The Witness - Jonathan Blow's Tracy Island Mashup
  • I bet they spent months getting the correct solved puzzle sound.

• Okay so it works fine on my piece of ass laptop. On it tomorrow.
    We talkin piece of ass as in integrated graphics?
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Well it's got it's hooks in, I'm already itching to go home and play.
  • I'll be waiting for iOS version
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Okay so it works fine on my piece of ass laptop. On it tomorrow.

i5-3337u @ 1.8ghz (4core)
    8gb Ram
    Intel HD 4000

Had to make some custom settings for it (laptop really struggles with shadows) but its running at 30fps on low. Still looks very pretty and 60fps doesn't feel essential to the game.
  • Okay so it works fine on my piece of ass laptop. On it tomorrow.
    i5-3337u @ 1.8ghz (4core) 8gb Ram Intel HD 4000 Had to make some custom settings for it (laptop really struggles with shadows) but its running at 30fps on low. Still looks very pretty and 60fps doesn't feel essential to the game.
    hmmm I might try it. I have a hd520,8gb ram and a 2 core i5(skylake). Not an ass laptop imo!
  • I stole, I liked, I will buy.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Been playing this at a mate's. Very lovely, very chill. 

Got to the point where boredom and frustration are fairly equal. 
    That's enough maze puzzles for me...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    This is a cracking game but I'm already completely stuck yay.
  • Played a little bit more this afternoon (home early courtesy of vomiting children).  Still not explored the whole island yet, but have learnt a few more tricks and worked out a few of the things that eluded me yesterday.  It's still managing to tread the line between frustration and the joy of success, though some puzzles are most definitely more satisfying than others.

Things that drove me nuts but are now sussed:
    Spoiler:
    Things I'm working on...
    Spoiler:
    Also - my wife can't watch me playing this without wanting to throw up - if you're one of those people prone to motion sickness when playing: beware.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Heard of quite a few people getting motion sickness from this, odd, wonder what the difference is that's causing it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yo tin, I'm stuck at a bit you've done:
    Spoiler:
  • Spoiler:
  • Yo tin, I'm stuck at a bit you've done:
    Spoiler:

What no face said 
    Spoiler:
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Cheers both of you.

That's about 5 hours played with a yarr version, love what I've put into it so gonna get it on PS4 once the price drops a little. Cracking game tbh.
  • Vastik wrote:
    Heard of quite a few people getting motion sickness from this, odd, wonder what the difference is that's causing it.

Yep, I'm one of them. I'm quite susceptible to motion sickness. Not sure ehat it is about this though. It's usually games that move/turn fast and I have to switch sensitivity down a lot in settings.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Vastik wrote:
    Yep, I'm one of them. I'm quite susceptible to motion sickness. Not sure ehat it is about this though. It's usually games that move/turn fast and I have to switch sensitivity down a lot in settings.

My guess it's the lack of a cursor/dot/pointer/HUD/whatever, meaning there's no fixed reference point.  (Would explain why it seems to be worse when watching someone else play too - as you don't know what movement they're about to make.)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The only game ever to give me motion sickness was that Perfect Dark HD effort on the 360, the original N64 version.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Interesting tidbit of DS trivia for you all there, you're very welcome.
  • Ive followed suit and obtained a naughty version for the laptop(runs fine thankfully). Its fucking compulsive. On my first sitting I've done probably 40 or 50 puzzles. Only thing making me put the game down is the time.(Work tomorrow) The setting is wonderful. Sense of isolation right from the off. Looks beautiful also and digging the lack of soundtrack. Part of me is disappointed that this setting is used just for the line puzzles.  Ill probably pick this up on ps4 when the price drops.

A thing I thought was pretty cool:
    Spoiler:
  • Reminds me of Metroid, but instead of acquiring new weapons to unlock new areas you have to collect head-slapping realisations.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Vastik wrote:
    I've had it on a few games in the past. But it generally stops by about the 3rd session, as I get used to the movement in the game.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    This is such a bitch of a game to talk about as you really don't want to spoil it for anyone, but had a second play last night, probably only a couple hours in total, and that sense of smug satisfaction when you look at one of the boards and just "get it" is huge. And the Metroid reference definitely feels apt.

It could've been because I was tired but I got to a puzzle last night that I just didn't get the logic of. Because of the metroidvania feeling I just walked away and looked for another puzzle. Because I've avoided all spoilers I'm going to assume I can do this until I get stuck on several puzzles and have to hunker down and power through the tricksy ones.

Definitely not a game I would ever replay, but definitely a game that would benefit from DLC.

• The only add on content that would be in the spirit of the game would be a whole new location.

This game is fucking great.
  • I think in a week or so I'll create a thread which will be for completers.
  • Yeah I'm with everyone regarding leaving a puzzle and then coming back to it. Did it last night with two puzzles and sussed them and wondered why I hadn't got them.

Now stuck on one again, the sort that when solved the power goes to the next puzzle. I'm using the same technique but can't see it. I'm guessing each areas puzzles are contained and don't carry on into another?

Wish it had music though, especially considering how good Braids music was.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • I really want to get this but my girlfriend's comp is not quite meeting the minimum requirements. It's got more than enough speed and memory, but sadly an Intel 3000 graphics card where the minimum requirements list an Intel 4000. 

Had anyone had any luck getting it to work sufficiently on a similar setup?
  • I thought Braid had horrible music.
  • This has basically none

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!