The hiding from an alien in a locker thread
  • That said, confrontation with most things is a big NO in this game, and I don't think I directly killed a single human in the whole game so your best bet is likely just avoidance
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Got through. I clonked a guy on the noggin, everyone heard even though they were miles away but I legged it through the door and they've not followed me. Poor.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I think I remember that opening bit having some ludicrous game logic that pissed me off. You can't pick up a pistol until you find a special one through a cutscene. Then you can pick up any pistol for ammo.

That bit and Medical. Only stuff that got to me.
  • Yep. The trial and error-y-ness of the Medical bit was frustrating.
    Xbox / PSN - DongleUnlimited
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    I think I remember that opening bit having some ludicrous game logic that pissed me off. You can't pick up a pistol until you find a special one through a cutscene. Then you can pick up any pistol for ammo.

That bit and Medical. Only stuff that got to me.
    Spoiler:
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Trial and error doesn't sound very appealing if I'm honest.
  • What difficulty have you all played on? I've died a lot on normal but have managed to make some progress each time so not sure whether to change it. Only started with crew expendible dlc.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I've done Normal and Hard and the only difference I could feel was you get less ammo of all types. I assume easy gives you buckets.
  • Hmm,ammo''s all well and good but since the alien ignores the flamethrower after its first use I'm not sure it'd matter!
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • I'm working through on hard. And it is.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Hodge360 wrote:
    Hmm,ammo''s all well and good but since the alien ignores the flamethrower after its first use I'm not sure it'd matter!

Mate you need to get in it's face. It just requires a longer burst each time.

Most of the game is strategically managing the fuel.
  • I've played quite a bit more of this now, it really is great. The art direction is so faithful to the original.
  • I've only played once and now considering getting Battlefront. Digital pile of shame beckons. :(
  • Got back into this and, once I was past Medical, I have really enjoyed barrelling through (as much as you can be said to be barrelling whilst crawling through levels one small shuffle at a time) this game. 

However, I have just reached the end of Chapter 11 and it is taking a flipping age to finish. Much of this is down to my obsession with collecting pointless doojits, and also playing on hard and spending too much time in lockers BUT...how long do people think it will take me to get to the end from here?
  • you can actually keep the alien at bay by just raising the flamethrower and not firing it. also molotovs send him running immediately, just be careful of burning yourself. he'll also come back very angry if you stay in place. 

no spoilers;

the first time you meet angry humans by the lift you have to avoid them, and head to the door in the upper floor. its semi scripted so that when you come back through that area something happens to them. I WONDER WHAT

also the trial and error factor goes away once you get so far into the game, as the Aliens 'patrols' become entirely random. which sometimes can feel as bad...

i remember feeling the same frustrations at the start of the game, it's not immediately clear that you can't really take people on or do what you want until a few hours in.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Just starting this now, I've got to the part where
    Spoiler:

Smang's post about the Alien being random is hitting home, I'm getting incredibly frustrated with this. Pretty sure the Alien is engaging in Mario Kart-style rubber banding. It's always just a bit too convenient when the feckin' thing appears behind you despite you leaving it behind yonks ago and nothing appearing on your motion tracker. There's just that hiss, and guess what, you're dead. There's no chance of escape (even the load screen hints and tips confirm this), so once I hear that noise, I just put down my controller and wait for the end. It wouldn't be so bad if the load times were shorter, but I can't even select "continue from last save" for 30 or so seconds.

I mean, I once saw the Alien cross in front of me, at the t-junction on the end of the corridor I was on. I crouch-walk my way up to the junction, only to find that the direction the Alien walked is a dead end. No vents, no doors, just a six-foot long alcove. I know this thing is meant to be mobile, sneaking around in the ducts and such, but that just smacks of the game moving it around when you can't see it to screw you over "keep the tension up".

I honestly had more fun with Colonial Marines, despite Isolation being better in every measurable way.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The experience is being in a slice of the Alien world. I get the frustrations, and as/when I get round to it it'll be on easy, as the behaviour of the Alien has always sounded and looked to me as you described.

But it's an aesthetic I can't wait to experience.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Aesthetically, it's perfect. I'm just finding the Alien a little bit too unbeatable.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Srsly, medical is a real mistep in pacing and i hated it like you. Get past that and you get the flamethrower and then it becomes an [8].
  • Is anyone playing this currently using a decent set of headphones? I used my Sony Golds with the virtual surround on and it made a hell of a difference in terms of tracking the alien's movement. You just need to get used to waiting it out and/or distracting it whenever it's around. I don't think I ever thought the alien was cheap at any stage through my playthrough.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I've not played this since I got it really (made it to med bay maybe a week after release, not touched it since) but yer, VSS and some good cans were a must.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I think you're hiding in the locker just across from the locker I'm hiding in...
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I could have sworn I heard a faint grumbling just before I saved and logged off.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • :D
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Srsly, medical is a real mistep in pacing and i hated it like you. Get past that and you get the flamethrower and then it becomes an [8].

I'll just have to grind this bit out and hope the RNG is on my side.
  • I was so proud of myself for completing this.
  • What was your big time scariest bit
  • Probably one of the bits with the Alien
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Spoilers ffs dan
  • Because I think most games are about as scary as the prospect of a free roast dinner, I was jazzed that it made me jump once or twice.

Specifically
    Spoiler:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!