Anime and Manga
  • Brooks wrote:

Thanks for the link! Watching now and it's incredible. I loved the one he did with Inio Asano (which lead me to buying most of his work) but seeing one with such an amazing and iconic artist I already love is awesome.

edit: @griff mangafox has them all I think, I prefer to support an artist's work and read the books myself, but mangafox is a good way to have a peek and see if it's you're kind of thing.
  • None of it is on mangefox.
  • https://mangafox.me/search/artist/ITOU+Junji/

Annoyingly the english releases are compilations of stories, that in japan might be in different compilations? I think that's the difference anyway.

edit: found fragments of horror: https://mangafox.me/manga/ma_no_kakera/
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Breaking news: Meow Meow Japanese History is so stupid it's brilliant.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya I had billed as a "will look fantastic but fairly humdrum story" and I was eating that assumption with the amount of substance this film had which meant I was in genuine tears for the third act and belly laughs for much more of it. This is, sorry for italics but, such a good film and it's going to be the first Ghibli I blurt out when prompted from now on.
  • I manage to catch it in the cinema. Was good, but not my fave. Takata > Miyazaki, though.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • FLCL Progressive in July
    FLCL Alternative in September

I'm not sure how I feel about this
  • I feel nothing since FLCL sucked anyway.
  • I felt scared for most of the trailer, then ‘shooting star’ started and I immediately hyped.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I manage to catch it in the cinema. Was good, but not my fave. Takata > Miyazaki, though.

Was that dubbed? Scum.

On another note I dunno whether i'm thankful or not that I found this edit.
    Spoiler:
  • Nope. Not dubbed. Cineworld had Japanese with subtitles. I never do dubbed. NEVER.
  • Shame, some of them are good. Most of Watanabe's output springs to mind, Kids on the Slope/Terror in Resonance aside.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Kids on the Slope... aside.

what
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Also catching up on some missed Ghibli I saw Laputa. Pretty good. Rushed third act but the music is pretty banging and the pirates are great. Also some cool looking machines like the Flaptors. It was fun in the special features where Miyazaki describes being inspired by a visit to Cardiff for the coal mining town in the film.

For mangos I read all of PLUTO and was left thinking yes that was good though the last book dragged a bit. Not having any knowledge of Astro Boy may have dulled the heights.

Bounced off the first volume of 20th Century Boys a couple of times but now I'm zooming through the third volume probably after finding the time to read it when I'm not tired after work.
  • 20th century boys took me a couple of gos, but yeah once I was in I bought every volume in just 2 weeks. That was a dumb move, but worth it. I promised myself I’ll re-read them all.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Kids on the Slope... aside.

what

I separated Bebop/Champloo/Dandy from
    Slope/Resonance because the latter two are explicitly Japanese in a way that the former three aren't in my mind.

Even though Champloo is a Samurai /
    Chambara show, it has a lot of western hip-hop roots. I generally feel the quality of the dub is more ephemeral than the strength of the acting. Eva 2.22 suffers at times from
    trying to force american voices into its sub, for example.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Oh sorry, I completely misunderstood your post and thought you were saying Kids on the Slope was bad.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Tempy wrote:
    Eva 2.22 suffers at times from
    trying to force american voices into its sub, for example.

I think Eva 2.0/22 is probably my favourite film of all time. Is that awful? I went to see it at the BFI and it was stupidly loud, and I was pretty close to the screen. The whole thing was just an incredible experience, and rewatching still feels as awesome.

I didn’t think much of 3.0... was ok.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Anyone seen this Batman Ninja thing? It's reviewing very well in some circles. More interested in seeing that, than y/a Marvel/Disney movie*.

*Though I have to see Infinity War
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Splurged in Forbidden Planet's flagship yesterday. Got some more 20th Century Boys, the first volume of Monster, decided to try and get into JoJo's (is Phantom Blood the entry point? I should have really researched first), Princess Mononoke because I've never actually seen it and the fucking gorgeous Porco Rosso art book which is my prize purchase. Seemed like there's an art book for at least every well-known Ghibli. A tome of concept artwork and production commentary. Really recommended.
  • Enjoy Monster. I liked it. 

If I get any Ghibli artbooks, I think Laputa will be my first choice. I’m gonna venture to Forbidden Planet soon me thinks.
  • Really enjoyed Super Eyepatch Wolf's vids recently. Just dropped an Akira retrospective, class, and not really that rose-tintey

A lot of other stuff on his channel too. Got me to try out One Punch Man which I really enjoyed.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Splurged in Forbidden Planet's flagship yesterday. Got some more 20th Century Boys, the first volume of Monster, decided to try and get into JoJo's (is Phantom Blood the entry point? I should have really researched first), Princess Mononoke because I've never actually seen it and the fucking gorgeous Porco Rosso art book which is my prize purchase. Seemed like there's an art book for at least every well-known Ghibli. A tome of concept artwork and production commentary. Really recommended.

Good haul! I tried to get all 20thCBs there as they had 3for2 on them all (annoyingly I had to order some here and there from other places). 

I sorely miss work being a 5 minute walk from there, as I would spend many lunches just popping in and seeing what was out. Also being able to then walk to Orbital and Gosh! if looking for something in particular. Where I am now, there's just nothing around that interests me at all, so I spend my lunch at my desk or just wandering aimlessly near Bank or whatever.

Off topic, anyone know where I can get the Akira 35th anniversary boxset for a decent price? Should have bought it when it hit £70-80 last year...

(also that video is awesome afgav, really well put together and you're right, not rose tinted or anything).
  • I managed to get the Akira set for myself for my Birthday, using amazon.de and one of their ‘warehouse deals’. Basically, they have a selection of reduced box sets in English which have various faults. I found one where the only fault was with the outside box, which reduced the price to about £90 with delivery (regular rrpis about £175-200). Received it today and the books are all fine, just a tear on one of the box flaps. Glad I was able to find one as this thing is immense, and looks incredible.

97460_B3_C_F647_4_AC3_9_FE1_EE8704_B9593_F.jpg

64_B15782_BC3_C_4_DD9_B009_090_AE9_A2_EAFB.jpg

Can’t wait to finally read it!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    wow

:)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Well jel
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Totoro is kind of dull and boring tbh.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The titular shits are not in it enough.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Totoro is kind of dull and boring tbh.

Dieeeeeee!!!!!!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!