Internet Speeds
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just got an email through, it appears I'm paying £51.50 for the big kahuna deal before line rental instead of £45.

It means I'm paying roughly the same as I was but with almost double the download speed, so while I'm quite happy with that, I'll still be contacting them and asking WTF?

That's what I'll be paying (£51.50) - with line rental on top of that I'm still £20 to the good re fixed costs. When wifey is in landline mode I'm paying over £100 a month to Virgin.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Why aren't we paying £45 though? Have I missed something?

Screenshot_2014-06-27-17-34-38_zpsqawml6ka.png
  • Line rental?

oh sorry davy mentioned that

dunno

virgin are lying bastards?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Maybe VAT?
  • Two tivo boxes?
    Bigger tivo box?
  • Whoosh. 162 download and 10 upload (wired). My wireless laptop gets 40 in pretty much the furthest point from the hub. It also spits out a 5ghz signal, but I don't think any of my gadgets support it. Do you reckon it would be worth turning that channel off?

Anyway, well pleased with the upgrade. Thanks for the heads up.
  • I called virgin. They offered me the bigger bb speed and one pound off per month.
  • Anyone get BB from Sky? Thinking of taking them up on the 2 years free offer (I already get Sports).
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I have. The speed is poor, but that may be just my area. I'm switch to virgin soon.
  • I love Virgin. Even better now it's a quid cheaper.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Syph79 wrote:
    Anyone get BB from Sky? Thinking of taking them up on the 2 years free offer (I already get Sports).

Very area dependent afaik.  Mine was terrible, couldn't even stream you tube very well.
  • Anyone with slow Sky speeds in London?
  • Fucking hell, some of you pay a hell of a lot. Is that sort of price normal if you've got TV with it?
  • That's so hilariously inconsistent, but thanks. Two houses next to each other near me. One with 9 mbps, the other 40. Both with BT.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Boxes arrived yesterday but Virgin screwed up and my new Super Hub MAC address is not registered on their network. Should be sorted later today.

I was also supposed to take delivery of the boxes on Saturday but it was the cowboy builder's sexual position - you sit in the house and nobody comes. Teens off school and in the house yesterday otherwise it would have been another week or a trip to Yodel's depot in the arsehole of nowhere.

Also had to feck about getting the TV volume control working with the Tivo remote but that's standard stuff - the help facility had a code search and it worked fine.

Harumph.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Fucking hell, some of you pay a hell of a lot. Is that sort of price normal if you've got TV with it?

I thought that and looked at BT+Sky deals and for all their claims and pomp they were no better plus I had a amateruish call centre experience so I stayed put with Virgin.

• davyK wrote:
    Boxes arrived yesterday but Virgin screwed up and my new Super Hub MAC address is not registered on their network. Should be sorted later today. I was also supposed to take delivery of the boxes on Saturday but it was the cowboy builder's sexual position - you sit in the house and nobody comes. Teens off school and in the house yesterday otherwise it would have been another week or a trip to Yodel's depot in the arsehole of nowhere. Also had to feck about getting the TV volume control working with the Tivo remote but that's standard stuff - the help facility had a code search and it worked fine. Harumph.
    I sat in all day last Monday waiting for Yodel to deliver a Super Hub that never arrived. Had to cancel the whole thing after that waste of time because I can't waste a day doing that again. Calling them cowboys gives them too much credit.
  • ISP's seem to be some of the worst offenders when it comes to customer service. Nothing beats BT. When ever I have a problem they seem to manage to make it doubly worse than it was and then take an eternity to fix the problem they've created. It's laughable. 

I took a day off two weeks ago to wait for an 'engineer' to fix my broadband. He turned up and - get this - he said 'if it's a broadband issue you've got I won't be able to do much as I'm a telephone line guy'. Bear in mind I phoned up and specifically requested a broadband engineer. This left him floundering around making phone calls to colleagues and huffing and puffing. 

He was at my house for two and a half hours. 

The problem? A dodgy cable going into the modem. One of those phone line cable jobbys. Did he have one in the van? Hell no! He's a phone line guy! His solution was to just reverse the cable which actually worked until about ten minutes after he left. I promptly went to my man box of odds and sods in the cupboard and dug an identical cable out and plugged that in. Works like a charm ever since.

It's just staggering. I lost a days pay for that.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Syph79 wrote:
    That's so hilariously inconsistent, but thanks. Two houses next to each other near me. One with 9 mbps, the other 40. Both with BT.

That's usually due to difference between std and Infinity connections.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Virgin broadband upgrade working - though speed test is showing 60-70Mb down and 10Mb up. I was told there is work in the area happening this month and I should see 150Mb then. It's twice the speed I had as it is now so happy enough as browsing is a bit more spritely (not that it was sluggish before). Will check again at end of month.

Wifey is moaning about the UI on the Tivo - but that is to be expected - she's not one for change.
  • I love my Tivo. Although the kids keep setting series links for stupid things.
    And giving thumbs down to everything I like. MoTD has three thumbs down.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Syph79 wrote:
    One with 9 mbps, the other 40. Both with BT.

ADSL2+ versus FTTC. One of my neighbours is rocking 0.6 Mb.

One of those phone line cable jobbys.

4-wire RJ11.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/06/map-570-uk-bt-exchanges-broadband-delivery-uk-plan.html

Never mind that, many (many) cabinets haven't and won't be connected, despite their exchanges now being fibre-enabled. EO line? Piss off. BT launched BT Sport with their allocation, leaving the majority of rural users exactly where they were before funding was given.

If you want something said, ask a man; if you want something fucked up, ask BT.

4G's the best we can hope for, but that would be from private enterprise.
  • I've gone with Sky fibre. I was paying BT £40 per month, but Sky are charging around £15. I have TERRIBLE service from BT, so even if Sky is awful, at least it's cheaper.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    4G's the best we can hope for, but that would be from private enterprise.

Belfast is getting 30-40Mb via 4G. We have people in work living in the sticks with close to dial up speeds trialling little MiFi boxes and they are getting 10-20Mb.

Can't say that will last once more people pile on - still - it may be an alternative to trad BB services.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Wifey wants the V+ box back - moaning about the Tivo menus again this morning.......deal is done though. I can't believe there is a real issue - will have to get involved with manuals etc. Sigh.

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    My wife hated sky menus at first after being indoctrinated by virgin. Now she prefers the sky menus over virgins (which her parents still have). It's all about familiarity.
  • davyK wrote:
    Wifey wants the V+ box back - moaning about the Tivo menus again this morning.......deal is done though. I can't believe there is a real issue - will have to get involved with manuals etc. Sigh.

Tivo is brilliant, give it time. It should have come with a small quick start guide. That should be all you need.
  • I bought some new, allegedly faster homeplugs last night. I just hope they are compatible with the existing network.

I think I will take Virgin up on their offer of a superhub2. I understand it does 2.4 and 5 ghz simultaneously?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!