No Man's Sky

• Well, it's taken them over 4 years but they finally did it. 

WE GOT GIANT SPACE SANDWORMS LADS!!!
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Will drop into this over the weekend - I'm glad they've announced that bases will remain as I've just spent about 6 hours building a small city... I don't usually do this prior to an update as I've been burned by universe resets before.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Anyone still playing this? Never played it but the Desolation update that adds abandoned space freighters to explore sounds up my alley.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I tried to on PS5, but they borked the HDR and didn't go back.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Didn't they fix the HDR quite quickly?

Re: updates, they re-released the boxed game as No Man's Sky Beyond on PS4 around the same time they did the Xbox port - so part of the reason for the free updates was to generate revenue by resetting the Metacritic scores for the new versions of the game and get sales that way.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I tried it twice and they hadn’t but believe they might have after that but it put me off and I couldn’t be arsed to go back again.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Anyone still playing this? Never played it but the Desolation update that adds abandoned space freighters to explore sounds up my alley.

I was a tad disappointed to find that the Space Hulks were very much end game content and couldn't be readily accessed by new players on account of the fact that it costs 1M space credits to reveal their coordinates :(

Great game though; people like to draw parallels between this and whether Cyberpunk, after a legion of updates, could also be similarly redeemed.  Point is though, NMS wasn't fundamentally broken upon release, it just lacked all the promised content. Which they subsequently patched in, over a series of years, with lots of canny themed updates, making it into the very decent  game it is today. Doubt we be saying the same about Cyberpunk on PS4 in a few years time.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • PS4 will be landfill by then.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • The Space Hulks are a nice change and are worth doing but having done one, I'd say it's a noveltg rather than a new Dead Space.
    1m credits actually isn't that bad - I made a beeline for the hyperdrive upgrades and built an activated Indium mine on a nice hostile planet. It was a few hours of grind to unlock everything but it basically means unlimited credits.

I think I'd play this a bit more if the VR mode didn't make me feel sick.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Had a go at this the other day as it seemed a bit more accessible than Elite.  It's quite absorbing. 

I'm at a stage where I barely really know how things work but also have somehow managed to find myself in possession of a bulk freighter that some robot dude gave me.

I'm just refuelling my ship and picking a system at random to see what's there. Dunno how much progress I'm making but I'm enjoying finding stuff.
  • And this is getting an update.

https://www.nomanssky.com/expeditions-update/?cli_action=1617200604.738

Seems to require a fresh start and even though I'm only a few days in, I'm not sure that's something I'd want to be doing. There's a fair bit of progress that I'd miss, I think.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Matt_82 wrote:
    And this is getting an update. https://www.nomanssky.com/expeditions-update/?cli_action=1617200604.738 Seems to require a fresh start and even though I'm only a few days in, I'm not sure that's something I'd want to be doing. There's a fair bit of progress that I'd miss, I think.

I'm about a millionty hours into the 17th start on PS5 after cracking along on PS4 and PC beforehand and that list of changes means I'll be going for yet another new start. That's one hell of a barrage of upgrades and QoL and... everything changes in that ol' list there Matt.

You can speed run through a lot of the early stuff once you've had that idea of what's going on.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • isanbard wrote:
    Matt_82 wrote:
    And this is getting an update. https://www.nomanssky.com/expeditions-update/?cli_action=1617200604.738 Seems to require a fresh start and even though I'm only a few days in, I'm not sure that's something I'd want to be doing. There's a fair bit of progress that I'd miss, I think.
    I'm about a millionty hours into the 17th start on PS5 after cracking along on PS4 and PC beforehand and that list of changes means I'll be going for yet another new start. That's one hell of a barrage of upgrades and QoL and... everything changes in that ol' list there Matt. You can speed run through a lot of the early stuff once you've had that idea of what's going on.

Aye tbh the more I think, the more I realise that I've done fuck all Haha!
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It sounds like the new mode is like a separate thing with no tutorials and a limited time to do the extra stuff in - kinda seems like something to play alongside your existing normal save instead of having to bin it off.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Uuugh I really wanna play this again. But my save file is caught in the nethers somewhere between ps4/ps5. Not sure I have the grit to start anew.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • No Man's Sky has the finest redemption arc of any game ever.
  • Yeah they did good.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    So had a quick punt at the new mode. 

It's a big ol' multiplayer experience it seems which I hadn't quite picked up on. You drop into a world that has other people on it.. I waved at someone. They didn't wave back...  and unfortunately MP generally still seems to mean for No mans sky that often it all gets a fair bit buggy on launch. 
    I need to refine myself some carbon for example to fix my ship and get the launchers fired up.. but the refiner I spent my resources on simply pinks out of existence within seconds, eating all the resources in it. 

I'll come back tomorrow then eh?
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • I've been enjoying this.  Not entirely sure that it has legs with me as clearly there is a lot to do but each thing is often a shallow experience.  Eg finding crashed freighters is just a digging exercise.  Still, despite that being kicked to the dashboard quite regularly, I'm enjoying it.

Had a pretty great moment on a seemingly wonderful planet.  It was so great that I was considering dumping my original base and moving there.  There was no toxic conditions and no storms.  The animals were cool and the whole place just looked awesome.  I probably spent an hour or so there, checking out various markers etc.  I was down at a beach, wondering if I should set up shop there, so I could also expand into the water in the future.

Until I got the predator marker flash up but couldn't see anything.  I could see some movement in the distance but no animal.  Then I realised that it was underground and the movement was just rocks getting kicked up.  And it wasn't in the distance.  I couldn't scan it or shoot it because it was underground.  And it wasn't an 'it'.  It was a 'they'.  And they were swarming me.  Now up until this point, the game had been pretty easy.  I was yet to lose some much as a health point and at most, I'd lost a tiny part of my shield.  So I was more curious than scared of these bouncing rocks.  Within seconds my shield is gone and I'm losing health.  My weapons are useless because there's nothing to shoot at.  I run away until I'm tired.  I fly away until I run out of juice.  Then run again.  They're everywhere by this point.  I could barley see what was going on because of the flying rocks and the screen going red.  I make it to my ship with seconds to spare.  They try to get in but are harmless now.  Fucking hell.  Like an actual horror film.  The whole planet was tainted. They could be anywhere.

Not all the planets are quite as exciting.  But every now and then to find something that really makes the game soar.

bpI1NI3.png

dGOM0De.png

GHqpS9H.png

uTFskUS.png

oPutPEb.png
  • The problem with this was always that you reached a knowledge of the limitations of the biome/structure generation programming fairly quickly. There isn't a replacement for proper authored level design, but at least they've made a real effort to slap some... things over the top.
  • Yeah it gets to a point where you've seen enough of the permutations in scenery/terrain that nothing much really surprises any more. It's interesting how a game with so much stuff can feel so incredibly empty. It's a neat approach to creating a game world but ultimately the busywork feels pretty pointless for me.
  • The problem I had with NMS was the throwaway nature of each planet. It feels too much like each planet is a new, randomly made level to grind through and never be seen again. To their credit they've added much but it still feels a tad shallow, like a clever trick repeated again and again. 

ED has its problems but it's not afraid to be what it is. It can be jaw-droppingly beautiful and boring as fuck, but it has a sense of scale that NMS doesn't quite manage to convey. If ED is 2001 then NMS is...Wall-E? Maybe not the best analogy and tbf NMS isn't really trying to be a game about space and more a game about worlds, but it seems like a lot of things done fairly well without being amazing at anything. I think Subnautica and Minecraft are better at doing what NMS is trying to do.

Having said that NMS should, by this point, be a complete mess and it isn't. For all the stuff they've added they've managed to pull it off fairly coherently and it is a far better game now than it was. It's actually pretty great at this point and it's trying so hard it's difficult not to love it a bit. For all the borrowing it does from other games it somehow manages to feel unique and I can see why some people fall for it completely, but it's not hard to see past the gimmicks if you look close enough.
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    But every now and then to find something that really makes the game soar.

I urge you to give ED a try. Boring and beauty go hand in hand with ED, and the further out you travel the more beauty you will find, but when you do it can be spectacular. The sense of being alone in ED is its best and worst feature but with only 0.04% of the worlds discovered (I thought it was 5% for some reason) the sense that you're going where nobody has seen before is much stronger than in NMS, and the scale far grander.

Worlds feel genuinely ancient, and landing on an unexplored one is about as close to genuine space travel as you'll get. It's hard to put a finger on how it manages to convey this so well but the sound design probably has a lot to do with it. And the visuals of course.

nlvd8a527ll31.jpg

But if you just want to be a tourist and visit the sights others have discovered then that's great too.

• Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Is Elite Dangerous on consoles?
    Get schwifty.
  • Yes.
  • @SpaceGazelle I agree about ED. It just feels like proper space, not that Id know but its pretty incredible. Its the scale and distance that can be just awe inspiring.

So I started a new game on PS5, Ive given up on my PS4 save. 
    Hello Games have really improved the start of the game I think and its looking great. They have drastically improved the night sky view from planets now, thank fuck. But playing it, Ive just a nagging feeling that Im wasting my time. Running around scanning rocks and mining for stuff. Its boring. Yet I can easily spend 3 hours doing just that. But I feel dirty about it. All that time spent with not a lot to show for it. I think the point of the game for me is finding that perfect planet. There are moments where it looks amazing and it all pulls together into a perfect sci fi book cover shot. But there isnt anything more to it. Im really tempted to just leave it at this stage.

Oh the loading times are shit on ps5 too. Really hope they address that soon.
  • @SpaceGazelle I agree about ED. It just feels like proper space, not that Id know but its pretty incredible. Its the scale and distance that can be just awe inspiring.

If you have a beefy PC it can be stunning in VR but it needs real grunt to be able to play it at a sharp resolution with SS dialled up. When you're out in an SRV on a planet surface it's very easy to forget it's not real, to the point I once got the buggy stuck in a hole and spent an embarrassing few seconds genuinely concerned how I would get back to the ship.
    If you have a beefy PC it can be stunning in VR but it needs real grunt to be able to play it at a sharp resolution with SS dialled up. When you're out in an SRV on a planet surface it's very easy to forget it's not real, to the point I once got the buggy stuck in a hole and spent an embarrassing few seconds genuinely concerned how I would get back to the ship.
    Sounds fantastic. My PC is fine but Ive no VR. I do have PSVR though but no VR support on console :(

Oh I booted up NMS at lunch and lo there was an update waiting. The load time to get into game now is CONSIDERABLY faster. Thank fuck.
  • I urge you to give ED a try.

I want to try ED but I really don't know if I can be bothered with other gamers.  In NMS, I can set it so that if I meet another player, we can't shoot/damage each other and I can continue on my merry way.  That's not how ED works, best as I can tell.  

Gamers are trash.  I'm at a stage in life where if something is irritating me, I completely cut it out.  I don't want to be dodging assholes who exist to grief other players.  I just don't have time for that shit, anymore.
  • Don't play it on open them. It's optional.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!