Super Mario Super Thread
  • Gellar has a great little video about Galaxy...

Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Waggle on Galaxy was satisfying. That little hover jump you did to touch a launch star - it embued the game with kinetic feedback I found really satisfying. I loved using the pointer to pick up the gem bits as well - esp. during a mid section flight sequence - there was just something about it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Gellar has a great little video about Galaxy...

The little story book was quite sad actually.

The game really is a masterpiece - it renewed my love for Nintendo and gaming generally. That soundtrack too.
  • davyK wrote:
    Waggle on Galaxy was satisfying. That little hover jump you did to touch a launch star - it embued the game with kinetic feedback I found really satisfying. I loved using the pointer to pick up the gem bits as well - esp. during a mid section flight sequence - there was just something about it.

Apart from when you where the screw/spring thing and it wouldn’t waggle at the right time
    The Forum Herald™
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That doesn't stick in my mind I have to say. I'm sure there were times I was cursing the controls and my own hamfistedness but I don't have any memories that bespoil the experience. It is a damn, damn good game.

One of the few I maxed out - all 120 shines. I started the Luigi adventure but I was bloated - had had enough. Galaxy 2 still lies abandoned - I played until I was able to experience some Yoshi levels. I'll go back to it some day I'm sure.

The game could of course just use a classic controller - I wonder if it would feel just as enjoyable though. The one Wii game I played that waggle really shouldn't have been added to was DKC Returns as it's such a hardcore 2D platformer that requires more precision.
  • The waggle added nothing! Nothing i say! Don’t make reg come Back!
    The Forum Herald™
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. :)
  • So after a little time to digest, here's my thoughts:

Super Mario Bros G&W
    Tat. Cool tat granted, but still tat.
    PASS

Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit
    From Eye Toy to Kinect, I fell for a lot of the tatty fads 10+ years ago. I'm glad it exists and it does look cool, but I have zero interest now as I know after a week it'll be packed up and never touched again.
    PASS

Super Mario 3D All-Stars
    Bit disappointed 64 isn't a ground up remake like the games on the 2D All-Stars, and 16:9 at the very least would have been nice, but it's such a firm fav of mine that I don't mind. Interested to see what, if anything they tweak. If it was a stand alone release I'd probably pass.
    Galaxy is possibly the best ever 3D Mario but my biggest disappointment is the lack of the equally sublime Galaxy 2. Why???
    Despite being my least favourite 3D Mario, Sunshine is the pick of the three for me. Simply because I don't own it as I don't have a GameCube anymore.
    BUY

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
    I own 4 Wii U games, after this announcement that'll be going down to 3 and my quest to be Wii U'less gets a little closer.
    BUY

Super Mario All-Stars NSO
    Solid addition to the selection of SNES games online. Cool.

Super Mario Bros. 35
    Super Mario X Teris 99 from what I can tell, looks decent. Shame it's only available until 31st March.

Talking of which, the limited nature of 3D All-Stars is odd. Won't effect me, but odd regardless.

Overall I'm happy. If that direct had come out of the blue it would have generated more hype, but the leak took the shine off somewhat.

Still gutted at the lack of Galaxy 2. Bastards.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Mal0wner wrote:
    I've ordered 3D All Stars and both Mario Karts! I'll cancel it if I see any shit previews/reviews.

I see your reckless spending and I’ll raise you a game and watch too.
    2 Mario karts (1 for each kid).
    Physical 3D All stars
    Digital 3D all stars
    Game and watch. Tbf. This is the thing that’ll be worth the monies in the future.

I’ll also be wanting 3D world nearer the time and some of that merch looks sweet as too.

I thought whilst Reg was on a break I’d do the forum donkey work on Nintendo tat.

FUCKIN WHAT

• You don’t own a GameCube?

Surely you must own a wii

Or wait until wii u launches
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    You don’t own a GameCube?

Surely you must own a wii

Or wait until wii u launches

Sold my GameCube when I got a Wii. Prematurely sold the handful of GCN games I kept when Wind Waker HD came out thinking Nintendo would do the same with the other games I had.

Sold the Wii not long after I got the Wii U.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I'm probably in the minority but I would have liked the 64/Sunshine/Galaxy games to have been given updated graphics.  It won't stop me getting it but I'd like a Mario 64 that had graphics like Odyssey.

I'm thinking ahead to the Zelda thing that will probably arrive next year.  I'd love to get OoT redone with BotW's graphics.  Never going to happen, mind you but I think it'd be cool.
  • I would have liked to see a HD upgrade to 64 as well.
    The other two I would be less bothered about as they already look pretty good. They could be improved with just more grunt.
  • Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury I own 4 Wii U games, after this announcement that'll be going down to 3 and my quest to be Wii U'less gets a little closer. BUY

Bowser's Fury looks like it could be something quite substantial.  That's the hope anyway.  I wonder if it'll be a longer Champions Road type of package do counter complaints of the main game being too easy.  You can't tell much from the trailer but the environment shown looks more open than the standard 3DW courses.
  • That Super Luigi U was like a whole other game wasn’t it? Maybe it’s like that.

I only played through 3D world once, so I have no issues going back again.
  • Super Luigi U was same game but harder no? Still good to do but not a new game as such.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The idea of an SM64 HD remake is appealing but really the levels are pretty sparse - it would look very empty - 4:3 suits that too. A cleanup of the rendering which is what we will get here is enough for me. We got that with the Wii VC version. I'm 99.9% sure it was widescreen but it still suffered from coin pop in - I think that's the only thing I'd like to see fixed in a remake to be honest.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What to do...

9o8YNxE.jpg
  • I did notice a bit of pop up in what they showed of Sunshine.

If you look close enough there are parts where it looks it's age, but overall along with Galaxy I think being HD is good enough.

Should have done a bit of work with that pop up though.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Do we know if they are improving frame rates for 64 and Sunshine? e.g. 60fps?
  • davyK wrote:
    What to do...

9o8YNxE.jpg

Sell Sunshine and Galaxy.

I'm gonna get rid of Galaxy and 3D World, no need for them with this imo. Unless your a collector, which I know you are of N64 which is why I never said to sell 64 :-)

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Galaxy 2 got a really nice release on Wii..

hprLBOC.jpg
  • davyK wrote:
    What to do...

9o8YNxE.jpg

Tape them all together and you’ve got the 3D Allstars Collection
  • I didn’t realise the n64 box was the exact same size as the dvd boxes.

I guess it makes sense as games were probably subject to the same limitiations as DVDs when they were in the same shop as VHS tapes.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Galaxy and Galaxy 2 go for silly money here in Aus, so I'm never getting rid of those
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I need to get a switch so I can sell all my copies too...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I didn’t realise the n64 box was the exact same size as the dvd boxes. I guess it makes sense as games were probably subject to the same limitiations as DVDs when they were in the same shop as VHS tapes.

PAL & US N64 boxes are a bit smaller - that's the JP version in the picture.
  • While on holiday I missed my Switch Lite, so ordered a new one, though I'm worried I can't afford it.  Arrived yesterday, about 5 minutes before the Mario presentation started.

3D All-Stars pre-ordered, though I'm worried I can't afford it.  I'm toying with the idea of playing it in secret for 3 months, then giving it to the boy for Xmas.

x
  • Super Luigi U was same game but harder no? Still good to do but not a new game as such.

Yeah they're harder and all have a 100s limit, so the time part really comes into it. It was a more or less a game in itself and I think there might've been a separate physical release at some point.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Questor wrote:
    Galaxy and Galaxy 2 go for silly money here in Aus, so I'm never getting rid of those

They never seem to go down in price over here either.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!