Anime and Manga
  • Nice. Brotherhood is on my list. Although I do have the first one on DVD. 

Will deffo watch Dennou Coil on that recommendation!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Rattled through a few more Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood This is the one that generally sits comfortably atop the best of lists, seemingly indestructible. Hiromu Arakawa's defining work, a shounen written by (gasp!) a woman, that manages to sidestep a bunch of the inevitable crassness of most shounen, and is also fairly condensed and well paced to boot. Brotherhood is a direct adaptation of the manga, as opposed to the original 2003 FMA, which goes really bizarre after the first third and does its own thing. There are pros and cons to this - Brotherhood is definitely well thought through from beginning to end, but the pacing means that the earlier stuff isn't given time to properly settle and it can feel a bit breakneck. What I really liked about this, beyond the smart use of setting and theme to reinforce its messages, are how it refused to just be about the to central characters. By the end its about a lot of different people, a real ensemble cast of good folk, villains, people caught in between with their own issues and feelings. It feels like a great companion piece to Avatar/Korra, not just in the elemental magic, but in the way it neatly deals with some adult ideas and serious themes without ever becoming too grim or nasty. It's not the best thing I've ever watched, but I happily chewed through all 60 odd episodes without ever feeling bored. Dennou Coil - Now this is a good one. An anime i'd recommend to anyone, which is high praise. Directed and written by Mitsuo Iso, who has had a long, long career in animation, it's a blindingly well made program that spends a long time setting up the rules and laws of its world, to deliver a really neat and well packaged story that touches on some interesting and culturally relevant themes. Essentially a mystery story following a bunch of kids as they live their life in a city that has fully given itself over to AR technology. Everyone wears glasses and people own AR pets. The world is made to look better by the inclusion of AR assets in real life, and the line between reality and technology is blurred. It feels in many ways like a more straightforward and less meditative follow up to Serial Experiments Lain. That may sell the ruminations it has on modern technology short, but it always feels very accessible. Aired on NHK in a traditional children's programming slot, it builds a complex world and reinforces its ideas quite a lot, but it definitely isn't just for children. Unlike a lot of anime the quality of animation is incredible from start to finish. It looks and feels like a Ghibli film, but is 26 episodes long. It also has a wonderful standout episode called "Daichi's Hair Begins to Grow" which may just be one of the best episodes of an anime I can care to name. The Tatami Galaxy - an adaptation of a campus novel by Masaaki Yuasa, the director behind the brilliant Mind Games (and Ping-Pong, which I haven't seen) The Tatami Galaxy follows the trials and tribulations of a freshman student as they try to navigate the social milieu of University life, and figure out their social standing amongst a weird group of individuals. It's really refreshingly animated and oscillates between heartfelt and hilarious without skipping a beat. There's a very obvious twist to the story in episode one that sets up the subsequent story quite nicely, but its resolution is even better, and the penultimate episode is a fantastic mixed media exploration of animation which is so nice to see in Anime which can often seem quite generic and static. Thumbs up for all.
  • Exactly my thoughts on Brotherhood too. I was a die hard fan of the original series, and felt they rushed through some really big emotional moments in Brotherhood.

It was really nice watching them as they came out though, jumping on forums when a fansub was done and talking with others who had never read it.

Am finally rectifying that by buying the new (GORGEOUS) FMA hardcovers. Vol 1 is currently out, and goes for under a tenner on amazon at the moment.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I read the first two volumes of Made in Abyss. I really like the world and general gist but the surprise lolicon every so often fucks me up and fucks me off far more than the escalating gore and terror. That and the protags being kids results in some utter trite get in the sea fucking dialogue. Be more like Blame!
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    What the fuck Japan please deep clean your popular culture of that shit.
  • Japan is broadly unwoke and it's very annoying.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I bought a Manga, it's back to front how do I read it
  • Honestly though, like this:

manga-reading-order.jpg

What did you buy?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Cheers Temps. Fragments of Horror by Ito. Gonna see if I get into it and buy the rest of his stuff. Was also looking at some graphic novels but know fuck all about em.
  • They're just comics lad, don't think too hard about it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yah but I want dark and gritty not superfly and mustard man and stuff
  • Still just comics innit. Read From Hell.
  • Cheers Temps. Fragments of Horror by Ito. Gonna see if I get into it and buy the rest of his stuff. Was also looking at some graphic novels but know fuck all about em.

Gooooood choice! I love that book. Hope you enjoy it.
  • Your Name. 

Shinkai continues to be my favourite. Animation is great, and it’s all so beautiful. But always so full of feeling. This had a happier ending than 5cm, but still lots of melancholy.
  • Maybe melancholy isn’t the right word/emotion, but anyone watching his stuff will know what I mean. 

Tomorrow I’ll give In This Corner Of The World a watch.
  • OMG Totoro 30th anniversary boxset includes art book and lots of tat and isn’t limited to 1000 pieces omg someone stop me
  • The most shameless secret santa plug I ever saw smdh
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Smdh? Suck my dick hard?
  • Tempy wrote:
    don’t

Thanks, I won’t.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    That seems astronomically expensive for what it is. It's the generic amaray Blu-ray case without even the card O-ring, a book you can get for £14 separately and some cheap tat. They've done a Steelbook previously and there's a novelisation from the same Western publisher as the art book that isn't there so it isn't even comprehensive. No soundtrack?
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Yes yes I know, I wasn’t really going to buy it. Honest.
  • Mirai, latest film by Hosoda. Been showing in select cinemas since 2 Nov I think and I’ve only just found out. And showings end on Friday. All either decent-after-work-time dub or bad-timing sub. So I’ll allow it and catch it on home video. Dammit.

I like Hosoda’s stuff specially Wolf Children, that was great.
  • Oh cool. Yeah I heard about that film after they did an exhibition on him which I also missed out on.

I also love wolf children. And summer wars.

‘The Girl who leapt through time’ might be my favourite though.
  • Yeah I’d say GWLTTime is my second.  I was instantly taken by his storytelling with that film.
  • Mob Psycho 100 is knocking it out of the park this season, it’s set to be an all time top 10 at the rate it’s going. Animation is just superb throughout.
  • Oh there's a new series? That was a not wretched show iirc so on it goes.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    We started Naruto on Netflix but that Mob Psycho looks like loads more fun.

(Naruto is not bad but it so goddamn slow. So far it averages about 20 useful frames per episode)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!