No Man's Sky
  • AJ wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    Is it multiplayer yet?
    Yes.

Hmm.  Vaguely interested, depending on how that works.  Could be fun to go exploring if it was easy enough to meet up with people.
  • This is half price on steam at the moment, Im bloody tempted
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    AJ wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    Is it multiplayer yet?
    Yes.
    Hmm.  Vaguely interested, depending on how that works.  Could be fun to go exploring if it was easy enough to meet up with people.

You'd assume it has to be, considering the size of the thing.
  • Never assume.  It makes an ass out of u.
  • Internet says you can join your friend's game.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Does it mention that you won’t enter on the opposite side of the galaxy?
  • Come to think of it, no.
  • When you do meet each other, you find out that your face is a sad limp penis, and the reason for no multiplayer becomes clear.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Does it mention that you won’t enter on the opposite side of the galaxy?

"If this happens, you can find your friend at the end of a wormhole" said Shaun.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I was up until the wee hours last night with this. The shift in perspective to 3rd person really does give the feeling you're playing a new game. Which of course it's not. But the refinements to the tutorial, changes to planet topography and the extra sharpness brought in by the graphical overhaul make things seem oh so fresh. Even the new stuff, like the need to refine mined materials to make objects doesn't feel like extra busy work, just adds some pleasing complexity.

I usually much prefer to play in first person when it comes to open world titles, but this new mode, with the ability to see your avatar, makes you feel even more the lone spaceman lost among the stars.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I like the third person cam, but it adds an inertia/lag to your movement and can make picking things up/opening boxes a fiddly chore. I love the melee boost jetpack pose though.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I too bought this off the half price deal. Do you always start on a toxic planet? I was mining a rock where i started and some pissed off drone killed me after my mining laser ran out of juice shooting it.
  • Sounds like it's still a bit of a mixed bag...

I'll defo get this at some point, and it's admirable that they're still spending so much time supporting and developing it, but from my point of view, the core gameplay loop of endless crafting still grates somewhat.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yup, it sucks. Luckily, you can turn it off and just enjoy the creative and exploratory aspects.
  • I have no doubt that the endless loop will once again form a noose that will kill the game for me once more at some point.   But after I re-installed it, I noticed I had clocked up 56 hours on my initial playthroughs, and that was during the age when I wished there was more to the game....

But the updates have now provided purpose for the grind - I wanna save up for that big old monster truck and recreate that bit in Moon where Sam Rockwell endlessly mines lunar minerals! 

While all these free updates are laudable, they've obviously got one beady alien eye on the Xbox sales - let's face it, they're getting the 'finished' version of the game.
  • I bought it on XB1 and it's lovely.  They've done a very good job that said core gameplay loop doesn't fee to grind, and there's always a bit of fun exploring to do.  The real sense that the planets are real is great, and just exploring and seeing what's around the next corner is remarkable.

My base is 4 walls and a roof so far, but there's a real sense of place, a sense of scale, and a sense of wonder about it.  It's like a technicolour Elite Dangerous.  I love it.
  • I still remember the moments of goosebumps from the first few liftoffs - glorious stuff for a sci-fi nerd like me.
  • djchump wrote:
    I still remember the moments of goosebumps from the first few liftoffs - glorious stuff for a sci-fi nerd like me.

Ditto, it gets that stuff even better than Elite did.  Launch, and then look around; you can go ANYWHERE in a literal galaxy, and just see what you find there.  That's an achievement.
  • Third person is the game changer for me. It provides a much better sense of place of yourself and your ship within the universe. They should have included it from day one.
    Gamertag, PSN, NNID: mikemsp            3DS code: 3668 - 8117 - 9395

Currently playing: Bone
  • Is it on Switch yet?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • How about now?
  • Hah!!! I was slagged off for complaining about the lack of sense of scale in the OG game!!
    Vindicated!!!!!!!!! *Flexes*

I had a 5 minute blast on the new version last night. I was on a space station and man it looks waaaaay better. Can't wait to see what it's like on a planet
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    How are you vindicated by the opinion of someone playing the game for the first time?

I'll be interested in what you make of the scale in this update, as barring some stuff like increased draw distance it's still the same game underneath. The planets are still planet sized, moons moon sized etc. so there's a pretty good chance a new starter like Elm would have been as impressed by the sense of scale as almost everyone else was at launch.
  • djchump wrote:
    I still remember the moments of goosebumps from the first few liftoffs - glorious stuff for a sci-fi nerd like me.
    This. For all it felt like an Amiga game, it did some things better than any game ever before.

I'd quite like to have a dabble again but I fear I traded in my copy (something I never do).
  • Fucks sake, I'm going back in aren't I?
  • If this had a sweet character creation uh suite I'd probably give this a chance now.
  • But it has!  You now get to play as a Gek, an Anomaly or a robot looking guy.

Betcha Brooks opts to play as an 'Anomaly'
  • Does that look like a cock and balls?
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!