GOTG -PS360 gen- RESULTS AND AWARDS!!! (Mario Galaxy wins)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I thought the structure and pacing of the levels was fine. As for the Prometheans, they're actually pretty decent (if tough) enemies with poor visual feedback which meant that most people seemed to treat them as bullet sponges rather than using tactics against them that may actually prove effective.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    All it takes is one good game to bring a franchise back.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    (And, joking aside, that's part of the reason I find voting for Journey do odd. I can see it might have given short-term joy, but can't see how it holds up to scrutiny on reflection.)

Yes, joking aside, would you say we should consider replayability here? If someone who has never played Journey before played it now, it would be just as great as if played on release. But it is indeed almost a play-once kinda game. Then again, most singleplayer games aren't as enjoyable second time through. If they are, that's a great bonus but given the amount of games out there waiting to be played, replaying a singleplayer isn't the highest in a lot of people's agendas. I haven't replayed Skyward Sword, but if I did, I doubt I would enjoy it anywhere near as much as my first playthrough.

No, I don't think replayability should be an explicit factor (thought it's obviously important for titles such as FIFA :-)).

What I'm more getting at is my old thing of subjectivity vs. objectivity I guess.  I'll try and be as objective as I can with my list (though I realise not everyone will, and many deliberately won't because they'll think the whole purpose of the list is subjectivity, and they may well be right, but hey ho).  Basically I can see that you might have subjectively thought it was good, but can you really objectively say it was?

I think my equivalent game is Motorstorm (I've already been mocked for it above no less!).  It's top 3 this gen for personal enjoyment gained, but I'm not sure it will make my list despite that, as I'm aware that for whatever reasons I enjoyed it more than most.  Obviously I'll be trying hard to find objective rationale for rating it highly (and have some detailed schpiel already lined up).  Your equivalent blurb in Post #3 is deeply personal - and while it seems unfair of me to object to it on those grounds, that's what I'm gonna do :-)
  • Yossarian wrote:
    The campaign wasn't that bad. I don't get why everyone keeps on banging on about how terrible it was. At least they tried to do something new by introducing a new range of enemies. They would have been damned if they'd stuck to the same old thing, but they tried something new and are instead getting damned for that.
    Well, yeah. But they tried something new and didn't do a very good job of it. Nobody would be damning anything if the Prometheans were entertaining enemies to fight. But they're not - Largely due to the woeful lack of feedback when your BR is poppin' and they don't seem to be stoppin'.

Multiplayer is good now. Much better than at release.
  • @ace: I think it's way too difficult to be totally objective. One can try, but then you start falling into the realms of listing other peoples GOTG and not your own. See Dynamite posts. If I was to try and be totally or vastly objective then I probably wouldn't rate many games at all. See all posts by Brooks. :)

I'm putting Journey there because, yes, it 'connected' with me and for a game to (have the ability to) do that is great. And it's not just me, judging by all the critics reactions, the stupid number of awards and the others who loved it. But that also has to do with it being considered 'art' perhaps.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I guess I can't really argue with that. Much though I want to.

Hopefully somebody else will though :-)
  • Halo 3 is my GOTG, by a landslide.
  • Halo 3 is my GOTG, by a landslide.

Was gonna wait and do a full top 10 but what the hell if Tiger is calling it then so am I.

Halo 3 absolutely batters everything else this gen.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    (And, joking aside, that's part of the reason I find voting for Journey do odd. I can see it might have given short-term joy, but can't see how it holds up to scrutiny on reflection.)
    Yes, joking aside, would you say we should consider replayability here?

Hmmm...

Portal is undoubtably iconic, represents a paradigm shift, and although it's not on my list, it's definitely a GOTG candidate... But it's not repayable. There are some interesting Youtube videos of some hardcore play though.

Thinking about what Ace wrote, If I were to draw up a personal list, the SF4 would still make it... And if there was a copy on Vita I'd... Well... I'd still be rinsing Persona like a fucking Weeaboo, but I would practice/play SF4. 

I gave my Xbox away about a year ago, and it's about the only game on the system that I truly miss. I'll buy Ultra on the PC this time.

Arkhams' Asylum was also really good for me, but GOTG? 
    I don't think so.

I mean, the generation before gave us GTA3... And Arkham asylum, in many ways, took a step back from that, technically. Maybe that's why I liked the game so much... It was a throwback to old school, SNES style game design. The type of game that many developers are now leaving behind...

I think the devco itself also realised this, so they followed up with Arkhams' City... Which was essentially GTA & The Dark Knight.

And then there's Machinarium, which is an extremely thoughtful game, and I got bang into that. But it's nowhere near as good as Grim Fandango.

I could go on...

I think my list of Wii-Sports, SF4 and CoD4 is fine.

Oh, and forget I ever mentioned Halo 4. 
    Now that I think of it, that game's essentially a response to CoD4.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yep. You talk about CoD's influence, part of that influence was almost ruining Halo. Definitely no GotG for me.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Again, also understand that I'm not a big FPS fan, but I can see a very interesting argument forming... Here's a good starting point for it..

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2008/02/02/clash-of-the-titans-call-of-duty-4-vs-halo-3
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Yep. You talk about CoD's influence, part of that influence was almost ruining Halo. Definitely no GotG for me.

Lol!
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Well... 

No one else is voting for Wii-Sports, even though Nintendo have essentially designed the XBone...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Halo 3 might well be it for me. Lol away, lawyer-boy.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Provisional top 12, in rough order, sans commentary while I ponder matters in more detail.

Uncharted 2
    Super Meat Boy
    Demon's Souls
    COD:MW (in the hope of some peace and quiet during Gonz's self-inflicted exile)
    Burnout Paradise
    Batman AA
    Mario Galaxy 2
    Portal
    Zelda: ALBW (or is that exempt, I've got confused)
    Wii Sports
    Motorstorm PR (cos it objectively rocks)
    Flight Control (mainly to annoy Dante)
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    COD:MW (in the hope of some peace and quiet during Gonz's self-inflicted exile)

Haha! Gnozo dude, I dun' swear I didn't choose CoD4 to antagonise you! ; )
  • Halo 3 will likely top my list too. Cod 4 would also be up there.
  • And Rock Band 3, which is bound to annoy all of you.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Just because Bungie and DICE fucked their own games by trying to copy CoD doesn't mean you can't vote for CoD4 as one of the best games of the generation. I'm not happy at the direction FPS games have taken post CoD selling record numbers, but I can't hold it against CoD4, it was a great game.
  • 1) Fire Emblem 3ds
    2) Halo 3
    3) Peggle
    4) Plants Vs Zombies
    5) SFIV
    6) Zelda ALBW
    7) GTAIV
    8) Street Pass Plaza games (3DS)
    9) Defence Grid
    10) NSS (IOS)
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • And Rock Band 3, which is bound to annoy all of you.

Not all. It only just about didn't make my list. Went with Mushi instead for the way it revived my love of shmups and for being so utterly great too.

Rock Band, in all its versions, is up there with SFIV and Halo 3 as my most played and most-fun-had game/series in past 8 years.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Just because Bungie and DICE fucked their own games by trying to copy CoD doesn't mean you can't vote for CoD4 as one of the best games of the generation. I'm not happy at the direction FPS games have taken post CoD selling record numbers, but I can't hold it against CoD4, it was a great game.

No, I won't vote for it because I didn't think it was very good.

And it was 343 that tried to CoDify Halo, not Bungie. /nitpicking.
  • Yossarian wrote:

I agree with this except for the very last 5 words. CoD's influence, for better or worse, should not be taken into account when judging how good/bad it is.
  • Oh, um. Yeah, it was 343, not Bungie. YEAH, PAUL! YOU GOT TOLD!
  • mk64 wrote:
    1) Fire Emblem 3ds
    2) Halo 3
    3) Peggle
    4) Plants Vs Zombies
    5) SFIV
    6) Zelda ALBW
    7) GTAIV
    8) Street Pass Plaza games (3DS)
    9) Defence Grid
    10) NSS (IOS)

Cheers. Erm. WTF with number 8, though? What is that?! I need the name of the actual game.

Also, no love for Mario?! :(
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    You see, despite all of CoD's problems, the franchise still acquires new fans, which suggests that there are fewer problems with the design than we think (of the multiplayer game at least).

The game does well to encourage team work and social play...
    More so than Halo, no?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Auto smiley hijacking the figure eight + close bracket.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I thought Bungie did Reach, and stuff like perks had crept in then?
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Zelda: ALBW (or is that exempt, I've got confused)

Actually, now that you mention it, I think there have been more people who say DS and PSP, and no 3DS or Vita, which having thought about it, makes sense. If we are talking console generations rather than some self-defined timespan in years or whatever, which I guess we are with the second G in GOTG being Generation, then DS and PSP are the same gen as 360 and PS3 (as we all know that GBA was the same gen as GC because of the amazing overused connection between the two, Zelda not withstanding / sarcasm).

So.... 3DS and Vita are out (and Wii U, if it was ever in), DS and PSP are in. Until we have more people voting to have all of them in. SHALLWEDOAPOLL?!?!?!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!