Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    There can never be enough Yorkshire's on a plate if there's slatherings of gravy. I'd happily have just that for tea.
  • I hereby pronounce you and Gav honorary Yorkshiremen.
  • Can I join? I make sure that all Yorkshire Puddings are eaten promptly, too.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Bunch of amateurs

8dxVFJa.jpg

What a night this was
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    We (and by we I mean the kids) normally scoff them with golden syrup.

This o/
  • I have no idea why anyone would visit KFC more than once.
  • I have a deep fat fryer now, last night I had black pudding scotch eggs and triple cooked chips. Soon I'll be having fried chicken. I'm going to get fat.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    I have no idea why anyone would visit KFC more than once.

Vaguely interesting reason. I was in a small town in Borneo during Ramadan and absolutely everywhere was closed until sundown. Except KFC, which had its doors and windows covered with curtains. Knowing it's a kip, but starving, we chanced it. When we went in it was like that pub scene from An American Werewolf in London - conversation stopped and a dozen guilty looking Muslim families froze with pieces of chicken halfway to their mouths. Despite being ravenous it was still shit, though.
  • I quite like KFC. It’s dirty, filthy, fast food and it knows it.

That said, I haven’t had one in something like four or five years. Maybe it’s gone to shit.
  • Kow wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    I have no idea why anyone would visit KFC more than once.
    Vaguely interesting reason. I was in a small town in Borneo during Ramadan and absolutely everywhere was closed until sundown. Except KFC, which had its doors and windows covered with curtains. Knowing it's a kip, but starving, we chanced it. When we went in it was like that pub scene from An American Werewolf in London - conversation stopped and a dozen guilty looking Muslim families froze with pieces of chicken halfway to their mouths. Despite being ravenous it was still shit, though.

Heh.

I had a Burger King last week for the first time in about 10 years.  Not a great move but time was limited.  I would rather starve to death than go near another KFC though.
  • I always wonder what people ate there to have such a fierce reaction.
    It is deep fried chicken, what did you expect?
  • There's fried chicken and then there's fried chicken. I can't get on with KFC my chicken needs to be crispy and KFCs is always limp.
  • I always wonder what people ate there to have such a fierce reaction. It is deep fried chicken, what did you expect?

The waterfalls of grease that came free with every bite.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It really used to be not like that.

I also think it depends on when said pieces were fried. If they have been sitting too long it doesn't bode well.

You used to get what was called a milk roll with a meal. It was somewhere between a scone , a brioche and a bread roll. This would have been circa '84-85.

If wasn't KFC then either - it was called Kentucky Fried Chicken. Their chips were edible then too.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • There is good fried chicken but did anyone think they were going to get it from somewhere that these days is quite obviously the chicken version of McDonalds?
  • davyK wrote:
    It really used to be not like that. I also think it depends on when said pieces were fried. If they have been sitting too long it doesn't bode well. You used to get what was called a milk roll with a meal. It was somewhere between a scone , a brioche and a bread roll. This would have been circa '84-85. If wasn't KFC then either - it was called Kentucky Fried Chicken. Their chips were edible then too.

milk-roll-bread-bg7bfm.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    All of these chains will at some point have been rather good but the concept of the franchise which has pushed every aspect of production to squeeze a profit has compromised the quality. They are all living off some sort of communal memory that the current generation has inherited; further enforced by the advertising /promotional function.

I can remember me and my bro having a sit down Wimpy with proper restaurant style service. My uncle brought us on a day out - his horses must have come in that weekend. It was glorious.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It really used to be not like that. I also think it depends on when said pieces were fried. If they have been sitting too long it doesn't bode well. You used to get what was called a milk roll with a meal. It was somewhere between a scone , a brioche and a bread roll. This would have been circa '84-85. If wasn't KFC then either - it was called Kentucky Fried Chicken. Their chips were edible then too.
    milk-roll-bread-bg7bfm.jpg

Not quite.

Was a mini bread roll shape. Tasted great. There was a slight sweetness to it. Went superbly with the chicken.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That brings up the subject of bread. We used to have great bread here. Then post ceasefire Tesco came over and bought out all the indie bakeries and forced what they called Irish bread on us - a shadow of its former self. Can't even get a good loaf of white bread now. We have a plain loaf which when properly made is glorious. We also have a pan loaf which is what you get elsewhere in the UK by default. It's like blotting paper now though Brennans is a decent loaf. Plain has more texture and a proper nutty crust. You might call it a batch loaf?

Hovis granary wholemeal still passes muster.

There are signs of recovery though. Little indie brands are popping up in smaller shops that are promising.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Cheers Davy, your Wimpy story gave me a knowing grin.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A good fish and chip shop is still a dependable alternative. As long as it's independent. We do have a chain over here called John Dory and their stuff is very good indeed but they are small as far as I know.
  • Speaking of bread, does anyone know where I can get a really soft, moist bread roll? Greggs used to do fantastic ones, but since  they decided to drop 'the Bakers' from their name you can't get bread any more.
  • My mum used to take me to Wimpy's. I suspect all these franchises were always shit, but age creates bias to happier, younger days.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Thanks to Patty & Bun, I have seen a once-good franchise turn to shit in front of my eyes.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I will be honest here, if it wasn't for the gravy I wouldn't use KFC, the chicken selects at McDs far outway KFC's effort
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I will be honest here, if it wasn't for the gravy I wouldn't use KFC, the chicken selects at McDs far outway KFC's effort

But the grazy is godly
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Finally made pancakes for breakfast.

Next time I'll add egg and bacon too, for the full American.

(And @SG, that video you posted with the Lamb and papaya recipe looks tasty, I don't have a pan yet that can go in the oven, so need to sort that first. If anyone has any tips for good kitchen supply brands. We're trying to keep it very basic, as long as the quality is at least ok.)
  • Wimpy still exists, at least up here. It's still a sit down, table service burger joint and is ok. Also serves a massive sausage thing called the Bender.

Did Milk Roll ever used to be called Blackpool Roll btw or was that just a local affectation?
  • Blackpool Milk Roll I think.

Wimpy is still around, mostly in the south though. Nearest to me is Birkenhead, which I keep meaning to make a trip to.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    East Birkenhead Custody Suite - sounds like a travellodge, it isn't, but they were pretty cool

Wimpy in Nottingham, always enjoyed wimpy actually, everything is cooked to order the half pounder is lovely and they egg and bender in a bun also

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!