The Witness - Jonathan Blow's Tracy Island Mashup
  • Tins 400 odd is still 200 short of the max amount.
  • Billy wrote:
    So not the 100 hours play time Jonathan is estimating for most play throughs. Is there a lot of extra stuff to do then outside of the main game?  I tend not to be interested in much of the fluff put in to make games longer.

I think there's likely a big difference between getting to the end, and doing everything there is to do. I imagine the 100 hours is to find every last bit.  I vaguely remember reading that there are over 600 puzzles, so my 395 is obviously far from everything - and they're the easy to find (and do) ones.

Also, I probably stayed up later than I care to admit to myself, so probably more on the 20 hour level than the 15.

For what it's worth, I think this is the first game in a very long time where I actually want to go back and play it again despite finishing - in order to find every last bit.  I've already found something new since restarting with my daughter...
  • I think the 60 hour figure was bandied around more freely than the number of people who would experience that playthrough, partly to offset worries of the 30 quid price for a line puzzle game.

From what I've seen there is so much care and attention to play in the game you definitely get something that easily clears on an artistic and structural basis a bar of half the price of fifa or cod compared to what those games and their ilk offer.
  • There's no doubt I'd get my money's worth from this, even if it's 6 hours worth of awesome that's still around the cost of two cinema tickets. I doubt I'd ever get to see everything in the game and it would probably take me way longer than most to do the most basic stuff. Just gotta grab a ps4 first.  Great to read that badgers are pleased with it.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • I still haven't seen everything in Braid. Something to do with stars? May just guide it some day.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Irrespective of the final length, from my point of view it's been well worth the cash.  It's a really satisfying, beautifully designed game.  Also my house is now literally littered with post-it notes with diagrams and tetronimoes scribbled all over them, so it's possible that I may have become slightly obsessed.

Now on 414 (+16) having found a whole area I missed previously.
    Spoiler:
  • This is absolutely wonderful. It's constantly growing on me. I won't be back in this thread.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Not reading anything in here (deliberately) - just got the game this morning. Just to let you know it's the perfect Vita remote play game --

CaC0Lb2WYAAPs4H.jpg
  • Lower chance of motion sickness too I'm guessing.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    All games should look like that.
  • From the sounds of it this'd be lovely for VR mooching about.
  • Most definitely. I think it might be the prettiest game I've played.
  • Hit my first wall earlier. Haven't got a Scooby doo what the plan is in
    Spoiler:
    Don't tell me the answer, just felt like venting.

I've moved onto another line of interest now though. I keep finding new things to investigate that may or may not be relevant.
  • Just beat. A weird end.

So I have completed 427 panels plus 16.

Not sure I fancy starting again or going back through the ending area.
  • Just beat. A weird end. So I have completed 427 panels plus 16. Not sure I fancy starting again or going back through the ending area.

Very spoilery, and definitely not to be clicked on by those who haven't finished it.
    Spoiler:
  • This game. It's like I'm Michael Corleone and the game is the mob business.

Secret at the end of the game, a reason to load up a save from just before the ending video/cutscene.
    Spoiler:
  • Also I really dislike any discussion about this game which refers to tetris pieces. It's a convenient shorthand but gnnn. Just read the phrase "a two piece tetronimo"
  • This game. It's like I'm Michael Corleone and the game is the mob business. Secret at the end of the game, a reason to load up a save from just before the ending video/cutscene.
    Spoiler:

Damn it, I'll have to check that tonight now.  Have you found the bit I spoilered above?

Was sat writing up a visit this morning and suddenly realised the solution to one of the puzzles I'd left.  I've also started hunting for the (+) puzzles, there are a ridiculous number once you start looking for them.
  • Yeah I did it straight after beating. It was super weird. Like really weird.
    Spoiler:

Some of the plus puzzles are really very neat. I think my favourites are ones which use
    Spoiler:
    and the ones which use you go really far from and need to be moving.
  • Yeah I did it straight after beating. It was super weird. Like really weird.
    Spoiler:
    Some of the plus puzzles are really very neat. I think my favourites are ones which use
    Spoiler:
    and the ones which use you go really far from and need to be moving.

Very, very weird, I'd agree.  

The plus puzzles are definitely pretty clever.  
    Spoiler:
  • I guess it's time I stopped checking this thread until I've got the game.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Damn it, I'll have to check that tonight now.  

I just have.
    Spoiler:
  • This is still making me motion sick. Had to stop after 30 minutes
  • I'm stuck early on, no idea which way to go and how the panels work. Did one randomly and don't know what it did. Did anther randomly too but it's linked to others that spaz out and you have to start again.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I'm stuck early on, no idea which way to go and how the panels work. Did one randomly and don't know what it did. Did anther randomly too but it's linked to others that spaz out and you have to start again.

You have to be taught the rules so pay attention when a new symbol is introduced. Also, some panels require revisiting after you're better acquainted with other parts of the island do keep exploring.

• I can feel my eyes darting around imaginary grids with black and white squares in real life now.

Fucking weird.

Also:

Played a whoooole bunch yesterday and made zero progress. The reason will be clear to anyone who gets to the bit but alas my challenge to be king of the mountain is currently stalling. goddamn you blow, my nemesis!
  • I appear to be running faster!

Edit: There's been an update which might explain it.
  • Also: Played a whoooole bunch yesterday and made zero progress. The reason will be clear to anyone who gets to the bit but alas my challenge to be king of the mountain is currently stalling. goddamn you blow, my nemesis!

I played a bit, and made some.  Sounds like I'm in roughly the same place as you.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!