Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Wifey wants the V+ box back - moaning about the Tivo menus again this morning.......deal is done though. I can't believe there is a real issue - will have to get involved with manuals etc. Sigh.
    Tivo is brilliant, give it time. It should have come with a small quick start guide. That should be all you need.

That's what I'm thinking - V+ has been in the house a long time so it's just a case of familiarisation. There's a Tivo Tips guide with it - so will go through that later.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • WorKid wrote:
    I bought some new, allegedly faster homeplugs last night. I just hope they are compatible with the existing network. I think I will take Virgin up on their offer of a superhub2. I understand it does 2.4 and 5 ghz simultaneously?

Watch out for this - many older devices (few years or so) may not be compatible with 5GHz signal, but your hub won't know that, and will connect the device to whatever frequency it wants. Your device will look like it still has wifi, but you won't be able to actually load anything.

Only way around it is to use the different frequencies as different networks (separate SSIDs), and connect the old devices to the 2.4 and the newer devices to the 5.

My understanding on the home plug mixed network thing is that it runs as fast as the slowest plug in the network. So if you're only partially upgrading the home plug network, don't expect massive speed increases, unless my understanding is wrong.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    WorKid wrote:
    I bought some new, allegedly faster homeplugs last night. I just hope they are compatible with the existing network. I think I will take Virgin up on their offer of a superhub2. I understand it does 2.4 and 5 ghz simultaneously?
    Watch out for this - many older devices (few years or so) may not be compatible with 5GHz signal, but your hub won't know that, and will connect the device to whatever frequency it wants. Your device will look like it still has wifi, but you won't be able to actually load anything. Only way around it is to use the different frequencies as different networks (separate SSIDs), and connect the old devices to the 2.4 and the newer devices to the 5. My understanding on the home plug mixed network thing is that it runs as fast as the slowest plug in the network. So if you're only partially upgrading the home plug network, don't expect massive speed increases, unless my understanding is wrong.

Had this problem recently with my mums router.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My new SuperHub advertises 2 SSIDs - one 2.4 and one for 5.

My PC, wife's laptop and 360 only sees the 2.4GHz. My Apple laptop sees both. Daughter #1's iPhone 4S only sees 2.4 (I think) and daughter #2's iPhone 5 sees both.
  • Cheers funk. I wonder if the WiiU does 5 ghz. Off to the Internet! Hmm apparently not as that's what it uses to connect to the pad.

Edit: ta davy too. Happy with it?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Service was stuttery when it first got activated but within an hour it had settled down and is speedy on either SSID. Happy.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I once half-knew a high-up at BT. He had a lovely house and was paid around half a million back in the '90s. He was also, to the leisured perceptions of passing observers, crushingly unequipped for owt more than phoning around.

Had he been competent he'd have been out of a job, because such a contrast would have marked him as foreign for as long as he was surrounded by the blockades of his fellow idiots. A paper-pawing, finger-pointing pillock.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I've spied some vague news on fibre coming to Royston, due by October '15. I'm gonna coat-up now and head up the road to see if there's a new cab...

(Openreach contractors started roadworks in my street today. They've dug up an orange cable so far.)
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    There's a fibre! There's a fibre! There's a motherflipping fibre!

'Course, it might take months to become active, our village is at max capacity, and my line goes through some sort of weird underground relay (it's somehow shared with my neighbour).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!