Anime and Manga
  • I’d never say he wasn’t fucked up
  • Finished Evangelion on Netflix, overall I think the relationship between Shinji and Kaworu is definitely more subtle than the original dub/sub, however that doesn’t mean there isn’t clear attraction or homosexual feelings, so yeah, read into that what you like I guess.

Other that that it was mostly just weird to see something I know pretty well, but sounding totally different (it reminded me of the twin snakes MGS remake if that makes sense). I got over it but it did sort of stop me enjoying it as much again 12 years later. It was also nice to watch knowing what I know now about the 2 endings, along with the comments Anno has made since. His disdain for the vocal fandom of the show is pretty clear isn’t it? Quite funny to see them just destroy everything based on the massive backlash of the original ‘happy’ ending.

Anyway, next is to find my blu rays for rebuild 1.11 - 3.33. 2.22 is probably my favourite thing in all of Evangelion, so looking forward to getting to it.

Edit: also the end to EoE is much more upsetting a second time round. This time Shinji just being unable to get past his own self loathing and taking it out on everyone, unwilling to admit that he needs to solve his own problems and just failing to reach out. I get it’s meant to reflect on the people who wrote death letters and such to the studio but man, seeing Shinji utterly fail and lose his shit at others is hard after just seeing him rectify things in the series.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    We watched the first two episodes of Evangelion last night on Netflix. I don't know anything about it but it looks good so far. Still a bit salty that B doesn't feel the need to continue with JoJo or HxH right now.

I'm not sure how I feel like dreaming about a penguin after watching this. It was real weird, it was an empty room with an old TV in the middle on the ground and it's for the penguin. Next thing I remember is the penguin watching TV while laying on its belly, but lower half is a female body. I don't know how it connected as it was wearing some kinda denim jacket. And panties. That's it. Think I woke up.

Let's just hope it doesn't get worse.
  • Oh my god that dream. I wouldn’t know how to sleep the next evening.

In my head it’s like a simpson’s artist drawing or something.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Yeah I'm still trying to figure out where it sits on the weird dream scale. That picture won't help me get sleep tonight though.

I feel like my dream was more pixelated though, B started FFVIII and it definitely had the same colour scheme.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message

This looks pretty good, same people as Gurren Lagann and Kill La Kill.
  • Nice!

They also did one of my personal favourite series, magical shopping arcade Abenobashi...

and panty and stocking with garterbelt... but I agree that that one is an acquired taste. You need to love awesome things.

Edit: Oh right gainex isnt quite the same as trigger is it? Am guessing it’s people who left gainex?
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    From Wikipedia:

"The film is directed by Hiroyuki Imaishi and written by Kazuki Nakashima, both previously working together on Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill, with Nakashima and Trigger credited for the original work."

Seems that Imaishi left Gainex and founded Trigger. Nakashima might be freelance? I didn't see a company on his page.

I've never heard of Abenobashi, do you know of its on cruncyroll? Might be time for a subscription, with watching JoJo, HxH and now Neon Genesis Evangelion recently I find life action TV a bit more boring (still good stuff, but I forgot how much I love incredibly well timed vfx and battles etc)
  • Can't imagine it will have a huge audience here, but I wrote a piece about Hunter x Hunter and why it's one of the smartest bits of shonen out there. Full of spoilers though.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I won't read it yet as I'm afraid of the spoilers. Intro is promising though!

Think we're 19 episodes into Evangelion, I haven't looked up the total. It's so good though.
    It's beautiful, I love the colour choices, the framing, the timing, the way to express feelings by clever editing / timing.
    Spoiler:
    Just a couple scenes from the last episode / episodes we watched.

I didn't expect this when I started watching. I actually wasn't really interested but B said he wanted to see it.
  • I'm glad you're enjoying it Nina. You've just managed to reach the episodes I really like. Everything after the weird Dirac Sea/3D shadow angel up until Shinji fights Zeruel is really good. The episodes with Uni-03 are some of my favourite from the show.

Despite it having lots of flaws, I still love it. It's very good at getting around the lack of budget with smart use of static scenes and music and I don't think they really detract from it as it's quite a slow paced show in a lot of places anyway. There's the infamous elevator scene but I always felt people were hypercritical of that anyway, it's a show that loves to make you wait. I will be interested to see what you make of the ending, and especially what you make of End of Evangelion.

I am currently re-watching Diamond is Unbreakable because Ev wanted to see it after we finished JoJo part 3, and DIU is easily the best part i've watched. Currently reading Part 6, Stone Ocean, and it's definitely upping the weirdness and gore from previous parts. I dunno how they'll actually translate it to anime cos it's quite a step up from even the over the top nature of Part 5.
  • Part 4 is my favourite of the comics, but Part 6 is possibly the best.
  • Furthermore to the violence stuff, how are they gonna animate the Bohemian Rhapsody stuff? Some off-brand Mickey Mouse style mascot?
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I enjoyed the 3D angel bit (Leliel says Google), but maybe that's because I don't know what will come. I'll admit that I do miss quite a bit, as we're watching during dinner and have the Japanese voices. I often have no real idea of the bigger story, but that doesn't take away my enjoyment.

This show didn't have a budget? B mentioned after the first 2 or 3 episodes how surprised he was by how little was reused, maybe that's just really good planning within the budget.
    We saw the elevator scene this week, but I thought it fitted very well actually. Asuka is struggling a lot with her emotions / temper at that point, and I don't think it would have worked if they did it an other way. You can feel the internal struggle.

These kind of timings are one of the reasons I love animation. It gives you time to feel emotions with very little context, and I enjoy that. It's a bit like the easy part of a roller-coaster I guess, a lot of build up for what's coming, with not much happening in that actual moment.

I enjoy the way NGE is telling it's story, at times I'm afraid they'll keep pushing back the thing you expect to happen (Shinji's struggling with deciding if he wants to be a pilot or not), but it's often resolved within the same episode they state the problem. I appreciate that.
  • The budget was pretty big but mishandled fairly badly from what I know. Production was on an episode to episode basis with Anno changing elements at a whim, which is why the gear shift is so no pronounced in the latter half. I think towards the end they ran out of cash though, and it shows
  • When I was listening to the waypoint evangelion podcast they seemed to push back a little on the idea it was budget and seemed to suggest more of the problems were down to Anno doing stuff v. Last minute. The example I vaguely remember was that the lift scene remains its length regardless of whether it’s the network tv or a later added footage version of the episode. I remember a scene, I’m gonna guess in 24, where they hold everything for so long but it does feel properly intentional.
  • Yeah it's a very complex history and I doubt anyone has the full story. It definitely has a lot of last minute stuff going on, which is probably how they managed to do a lot of things as when you've funded a project with someone like Anno, from a studio like Gainax, based around updating and playing with old TV show formulas you can't really pull it when at the last minute they do a 180 and make it all about people's introspection. Mishandling of the budget is the best way of describing it i'd say.
  • Gonna start watching kengan ashura on netflix, if it's anything like baki then I'm sold.
  • Baki is satisfying. More impossible muscle groups the better.
  • The face of a demon!

Currently working my way through Steel Ball Run, it’s really well paced
  • I found Baki to be incredibly tedious. Surprised there's some love for it tbh.

Still going through the first season of JoJo and I can't believe
    Spoiler:
  • Frosty wrote:
    I found Baki to be incredibly tedious. Surprised there's some love for it tbh.

Spoiler:

It really do be like that in JoJo.

Did you catch the HxH article I wrote?
  • Frosty wrote:

Spoiler:

I loved the fighting in baki reminds me of streetfighter
  • Tempy wrote:
    Frosty wrote:

Spoiler:

It really do be like that in JoJo.

Did you catch the HxH article I wrote?

I have now. It was a good piece and I could have read something a lot longer. Agree with pretty much all of it and it was nice to see things I'd been feeling but unsure of how to express into words. Looking back Gon and his skewed morality and selfishness are super apparent the whole way through the show and it only gets worse as it goes on. On the surface he seems like your usual protag who'll do anything for his pals but that's not quite accurate. Like you say, he'll do anything to get stronger as long as he doesn't feel bad about it.

You touch on it briefly but what I enjoyed most about HxH was how it played with my expectations. I'm used to standard shonen where protagonist tends to fight his way up to the big bad, owing up along the way, to achieve their aims. In this, bar one or two arcs, that's not how it played out at all. I was constantly wrong footed waiting for the penny to drop and it never did. The Zoldyck arc and auction arc were examples of this as both end with a conversation rather than a fight.

Hopefully Gon leaves Killua out of things and he can just be the best big brother he clearly wants to be.
  • HxH was the good shit.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I will be interested to see what you make of the ending, and especially what you make of End of Evangelion.
    We finished the series last night, think we'll start the movie tonight.

Opinion in spoiler, just in case.
    Spoiler:

• I am glad you enjoyed it Frosty. I tried my best to get as much into it but I think around 1000 words got cut in the end. Some of that was waffle but I am sure I could have focussed more on expectations in the end. I think, weirdly the title heading misleads cos they told me to focus on the binary stuff and then titled it about re-inventing shounen? eh. Writitng is weird.

@nina 

I am glad you liked it. I like both EoE and the final two parts. They're sort of intersting when viewed side by side, and EoE definitely has some interpretations of the things that are going on. It is very much tied to Anno's experience of depression, and in truth the terrible way he ended up leaning on people to help him.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Frosty wrote:
    HxH was the good shit.

It's good. I think it tails off after the first 50 episodes.
    Hisoka's is a decent character.

He's essentially the image I keep in my head when I read a Brooks post.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!