GOTG -PS360 gen- RESULTS AND AWARDS!!! (Mario Galaxy wins)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That seems fair.
  • No that's stupid because SMG2 is better ... although it does make the list look more diverse which is good.
  • Does that mean RDR featured in fewer people's top tens than SMG2?
  • No, same number of votes I believe.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It's in Adkm, just deal with it.

;)
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Not a bad list that. 

I didn't vote, kept meaning to...but didn't get round to it. 

But Mario Galaxy or 2 would have been top for me, easily.
  • Vote now!!! I'm keeping results and may do an update post at some point.
  • My wife votes for The Sims 2, Peggle and Banjo Kazooie which I explained wasn't eligible but there's just no talking to her sometimes.
  • Mine votes for Peggle, Zack & Wiki, Bejeweled, Heavy Rain and the one with Ellen Page in that isn't the zombie one.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Redemption vid gets an [8].
    I choose to allow this comment to justify the time and expense.
  • Out of the top 10, only about 3 of them I find any enjoyment from (Portal, SMG, TLOU, although the latter isn't the transcendental experience some would have you believe).

I haven't played Dark/Demons Souls so I have no opinion on them.

Fallout 3 doesn't belong in my opinion; it was one of only a handful of games I returned to the shops almost immediately because of how buggy it was. The only other two games in that category I recall were The Lost World on PS1 by EA, and Need For Speed 2, also on PS1.

Halo 3 I have no love for. It killed my interest in the series because of the unreasonable difficulty spikes and the single shittest chapter in any FPS game I have ever played. It hurt even more because the narrative pay-off was absent. This was a learning exercise for me for how not to get hyped up ever again. Part of it is my fault for getting so excited; but more blame rests on the developers in my opinion. However I should add, this only takes into account campaign and not multi. I had a falling out with most of my regular online friends around that time too, so only played a handful of online matches with it.

Other games: Uncharted 2 was best in its series. RDR I don't care for because its an open world Rockstar game (not my thing). Arkham City was inferior to Asylum. Left4Dead was 2hot4Australia.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • H3 is the one without the difficulty spikes. Didn't you get the memo?
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Cortana and the Crows Nest bottleneck stand out as spikes to me. Halo 1, 2 and Reach were pretty consistent in comparison; though my memory of Reach is less clear.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I don't really understand why people have problems with difficulty spikes? They are the sections in the game that are there to test you. It would be fairly mundane otherwise. Either you're skills weren't up to scratch or your heart wasn't in it.

Halo 3 is the best shooting game ever made. That campaign is near perfect in pacing and difficulty.

Crow's Nest is hands down one of the best levels devised in any shooting game ever released. 

Madness is being spouted in here lately.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It's a good list and I've played 7 of the 10.

While logically SMG is top it doesn't feel like a generation defining game. Or Halo 3 for that matter. They are both good, very good, though my memories of H3 are fairly hazy. It's not really until you get to Dark Souls that you got something that really defined the last generation of gaming. And I would say, looking at the popularity of the DS thread, also resonated with a lot of B&B members.

The other two games were just a refinement of previous generational classics.

• b0r1s wrote:
    The other two games were just a refinement of previous generational classics.
    Pretty much what I was thinking. SMG was great fun for sure, but it doesn't seem like the sort of game people will go on about years from now. Kind of like a big special effects based film that you enjoy immensely whilst watching it then forget all about the moment it ends. It's also still not as good as Mario 64 in many respects.

But still, we could've done a lot worse.
  • I don't really understand why people have problems with difficulty spikes? They are the sections in the game that are there to test you. It would be fairly mundane otherwise. Either you're skills weren't up to scratch or your heart wasn't in it.

I disagree. If it's the game that is plain sailing and you're beating it without losing much health, and then bam! There's a section where you die a thousand times, mainly cos you weren't expecting it and the game wasn't preparing you for challenge, then even if it is a genuine test it would feel completely out of place and off pace. Gradual increase in challenge as you progress is what is needed and I admit is probably not easy for devs to accomplish.

By its very definition, a difficulty spike is a problem.
  • Re: SMG, I disagree with comments on that also. It might not be generation defining, but a) that's not what we were after here, and b) generation defining games are not necessarily the best. Fuck CoD4 and fuck Wii Sports. 

Also, I would personally remember SMG in years to come for sure. It gave me great memories and the play on gravity will always be remembered. I agree it's not as great or memorable as SM64 though. But what is?!
  • I think the top 3 is just as it should be. Skyward Sword is just my personal Zelda fanboy pick and I do love it more than anything, but if it were possible to be objective, our top 3 is on the spot.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I don't really understand why people have problems with difficulty spikes? They are the sections in the game that are there to test you. It would be fairly mundane otherwise. Either you're skills weren't up to scratch or your heart wasn't in it.
    I disagree. If it's the game that is plain sailing and you're beating it without losing much health, and then bam! There's a section where you die a thousand times, mainly cos you weren't expecting it and the game wasn't preparing you for challenge, then even if it is a genuine test it would feel completely out of place and off pace. Gradual increase in challenge as you progress is what is needed and I admit is probably not easy for devs to accomplish. By its very definition, a difficulty spike is a problem.

Okay fair point, but Halo 3 doesn't have any spikes as such. There are just sections that are more challenging than others and there is nothing wrong with that. 

People like games to be cakewalks. I say, what's the fucking point of that? Man the fuck up and deal with it like a boss.
  • Nah, I like a challenge, just not frustration. Agree Halo 3 Cortana wasnt a spike. It was fine. You just had to take it a bit slower.
  • Halo 3 still has that shit Cortana level which is absolutely irredeemable
  • It's not bad at all. Did it the other day. You need to play it right is all.
  • Halo is for casuals anyway, real men played Counter-Strike.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    Halo is for casuals anyway, nerd boys played Counter-Strike.

FTFY.
  • Half-Life 2 also had a better paced campaign than Halo 3.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Please stahp.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Please stahp.
    yeah, i mean let's be honest, if you're comparing FPSs you're basically just arguing about which pile of shit tastes the least awful.... ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Halo 3 is more than just refinement. I mean, Forge ffs. Theatre. It's another level.

Mario Galaxy is the zenith of 3D platformers, although I thought Tools of Destruction ran it close.
  • Wow - complaining about difficulty spikes without mentioning dark souls? The bridge in Anor Londo was the difficultiest difficulty spike in difficult land.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!