Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
  • As long as you don't have an issue with the lack of later difficulty then it's a absolute cracker of a first effort IMO.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's delightfully trivial once you've unlocked a few abilities. I've got a rune on my bow which gives me 46% of my focus back when I get a headshot while unseen. It equates to unlimited bullet time, you never use enough focus to dent 46% while lining up a headshot.
  • I played Batman AC the either day (in 3D - it's pretty sweet) and I would go as far as to say the combat in this is better.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    pantyfire wrote:
    I played Batman AC the either day (in 3D - it's pretty sweet) and I would go as far as to say the combat in this is better.
    Batman is awesome in 3D though perhaps I have my rose-tinted specs on as I seem to remember the moves in Batman being quite ace! Saying that the executions in this are smart.

How do I know what 'level' I am or does that not matter?

As for the difficulty I think perhaps it must ramp up because I have only died a couple of times and tbh that was my own fault for not running.

I am loving finding out the intel on your would-be target before you get to him...
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Just done my first Warchief, I am excite.
  • I found I was in control of the pace of the combat in this more than I was in Batman AC the other day. It was quite surprising.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I've found that difficulty that people speak about.

I have to kill 5 supporters with a ground or combat execution, despite carrying out fuck knows how many executions it hasn't registered a single one so I'm guessing it wants me to do something else (I am using Y+B ) but the sheer number of enemies means that the main focus is actually staying alive.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's RT and X when they're on the deck, not Y and B.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I had been doing the execution when I had the sufficient number of hits, no way would I get time to do a RT+X kill...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yeah you usually have to counter someone in the middle of the execution animation, but that gives you a little time to try it again and it usually works second time.

You don't need the combo chain up to do a ground execution BTW, you can do them any time.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Yeah I know but I must have at least 20 blokes fighting me and half of them are the shielded ones. It is a proper cunt of a mission or at least it has been for me so far.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yup. Knowing what to do is only half the battle innit? You have to try to pull it off in the middle of a riot.

Again, bail from fights once it gets rowdy to keep the numbers down.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I presumed that the Y + B execution would count seeing has it is emblazoned across my screen when I get close to where all the orcs are hanging out!
  • I can't remember this one. Are you sure it's not just sneak executions or something?
  • Because as P points out the ground executions are quite tricky to pull off.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Just did that bridge one you were on about Panty. I'd love to have said I did it first go like Billy big bollocks but I ran too far forward and insta-failed again, so second time was a charm. It wasn't too bad, no captains involved, keep your executions for the torch runners and use the barrels and fly's to thin the numbers down.

I've recorded a video of me insta-failing a dagger challenge, I think the archer I stealth drain actually sets off the alarm as no one else can see me. Fucking shit. I've only got one dagger, one bow and a hunting challenge left, all other stuff is done. Love this game despite the bullshit.
  • I just combat drained/branded orcs, used the combo finishers on pesky berserkers/shield and head shotted the torchbearers.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm not sure you even have to kill them, one hit and they drop the torch. Better to make sure though eh? Filthy orcses.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Decent article on the difficulty here.

There's definitely a point at which you become too powerful, when you shorten your combo chain to 5 from 8 was a turning point, and the perk that lets you take a hit without breaking your chain really makes things easier.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    pantyfire wrote:
    I can't remember this one. Are you sure it's not just sneak executions or something?
    It is where you have to kill some supporters with a combat or ground execution.

All the enemy congregate in a sort of large hall and they have yellow dots over their heads, there are fucking tons of enemy's and I haven't had a single confirmed execution?

I will try and find a youtube video that will firstly highlight the mission I am talking about and secondly make it no doubt look easy and with it myself a numpty.
  • Odd. Can't remember it all.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    This is the mission (starts at 1:36) but mine is nowhere like this? I have about 20 yellow dots (targets) all in one location (the aforementioned large hall) and I have to fight about 20-30 people all at once so I don't get time to do a 'normal' execution (RT+X) so I have been building my hit combo and then using the other execution (which you see it tells you on the screen in this video).

I even did a brutalize to split up the pack and chased a lone supporter where I then did a RT+X execution and my count stayed on zero? If my Upload Studio actually fucking worked I could show you...

• Glitched then?
    Does a shut down or restart cure it?
    I never had one glitch of this nature and I can't recall any of the other guys playing it getting one either!
    Sorry!
  • Got this game for £30 from simply games, loving it so far!
  • After my restart - see a few pages back - I've now completed this.  All challenges and runes and skills and what not too. Thoroughly enjoyed it and this is despite the fact it's orks and elves and shit which in my world of turn offs is up there with sci-fi. Probably my favourite game this year so far although that's not a massive achievement considering the other stuff about.

Best crowd type combat since Batman and the main chap has quite a nice tone to his voice too.  All in all its been great so thanks for the guidance on getting me going with the game.  Glad I didn't discard it. Cheers badgers.
  • I played Batman again the other day and I would say the combat in this is better. 
    You fight at your own pace in this, you can speed it up or slow it down depending on the situation. I was surprised to find in Batman that you had no choice, you fought to the games rhythm and that was it.

@uncle & ZMM 
    I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's my GOTY so far too. But FC4, Dragon Age Inq and Sunset Overdrive have yet to be played.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Last gen gameplay, if anyone was thinking of picking up the 360/PS3 version:

• Yeah I have it. And it is shockingly bad. It's actually broken. Cut scenes audio playing before any sign of visuals, the worst texture pop in I've seen in years, horrendously foggy and jerky all round and pause screen hanging for anything up to five minutes. Looked like a shonky PS2 game! I got to play it for all of ten minutes before my 360 crashed. I couldn't quite believe how bad it looked and thought maybe the install had corrupted, but no, it's not just me:

http://shadowofmordor.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:30567

Metacritic is quite funny reading to:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor

Fucking terrible.
  • Pity. Because if Batman AC is achievable on last gen then I have no idea why this isn't.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    No idea how it's so broken, but it's a real shame as it's a quality game.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!