Internet Speeds
  • Cosby wrote:
    Don't seem to notice the difference in speed when downloading games and such on the 360 though which is a bit annoying. I'm guessing it might be because the Xbox only connects to the 2ghz band though?

Dunno, even 2.4GHz N-band stuff should have a theoretical throughput of something like 300Mb/s.  It really is more likely that the source's ability to provide the file has more effect than how you shift it around your house when it gets there.

I've just had Virgin connected and I could cry with how good the connection is:

3090280301.png
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Apparently BT Infinity and Beyond is coming "Between December 2013 and May 2014". So we've got a date, well, half year window. Amazing to think that's the most accurate a company can be. I'd like to say I'll deliver sites sometime between December and May.
  • davyK wrote:
    My home connection with daughters and wifey (and their data demands) out - wifi connection from Macbook to Virgin wireless hub. I'm supposed to have a 20Mb service. 3090241777.png
    I thought everyone on the Virgin 20Mb moved to 30 as long as they had the newer modem/router.
  • 3091675329.png

Wireless, downstairs.  Will try the wired connection later.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Apparently BT Infinity and Beyond is coming "Between December 2013 and May 2014". So we've got a date, well, half year window. Amazing to think that's the most accurate a company can be. I'd like to say I'll deliver sites sometime between December and May.
    that's probably just the exchange too...they don't seem to tell anyone which local cabinets and when they'll be upgraded!

however, i've got it, so ner!
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/3092442078.png
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    3092506049.png
    Happy enough with this really, although I don't get anywhere near that wireless on my iPod, more like 10Mb/s.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    3091675329.png Wireless, downstairs.  Will try the wired connection later.

That is mental ping. Do you live on top of the server?
  • I've always assumed BT hate me, because I've complained loads over the years, and I'm still waiting for a working BT Sport pin code after they claimed I had three accounts. I take it 10ms good? Last time I did a wired speed test it destroyed those stats above, will do one when I get in.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    that's probably just the exchange too...they don't seem to tell anyone which local cabinets and when they'll be upgraded!

I've seen BT Broadband van at the cabinet on the end of the street. But they could have been there for anything. Do they do prep work on the cabinets before the exchange or is it always after?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    My home connection with daughters and wifey (and their data demands) out - wifi connection from Macbook to Virgin wireless hub. I'm supposed to have a 20Mb service. 3090241777.png
    I thought everyone on the Virgin 20Mb moved to 30 as long as they had the newer modem/router.

Not sure - thought I was told 20Mb - but as I'm used to getting overpriced, 2nd class services from UK companies in N.Ireland even though I am part of the UK (I am paying £24.95 a month for this by the way and I have been a customer for 15 years or so) it comes as a surprise.

btw there is frightful difference in performance on my plodding Vista PC upstairs - getting 6 or 7Mb down and 1Mb up - shocking. Can't imagine the location of the router being to blame for that....perhaps a combo of aging hardware and the fact that Vista is a bloated sack of shit.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    BT.

The Government need to tell Ofcom to tell BT they have a grace period of two years to provide fibre. Upon failure, they should be forced to offer their ducts and poles at trade prices to independents. Use it or lose it.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Have they (BT) managed to shut down the remaining homeowners who were trying to do their own FTTH rollouts in Oxfordshire and other places?

Also...

3102275678.png

edit: that'll drop like a lead weight when the students come in.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    beano wrote:
    Have they (BT) managed to shut down the remaining homeowners who were trying to do their own FTTH rollouts in Oxfordshire and other places?

Effectively, yes. B4RN made a go of it because they had enough fed-up locals to rally, and they dug their own ditches and bought their own cabling. The likes of Gigaclear would like to advertise in rural notspots to gauge demand, but BT's costs are too prohibitive for even the most lucrative of not-to-be-served exchanges.

And the kicker is that it's nearly impossible for indies to campaign, because the majority of rural users are either not bothered about FTTC/H, or - via BT's ongoing FUD tactics - are unaware of the scarcity of future hope for its arrival. I think a lot of people believe that if FTTC's so good, BT'll bring it to them.

If it's not available then it's obviously not in great demand, so it must be overrated.

incredible-hulk-angry-o.gif
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Government needs to rummage around for some balls and enforce a shit-or-bust policy.

Too many higher-ups in the corpo reach-around, but.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    It's a complete fuck up, FTTC is all BT are bringing. There was a firm/private enterprise looking to lay the majority of cables booms alongside disused rail tracks, to save on digging. I thought that was quite clever/sensible. I'm unsure how BT are pulling this off, has it got something to do with government money not getting allocated to the competition?
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Absolutely.

Local authorities are working with the one provider accredited for rolling out the technology, BT.

Fujitsu and Gigaclear (and others) wanted/want to provide GB FTTH. It's so frustrating for people like me who'd be willing to pay a grand for a connection, or £50 per month. The BDUK money was supposed to serve the final third - i.e. the areas beyond financial viability for would-be providers. BT now have the entire contract, and... they're targetting prime areas.

They've also launched BT Sport in t'midst of this, and yet there's no available breakdown of money-in, fibre-out.

Greater London, accepting orders:

154ccgi.png

Somerset:

2vi2hzb.png

UE == Under Evaluation = never

tumblr_mlnxkiyc6L1s594zyo1_400.gif
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Ah, DCMS. Once had great respect for that department but I don't expect them to administer jack , no more. A young stable, of Siths.
  • Got 4.8mbs at home yesterday, was a good day. At work it's in the 60s.

Luckily I've signed up for fibre optic which is finally available in my area.
  • oh jeez work has gone nuts, that upload is fucking mental

3102775111.png
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    beano wrote:
    Ah, DCMS. Once had great respect for that department but I don't expect them to administer jack , no more. A young stable, of Siths.

Same as the Government, they've become an isolated group of self-interested short-termers.

If I won the Lottery, I'd plough the majority of it into GB connections for as many in my region as possible. You'd have a long wait to make it back, but you'd enjoy a comfortable wage, and - so long as your ISP was always keenly-priced - you'd monopolise some areas due to the warm reception of your endeavour. You'd be something of a local hero to a minority around here; which'd be nice.

(B4RN customers will be loyal for the lifetime of GB connections. Which, in this country, will probably cover the rest of my working life.)

Atos; HS2; lax banking and tax-avoidance laws; five-year terms in office (make it three); myopic Internet infrastructure at a time when the financial thrust of our country comes from engaging online markets; continued Child Benefit for those on high incomes, alongside those with three-plus kids who don't work (can't remove it retroactively, just announce an incoming change with a one-year warning); NHS mismanagement under overbooked, underqualified idiots; the failure to hold a per-county or national referendum on the legalisation of drugs (albeit knee-jerk risky)...

Cameron, Osbourne and IDS; to the workhouses with the lot of 'em.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Piss off. That's my policy.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I think if I had to face this coalition government and have to put up with low grade internet I'd shit a brick. Today I have stable internet, wifi that works through walls and phone signal for the first time since nearly a week ago.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm only supposed to have 20Mb....perhaps Virgin have upgraded me? This is consistent since the last test i made only this time daughters are in the house.

3161439901.png
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    3161462244.png

Don't be jelly now.
  • Laptop over wifi, no idea how much / if a wired connection would improve it.
    3161604322.png
    Mobile via wi-fi
    674249807.png
    Mobile data signal
    674251011.png
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Escape wrote:

He's saying "I don't take sides".
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Did you work that out?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Random guess of randomness. He's not is he? I was hoping others would chip in with what they think he's saying, for the lols.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!