The Witness - Jonathan Blow's Tracy Island Mashup
  • I like the lack of music...the ambient sounds of the island are a wonderfully immersive backdrop
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    I'm using the same technique but can't see it. I'm guessing each areas puzzles are contained and don't carry on into another?  

For the most part.  There are some places in the island where you find different puzzles from elsewhere joining the mix, but it's usually obvious when they do (by adding in new symbols etc).  Where are you stuck?

Meanwhile I'm genuinely irritated that I'd agreed to go out tonight as want to play this - there are a couple of areas I needed more knowledge for that I'm now ready to tackle...
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    I'm using the same technique but can't see it. I'm guessing each areas puzzles are contained and don't carry on into another?  

For the most part.  There are some places in the island where you find different puzzles from elsewhere joining the mix, but it's usually obvious when they do (by adding in new symbols etc).  Where are you stuck?

Meanwhile I'm genuinely irritated that I'd agreed to go out tonight as want to play this - there are a couple of areas I needed more knowledge for that I'm now ready to tackle...

Not really sure, but
    Spoiler:
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    For the most part.  There are some places in the island where you find different puzzles from elsewhere joining the mix, but it's usually obvious when they do (by adding in new symbols etc).  Where are you stuck? Meanwhile I'm genuinely irritated that I'd agreed to go out tonight as want to play this - there are a couple of areas I needed more knowledge for that I'm now ready to tackle...
    Not really sure, but
    Spoiler:

Think I know the bit you mean.
    Spoiler:
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    For the most part.  There are some places in the island where you find different puzzles from elsewhere joining the mix, but it's usually obvious when they do (by adding in new symbols etc).  Where are you stuck? Meanwhile I'm genuinely irritated that I'd agreed to go out tonight as want to play this - there are a couple of areas I needed more knowledge for that I'm now ready to tackle...
    Not really sure, but
    Spoiler:

Think I know the bit you mean.
    Spoiler:

I've done that one, it's one after with
    Spoiler:
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    I've done that one, it's one after with
    Spoiler:

A bit tricky without potentially spoiling a later puzzle in the sequence but, here's a not very spoilery, not terribly helpful answer...  (Followed by a much more spoilery one.)
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • I thought Braid had horrible music.

Get out.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Have to say, i never buy or play puzzle games (Tetris aside) but i'm really liking this. Its the sort of game that niggles at you when you're not 'playing'. So-much-so i've gotten into the habit of taking a photo of tile i'm 'stuck' on. That way i can just look at my phone and ponder solutions without having to turn the PS4 on every 5 minutes. Try it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Nice idea Curtis. Except those that require special relation to other objects. I've got a feeling I wonky just scratched the surface of this.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Of course. But there are a bunch of so-called 'tutorial tiles' that may delay progress. And rather than get stumped and frustrated in-game - take a pic away with you and come back later. Sleeping helps.
  • There's some beautiful clues lying around, so wandering is a big help.
  • In the deserted village part one of the later puzzles has a widescreen TV screen with three outputs (blue lines on black)

Any tips: spoiler is still vague.
    Spoiler:
  • Sorry, I've not actually done the village yet.

Was out last night, and therefore hadn't intended to play any of this.  Got in late, and still felt the need to have "a quick go".  Which resulted in spending 2 hours mucking about in...
    Spoiler:
    Also, has anyone managed to fully power up a monolith yet?
  • I hate this game. It made me play last nights and miss out on important sleep.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Ha ha.

Just discovered.
    Spoiler:

Made me smile.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Ha ha. Just discovered.
    Spoiler:
    Made me smile.

Yes - that got a big grin from me.  Particularly as I'd just been saying to my wife about 5 minutes earlier that we needed one...
  • Braid looked like a dog shit painting made by an adolescent poet. This is very beautiful indeed, such vibrant colours and a lovely world to walk around.

While I would love a noclip mode the puzzles are actually pretty lovely, too.

I love that they're contained in the panels. I didn't think I would but it means there's no moving objects around or knowing what to do but not quite doing it properly. So far, at least.

4010c4d867fc5321b1cb5114e08a2fb4.jpg
  • tin_robot wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    Ha ha. Just discovered.
    Spoiler:
    Made me smile.

Yes - that got a big grin from me.  Particularly as I'd just been saying to my wife about 5 minutes earlier that we needed one...

The fast travel option is cool.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    Ha ha. Just discovered.
    Spoiler:
    Made me smile.
    The fast travel option is cool.
    Spoiler:
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @Trippy
    Spoiler:
  • The puzzles in panels format looked a bit shit to me at first, perhaps even lazy. But the more i think about it, the more sense it makes. One frustrating thing about Talos, for example, was that when you made a mistake you had to redo the whole level, which sometimes would take an extra 10 or 15 minutes. I imagine panel puzzles really reduce the amount of time spent of repetition.
  • Ha! The number of times you'll exit and go back from a left corner...

I think it's an intuitive vehicle for more interesting twists.

Without wanting to spoil what's in the game the concept of a line puzzle is used in two principle ways One as a canvas to imprint environmental puzzles and the other as puzzles which relate to the line itself. So the concept needs to be simple enough to allow both.

This I think is a reason why people aren't complaining it's a game that could and should have been a puzzle book.
  • I spent far too long just looking at clouds last night.
  • I trust Jon Braid to put in all sorts of meta nonsense in there to link it all up. I have been just looking around trying to tie the stuff lying around to something bigger.

And staring at clouds.
  • n0face wrote:
    I spent far too long just looking at clouds last night.

Yeah, I do this kinda thing. Probably why we're hyped for vr.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Successfully holding fire on this, I've impressed myself with a bit of control.

Odds on a PS+ appearance?
  • Nah, doubt it for a while.

It's great sparks. It's got that " just one more " and then bed but your playing for a fair while longer.
  • Just went to download this on Xbox, when the fuck did this become a Ps4 only thing, ffs Jonathan!
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • While I'm at it what the fuck happened to the Xbox dashboard in the last update.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!