No Man's Sky
  • The chances of this thing not mortally withering under the nuclear fumes of videogames punditry were so low on launch I'm feeling kind of compelled to see how it got its shit together. Plus I need something to actually do with my expensive and powerful PC these days because MHW Iceborn's not out yet.
  • No Man's Sky is absolutely worth checking out. It's actually a lot of fun and there's few, if any, games like it out there. Closest is Elite, I suppose, but this has far more weird going on.
  • I've got creative and normal playthroughs on the go on PS4 - if anyone wants to join up in MP once this launches, I'm up for that. I've been trying to transfer loads of materials and crafted gear to my freighter in case Sean decides to kill all the bases again with this update.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Looking good.

And my word, that soundtrack still amazes.

I still listen to it on the reg. Never gets old.
  • Pissed around with it over weekend. Honestly, they've managed to wed Minecraft and Elite really pretty successfully, and that brief is at least technically ambitious. They've managed to make actual traversal mechanically non-trivial in a way that's quite satisfying.
    But it's always going to miss content, and I don't mean rare loot. It's the fundamental challenge of proposing a vast possibility space and then there're like, only 3/4 sets of mix-n-match races and construction assets to ever encounter and every system features exactly the same infrastructure and presentation of settlements and resources and. 
    I guess the fiction/lore/whatever is written is such a way to constrain expectations here but I can't shake the feeling of a pretty unremarkable trade empire up in this Euclid place. Been spoiled by Banks books and more.
  • Patch is up for beyond on ps4.
    11gb
  • Oof, will need to clear out some space.
  • Cup of tea and ciggie done,
    I'm going in.
  • Ive it set downloading.....workin from home so gonna give it s a quick whirl shortly!
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • space-cowboy.jpg
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Uncannily accurate :D

EDIT VR FIRST IMPRESSIONS
    Ooooof not great first impressions I have to say. Its super low resolution. Looking down the landing bay of a station and the end of the bay is horribly low res. Looking at the screen of the ps4 on the tv would confirm that, its showing the bottom left corner only.
    The controls are odd too. In smooth movement you can go forward etc but it doesnt follow your head. Seems like you have to rotate the view manually with button presses and then its like 90 degree turns.Not impressed initially.

Im playing on a PS4 Pro btw.
    Maybe there are some options I need to tweak. Will try later.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Will be very interested to hear impressions of the VR mode.
    Get schwifty.
  • I cannot fathom the VR being particularly pleasant beyond the ship's cockpit, where you expect to be physically static.
  • So the controls are a bit weird at first.

With move controllers you reach to your back with right move and pull trigger to get your multi-tool.
    You use left hand to head to use visor for scanning.

Smooth movement needs to be set in options instead of teleporting.
    Same with turning etc.

Flying around is amazingly good.
    Being the same size as npcs is great.
    Some of the creatures look low res but are mental to look at how large they are especially vertically.

I'm enjoying it but need a break for a while.
    Il be back to try it with pad later.
  • digi wrote:
    So the controls are a bit weird at first. With move controllers you reach to your back with right move and pull trigger to get your multi-tool. You use left hand to head to use visor for scanning. Smooth movement needs to be set in options instead of teleporting. Same with turning etc. Flying around is amazingly good. Being the same size as npcs is great. Some of the creatures look low res but are mental to look at how large they are especially vertically. I'm enjoying it but need a break for a while. Il be back to try it with pad later.
    Did you work out how to turn in smaller increments than 90 degrees? Even with smooth movement enabled it just smoothly turns in that arc.
  • digi wrote:
    So the controls are a bit weird at first. With move controllers you reach to your back with right move and pull trigger to get your multi-tool. You use left hand to head to use visor for scanning. Smooth movement needs to be set in options instead of teleporting. Same with turning etc. Flying around is amazingly good. Being the same size as npcs is great. Some of the creatures look low res but are mental to look at how large they are especially vertically. I'm enjoying it but need a break for a while. Il be back to try it with pad later.
    Did you work out how to turn in smaller increments than 90 degrees? Even with smooth movement enabled it just smoothly turns in that arc.

No I couldn't work out how to step backwards either so had to do a small circle away.

Was enjoying watching day turn to night and all the various wildlife running around as freighters etc passed over head.
    Was rather cool and immersive.
  • Nice....I noticed you can use the joypad to move also. Cant wait to give it a whirl later
  • Ugh. Avoid the nexus, lots of crashes in there...
  • Soooooo initial reaction is massive disappointment with this.
    Now Im sure some of my problems I can sort out with tweaking the control scheme(eg the in ship controls are SUPER sensitive) and educating myself on it (only last night on an ObsidianAnt video I saw how to set the direction you teleport to).

First the scale. I've been rather vocal on the scale of the game not being right. I thought VR would help and to be fair it does. On certain things. NPCS,animal,plants,caves and walking around a planet in general is pretty great. But I cant say the same for space stations/space itself. After leaving a space station and looking back at it, it seems like football sized object, I could reach out and pick up. Same for the planets. No proper sense of scale at all.

Being in the cockpit is cool, but there are weapon names on some screens and the resolution is so bad I can hardly read them. (Im playing on a Pro btw) This is less noticeable on planets etc where that lack of detail doesnt jump out as much.
  • In not-VR land I noticed the UI, naming and QoL tweaks. And not-so-QoL tweaks like base stuff suddenly needing an entire power generation system to turn on.
    When it settles down, might try some of the mods I guess.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Ninja’s post has made me very happy. I really didn’t want to buy a VR headset just for this game.
    Get schwifty.
  • Ha, is vr supported on PC? Might be better there
  • To me this update just seems to have added more busy work for base builders (why not just add the logic elements rather than bolt them onto this whole power generator business?), but the nexus looks like it'll be a major change fir the best once it's patched to stop the servers crashing. As an explorer, I'm looking forward to trying out VR just for the extra immersion, but I've yet to see biome improvement.
  • The biome variety or lack of it really kicks this whole show in the crotch. Not surprised people have been trying to mod in their own interpretations, this thing is a platform screaming for all the assets ever.
  • Biomes get more better and more varied as you get closer to the centre of the universe.
  • digi wrote:
    Biomes get more better and more varied as you get closer to the centre of the universe.
    Aaaaahhh interesting.
  • Well I know before Beyond there was Exotic planets that you could visit with all kinds of weird shit. But I'm a bit disappointed that varied biomes are not available from the off. If there's one thing that's preventing me from going back to this is the thought of visiting all the those samey ice/fire/toxic level planets over and over again.

The QoL improvements do seem significant though and I love that you can now find wandering alien NPC's actually on the planet surface.

Might return to Space this weekend after all.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • They really should've upped the number of player/NPC bodypart variations or got wacky with sliders. It's 2019 ffs let me make mutants like in Dork Souls.
  • August 2016.
    Hello Games: Here, have 18 quintillion planets to explore.
    Gamers: There’s not enough content.

August 2019
    Hello Games: Here, have all the things that were nothing to do with our original concept, but you said you wanted anyway.
    Gamers: There’s still not enough content.
  • Oi. We're not being entitled little millennials. Okay there are 18 quintillion planets, but there are only about 10 skins plus palette swaps between them...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!