Arcade gaming
  • That's just up the road, might have a butchers
  • Lurch666 wrote:
    Play expo is on at Blackpool this year. 23rd-24th October at Norbreck castle.
    I've already booked a BnB and time off.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    I'm just relieved Mikado have managed to hang on by going hard in the paint on courting their nostalgic nerds and FGC ramblers via soc media, crowdfunding etc. It's like the only place I ever wanted to go, and now that's basically the only place you can. They've done well enough to open a Spanish chapter now.

Mikado a regularly streaming now. I enjoy dropping in from time to time.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Lurch666 wrote:
    Play expo is on at Blackpool this year. 23rd-24th October at Norbreck castle.
    I've already booked a BnB and time off.

That's tempting.
  • Much love to the Blackpool massive. (Where my family are from).

Love me an English seaside town. Shame how the place is now.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Much love to the Blackpool massive. (Where my family are from).

Love me an English seaside town. Shame how the place is now.

I was there last weekend for a friend's anniversary meal etc.
    We went to the bank restaurant which was brilliant and classy but finding a decent drinking spot after was terrible so many fuckwits in that place.

Also all 4 outrun c2c machines have something broken on them. :(
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I was asked to stop playing the camel racing at Coral Island and let other people have a chance last time I went to Blackpool.

Its the one thing in life I'm truly good at. Probably world champion material tbh.
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    I'm just back from another visit to the Arcade Club in Leeds.

I really can't recommend the place enough.  Massive selection of games, all in top nick too.

To top it off, the place sells food/beer which is sensible priced; beers around the £4 mark for pints of Punk IPA and Punk larger.  Hotdogs/burgers around £3 and the Wario burger (doubble cheese, bacon and what not) is amazing and runs in a a £5.

My Son and I have been 3 times now and can happily spend 8 hours + there; proper field of dreams stuff!
  • Hotdogs/burgers around £3 and the Wario burger (doubble cheese, bacon and what not) is amazing and runs in a a £5.

181113_3829627_Ron_s_Favorite_Restaurant_anvver_1.jpg
    SFV - reddave360
  • I'm just back from another visit to the Arcade Club in Leeds.

I really can't recommend the place enough.  Massive selection of games, all in top nick too.

To top it off, the place sells food/beer which is sensible priced; beers around the £4 mark for pints of Punk IPA and Punk larger.  Hotdogs/burgers around £3 and the Wario burger (doubble cheese, bacon and what not) is amazing and runs in a a £5.

My Son and I have been 3 times now and can happily spend 8 hours + there; proper field of dreams stuff!

I regularly have to travel around the UK for on site audits... Wonder if I can wangle a visit there...
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    It truly is a amazing place and certainly worth travelling to visit.

I live in Newcastle and more than happy to pop down for a day and spend an evening in a cheep premier inn.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I thought the industry was winding down.

What kind of stuff do they exhibit? Is it not just gambling machines and ticket dispensers based on the latest mobile craze (tbf, I did see a Halo machine on my last trip to a seafront arcade around a month ago)?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Arcade club is proper classic era to 90s arcade videogames afaik.

Id love to go to somewhere like that.
  • Arcade club is run by Arcade cab collectors.
    They are full of classic games from the 80's and 90's with some newer games of interest as well from weird games to games you normally only see in Japan.
    All on freeplay you just pay to get in.
    You rang.....
  • i've been to quite a few sea front recently and there are barely any arcade games left. Everything is just ticket based. I even played a ticket producing fruit machine in Brighton last week! 

It's a real shame. I don't understand why they don't have fighting games anymore, it's only ever racing games yet two mates will always whack in a couple of quid for SF2 or SF4/MK etc. It's a real shame. 

Starting to notice VR games to but i'm always too worried about someone stealing my shit that i never go on them.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Arcades are rather depressing now. But it looks like the way they are is the way to make money.

Played a versus Flappy Bird game a week or two ago in an arcade. Was enjoyable but it was overpriced and ultimately just a ticket game based on distance achieved.

NI seaside arcades have an 18+ section at the back with the high jackpot fruit machines and pokers. Quiet, seats, coffee machines, ATMs etc. I presume it's like that in GB too?
  • yes they do have seperated 18+ areas just for slots / fruities
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Poker machines have been a big thing over here since the 80s. They have been in pubs here as long as I can remember. We have a local company called Noraut who may have a slice of the IP pie. A mate of mine had a job interview with them way back as a programmer.

https://noraut.com/poker-machines.php
  • yes i know, they're called pokies there aren't they?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Aussies call them pokies. We just call them poker machines over here as far as I know.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh..... MAME runs the Noraut ROMs. :)

Would love to see a code listing of that bloody hi-lo bonus game.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    The most impressive thing I'd seen recently, was this:

https://youtu.be/y_WjHZRPafg

I doubt it's remarkably sophisticated, but the water/steam gimmick looked fun. Would wonder if it would pay for itself inside a year.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Many of the ticket games in arcades are good fun. The cost to play is crazy though. I saw one for kids that has them standing in a transparent chamber with balls being released above them to pick up and place in a container - the more you get the more tickets you get. Simple idea but executed really well. Was fun watching a wee one playing with the parents cheering on. :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    got MAME running a Noraut poker machine. Well implemented as it shows the button status at the button of the screen , lighting them up when activated. MAME's config even has poker machine pre-sets in its keyboard setup. One could easily rig a table top unit up if one so desired.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!