Bravely Default
  • Ch8 side quests were so much fun. Way better than just repeating the same fights. One was particularly brutal.
  • Oooh seriously fuck chapter 8! I think its the battle you allude to above
    Spoiler:

I got spanked on that a dozen times. Went to gamefaqs type guides for the smart way to beat them. That failed. The batman-prep-time method next up - that failed too. Every smart strategy I tried ended in tears.

I fucking showed them. This is how:
    Spoiler:
    Result:
    Spoiler:
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I think that was exactly what i did! Yeah it was that one, if you didnt kill qada in the first turn you might as well reset.

BUT doing them all was fun. The ending was really really good too. For the end boss, one thing I would recommend...
    Spoiler:
  • Right, Chapter 8 done.

Tactics for last battle:
    Spoiler:
    Story comment:
    Spoiler:
    Also, general question on an optional challenge:
    Spoiler:
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Don't think I got anything from shops, mostly Traveller and chests in dungeons. 
    Spoiler:

I did this (bonus dungeon) today. On a normal encounter rate.
    Came out with a million+ PG.

Easy cheese strategy
    Spoiler:
    Now I find out there's a bonus fight so I have to go through it all again.
  • Finished it, I think.

Great game. As good as Chrono Trigger for mine.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    On holiday with my 3ds

And left this at home.

:-(
  • Use Time Slip
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I DONT EVEN GET TEH IN JOKE COS NOT STARTED YET
  • After a few stops & starts & a rather lengthy break after chapter 5 this baby has been put to bed.

Great game with some real fresh ideas for what is slowely becoming a stagnant genre, only let down by one of the most shoddiest stories I have been told & if I'm being a bit of a tart, piss poor cutscenes, after the opening ones fantastic effort...
    Spoiler:
    Just went for power on the last few bosses. Team was as follows.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • I agree with most of what you said, Cindemon except for the story. I thought it was a great concept, told minimally. It wasn't convoluted like say, FFVII when dealing with the backstory business of the main characters.

The ending credits and consequences of it all were pretty smartly explained I thought.

As for strategy for the last few bosses I had this lot:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Other strategies:
    Spoiler:
  • And the sequel better hurry up.
  • Vela wrote:
    And the sequel better hurry up.

Amen to that.  The story(or perhaps length/application) might not of been my cup of tea, but the game mechanics were spot on & that ending are enough for me to have another nibble on the cherry.
  • Yeah, I think the story was told somewhat clumsily, but I am one to focus on the concept rather than delivery so perhaps I'm more forgiving of its faults in that regard.

I thought it was a very 'tidy' story in the way Chrono Trigger was, only it took five times as long to get there.
  • Is it worth playing this without it being connected to t'internet/street pass?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yep. The game lets you work around having no friends like me. Just make sure to leave the game running overnight in sleep mode (on the charger) too.
  • I really enjoyed this, even warming to chapters 5-8 by the end. I think the completionist inside me is what made me loathe that part of the game -- I *had* to do every sidequest. Ugh.

But yes, a lovingly made RPG with an entertaining cast of characters and an utterly fantastic Revo soundtrack. It felt so familiar but at the same time so unfamiliar.

My only worry is that Bravely Second won't be as good: the scriptwriter and composer have changed, and the game sharing its name with the IAP mechanic from the first game makes me wonder what's happened to the battle system.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    The script writer has changed?  Fucking win, I say.
    Get schwifty.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I never got anywhere near finishing this. Shame on me...
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    I never got anywhere near finishing this. Shame on me...

What chapter did you get to?
    Get schwifty.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Only, like, Chapter 3 or something.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Well concidering chapters five to eight are pointless filler, chapter three is quite a ways into the actual story.
    Get schwifty.
  • Judging from the latest trailer, Ryo's soundtrack is...eh: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRoIHvLrm3w
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I got this at chrimbo, ain't started it yet tho. Need to get through FE first. Can't multitask games on a single machine, my brain won't cope.

Finally now playing. Near the end of chapter 1. Really enjoying it so far, looks and sounds great and I've been long enough out of JRPGs that it feels like a long lost friend.

Low game time is working in my favour as I'm ticking the village ticking along and getting gifts and unlocks, so hoping to be nicely op!

The end game worries me, having read this thread. Keen to cash in my reg dollars though! Is there a quick way through even if it's not the "true" ending??
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    There is
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    But it's very unsatisfactory
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hmmm
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    No idea what this is, but it sounds like a kenta cho shmup
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Chapter 1 down, including (I think) all the sub-quests (so the oasis/thieves/merchant/king), which has unlocked a few more jobs - which i thought I'd play around with, but I'm instantly really weak as e.g. my bow affinity has vanished.  Sigh.  Genuine decisions needed; tempted to just stick with tanks but where's the fun in that?!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Get you a red Mage

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!