sound. Funny that they only had the Shinkai films and one of Hosoda's. No Miyazaki at all.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yeah, but Doctor Strange was boom' though, innit?
  • Yeah, it was good and I wasn't bothered about watching it on plane. Wish I had saved Hell or High Water fro home though. That was great.
  • Gonna try and catch In This Corner of the World in the cinema if I can. WWII drama. Only at select cinemas next Wed and Thur, but I think it'll come to more soon after.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Just bought the first volume of Akira after skimming and the old style art giving me a nostalgia injection I haven't seen since old Shirow. Seen the feature enough times but never read it.
  • I never read it either, but have a few of the dark horse volumes from when they sold them off for like, £3 each or something.

Decided to instead preorder that rediculous new set on amazon and start reading those:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1632364611/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1497723031&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=akira&dpPl=1&dpID=51U2Mpc8r4L&ref=plSrch

(Was about 60-70 when I ordered luckily)

Also heard that they're gonna start making Pluto into an 8 part anime series. One of my favourite ma has ever made that. Can't wait till 2020!
  • Aye I am gonna read Pluto as I've seen it floating about after the announcement, looks ace.
  • Pluto is decent. I still need to finish Billy Bat actually.
  • Manga is perfect to flick through at work as it can be dropped easier than a book, so I am induldging my post-uni misery by reading My Hero Academia, the latest of the Shouto take on Western Superhero stuff. The Anime was well animated but far too trying in its repition of dialogue, but at least it ended with a bit of virtuoso animation from Yutaka Nakamura and pals.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Pluto is decent. I still need to finish Billy Bat actually.

Done the first tkb of this, it's really good and unexpectedly touching. The North #2 stuff got me immediately because I am soft as fuck. I am going to plough on with this, but where do you recommend next. Monster? 21st Century Boys? Billy Bat?
  • 20th/21st C is maybe his zenith, but Monster hardly sucks.
  • I read Monster! One of only 2 mangas I read. Thoroughly enjoyed it. (The other being Death Note which was amazing.)
  • Almost picked up 21st Century Boys before. Will deffo pick up in future.
  • 20th century boys is incredible. I actually have the film triology on my shelf, still sealed as I can hardly imagine it'd live up to the books. Will give it a go one day.

Monster was the most recent one of his I finished, a very very good series let down by a slightly anticlimactic ending.

Master Keaton is meant to be good too, but have recently got into inio asano's works so never got round to it. Goodnight punpun is well worth your time (and money if you like that sort of thing).
  • Cheers folks. I've decided to churn through as much manga as I can over summer.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Just bought the first volume of Akira after skimming and the old style art giving me a nostalgia injection I haven't seen since old Shirow. Seen the feature enough times but never read it.

Seen the film loads of times, after reading it I don't think I could ever watch it again.

Got the 1st 3 volumes of Pluto coming as I need something to break the run of Horus Heresy books
    I've been catching up on.
  • I've only read the first volume of Akira (which I am currently re-reading before starting the whole thing) and it's so different from the off. That said, Otomo was so involved with the film I have no problem with accepting both of them.
  • Aye both are grand. Akira VHS was my first anime purchase so I have a lot love for it as it started* my interest in anime/manga. Otomo's work has been in the mix for the last 26 years or so.

The manga wins by some distance for me tho, because it's obviously more fleshed out & more coherent, but the win is because of the mans pencil skills.

*Tbh, at the time I thought it was my 1st introduction to anime, but that came years earlier with a westernized & shitter version(but not at the time tbf) of Gatchaman, aka G-Force, aka Battle of the planet's some 37 odd years ago. I have a few regrets, if any, ref my time in Japan, but if there is one, it would probably be not making a pilgrimage to the Tatsunoko building in Musashino as I'm a huge Gatch/Yoshida/Amano fan with a fair bit of science ninja tat.
  • I watched Akira again a couple of years ago and was left less impressed than when I saw it as a young 'un. Used to be my favourite anime. It is currently far from my favourite.
  • Ultimately, if you ease off the vice like grip from your member, the film doesn't make all that much sense. Realise that, then re-engage.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!