Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Oh fuck off. That dick off the last page is an unkillable piece of shit. Done his bodyguards, offed all other Warchiefs and killed a captain who was close by. Started the fight, was doing well, killed a shit load of Uruk by using fires and assploding crates, only for three (!) more captains to join in, one was of those poisonous spear throwers too.

Fucking unbelievable.
  • Get the slash perk that finishes the Uruk at the end of the combo (blows their heads off), you will also have a finisher charged by the time the combo finishes, meaning you can instantly kill another Uruk straight away, try and use that combo finisher on a shield or berserker, then build up your next combo etc...

I tend to jump a shield dude, slash combo him until his head pops and then combo finish a brute or another shield guy.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Ha ha!
    GET BUTTER.
  • What's his weaknesses!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Never mind, went straight back and he wandered straight out of the camp, just me and him in the rain. Easiest battle yet. Pure fucking luck, it's left a sour taste in my mouth.
  • See, pick your moments.
    Stalk them, over roof tops, wait for their entourage to split up then, swoop down - FACE STAB, FACE STAB, FACE STAB.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I think that was more a quirk of the AI/spawning. I'm not sure you're supposed to be fighting against a Warchief and three captains, and I'm almost certain the Warchief wasn't supposed to be going for a stroll alone.
  • Both times I fought a war chief at least three captains showed up. Some of them will show up if they are his guards (they have lines between them in the captains screen).

I'm about half way now.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I took out the guards, half of the board was empty. I think it was spawning new captains in, just a victim of circumstance.

The Chief was a particular fucker too, blocks all frontal attacks, blocks your vault move, you can't counter his attacks. Since I didn't want to cheese arrows, I had to dodge his attack and hit him from behind with a combo, ground finisher once he fell, then a combat finisher once he was back on his feet with his shield up. About four of those saw him off with a decapitation. I'd never have done it if he wasn't alone, the other mooks break chains and get in the way of dodges and finishers way too often.
  • @sparky
    That does sound like a particularly tough dude. And yeh, tackling him with an entourage would be very hard.
  • Curtis yeah he was a scrub, built like Ratbag but a lot tougher.

How do critical strikes work? Tap the button once it says, but I always do that.
  • @chump
    It's not quite as slick but it reminds me in many ways of the original Batman AA game - the sense of enjoyment and empowerment I get from playing it that is. It somehow feels fresh but blatantly uses mechanisms from Batman and Ass Crud and refines them a little.
  • Yeh I don't get that crit strike thing. I often double tap to start a combo out of habit (in case I've missed the animation window) so I've probably muckedbthe chance if getting a crit straight away.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    I'm pretty sure the description says "press square (again) at the exact moment your strike hits the enemy".
  • pantyfire wrote:
    @chump It's not quite as slick but it reminds me in many ways of the original Batman AA game - the sense of enjoyment and empowerment I get from playing it that is. It somehow feels fresh but blatantly uses mechanisms from Batman and Ass Crud and refines them a little.
    ooooh, from them reviews and this, I've gone from zero to BELAYED HYPE miles per hour.

Another tick in the "must buy a new console soon" box!
  • This game is excellent. All games should start so grimly.
  • Curtis wrote:
    I'm pretty sure the description says "press square (again) at the exact moment your strike hits the enemy".
    Yeh, but my double tap to start i think makes it void. I gave seen the word 'critical' pop up on the HUD in the corner a couple of times, but I am defo not timing them properly.

@Chump
    I would say the RPS article (not the review) is both right and a little wrong at the same time.
    The game does explain things briefly when you start, you just have to pay attention, some things it doesn't - I cant recall a explanation of the FOCUS (slow mo aim) and how to restore it for instance.
    I would say that it's correct and you should do the first story missions until you get to the 'Kill 4 Warchiefs' one. Doing the first few will give you a nice suite of abilities to then go wild and deliver steel to brains at a very satisfying rate.

The AI is dumb as fuck, but that's intentional in my opinion. The map is teeming with enemy and having them spot you from distance and intelligently track you would make the game a absolute chore, especially getting from A to B, again, IMO. So I'm OK with the dumb AI.

The whole nemesis thing does a great job of turning mini bosses and warchiefs into personalities that in turn makes it very satisfying when you stab a particularly troublesome captain through the eye.
  • Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • OK - this is getting a little more fun for me. Last night I just spent my time doing whatever was closest while riding the big wolf thing. I've levelled up a bit and the lack of health regen seems to be sorting itself out a bit now.

Enjoying just beating the fuck out of things.
  • Weapons runes that give health back on stealth kills or drain are a must to keep the game flowing.
  • Well, this game just keeps getting better. 
    Just when I was thinking I was going to have to do the Warchief missions for the second time the game throws in a new mechanism that makes it very, very interesting indeed.
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Weapons runes that give health back on stealth kills or drain are a must to keep the game flowing.

What I'm ideally looking for is something that will regen health when I'm taking a beating during a 50 orc skirmish.
  • There are runes that give you health back on flurry kills and 30 hit combos, so they are there. 
    Don't forget to run away.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    So there's a berserker captain. Can't attack from the front due to counters, can't vault him to attack from the back, he's also a heavy hitter so no counter hits from me either.

Fears are betrayal(?!), Graugs and fire. Haven't got a clue how to lure a graug, or how to get someone to betray him, so I went with fire.

He runs, I follow, using spirit arrow or whatever to close the distance, but he's got health regen too and I can't do enough damage to kill him before another orc needs to be countered/dodged or just gets in the way of the punishment. I've chased this ridiculous cunt around the map for half an hour, Benny Hill style. I ended up getting killed by an Archer.

Utter bollocks, a quirk of the strength/weakness system means that this fool is probably tougher to kill than the end boss.
  • So there's a berserker captain. Can't attack from the front due to counters, can't vault him to attack from the back, he's also a heavy hitter so no counter hits from me either.

Fears are betrayal(?!), Graugs and fire. Haven't got a clue how to lure a graug, or how to get someone to betray him, so I went with fire.

He runs, I follow, using spirit arrow or whatever to close the distance, but he's got health regen too and I can't do enough damage to kill him before another orc needs to be countered/dodged or just gets in the way of the punishment. I've chased this ridiculous cunt around the map for half an hour, Benny Hill style. I ended up getting killed by an Archer.

Utter bollocks, a quirk of the strength/weakness system means that this fool is probably tougher to kill than the end boss.

Same exact problem today, same guy, killed me a few times making him even stronger. He's also weak to combo execution moves so build em up on his gang then use on him, when he runs try but him with the freezing mechanic thing and punish his ass!!
  • If you get one of those guys when you are early in the game they can be a pain. But if he's just a captain, then ignore him, there are abilities that you can unlock later that will help immensely. 
    Even If he's a Warchief you can still ignore him and maybe let someone else get promoted into a vacant spot you created earlier. 
    Spoiler:
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm going to come back with a big friend and fuck him up, I think that's what the game wants. It's a shame you can't off everyone in a variety of ways but I'll get over it.
    Spoiler:
  • I found myself missing Mordor!
    Top tip. Do the beast hunting missions ASAP, along with the speak to the Queen mission, you get new powers that are really worth it.
  • Think I'm about 15 hours in and not bored yet, hardly touched the main quests either. Good stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!