Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm actually not that big a fan of pasta. I like it occasionally but I wouldn't go mental for it, like some people do.
  • I’m going to make my own pasta tomorrow for the first time ever. Was given a pasta machine by an Italian client as a gift fairly recently so it would be rude not to have a go.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I have one of those. Kneading the dough for 10 or 15 minutes is a pain in the arse but otherwise it's pretty easy.
  • I’m finding it hard to imagine how much better something can taste if it only has two ingredients to go from.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    One of the reasons I'm not mad about pasta is that I don't really think it has much flavour anyway, it depends on the sauce. I suppose the benefit is that it really does only have 2 ingredients if you make it yourself, no added crap.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I love the stuff, will happily have a bowl of pasta, salt, pepper, and a couple of poached eggs. I normally love huge flavours and have probably torched my palate from over flavouring everything in my past. So you';re right Kow, it often doesn't have huge taste, so the fact I love it so much suddenly surprises me. DOn;t get me wrong I still make potent sauces, but can also enjoy it dry
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I'd eat spaghetti with salt, pepper and oil until the cows come home.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I’m going to make my own pasta tomorrow for the first time ever. Was given a pasta machine by an Italian client as a gift fairly recently so it would be rude not to have a go.

Don't forget to rest it before rolling - in the fridge wrapped in cling film for half an hour.
  • Kow doesn't like it, you can keep eating it when he comes home.
    Don't forget to rest it before rolling - in the fridge wrapped in cling film for half an hour.

Yeah, I’ve jus read that this minute.  I wouldn’t have known to do it though, so thanks for the heads up.  It needs to dry out apparently?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I don't think you should let it rest in the fridge unless you're planning on waiting until the next day to roll it. Leave it wrapped up at room temperature.

Yeah, I’ve jus read that this minute.  I wouldn’t have known to do it though, so thanks for the heads up.  It needs to dry out apparently?

Only once it's made to give it some bite. Drape it over something. Wooden handles are popular in Italy. A couple of hours should do it. You don't have to with ravioli but for dressed pasta like tagliatelle it's better.
  • Going to Timberyard in Edinburgh for dinner tonight. I’ve got high expectations of this place.

https://www.timberyard.co/
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Like a bit of pasta from time to time.

A good carbonara is supreme comfort eating.

Fond of ravioli when in a restaurant too.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • poprock wrote:
    Going to Timberyard in Edinburgh for dinner tonight. I’ve got high expectations of this place. https://www.timberyard.co/

Review plz.
  • Boiling garlic is legit but we only like frying it for some reason. I've mainly found frying garlic kills it's flavour. Garlic bread is best by grating raw garlic into a butter and oil mixture and brushing it over hot toasted bread. Here's a chef boiling some garlic.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Went to The Fishmarket last night following El Cartel on Friday. Last night's dinner just enforced don't fuss around with fish, serve it straight up. I had crab cakes with chips and a garlic aioli and it was heaven. No extraneous stuff in the crab cakes (potato etc) just lovely white meat.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Food spoke for itself and the chips were immaculate.

znhIq0M.jpg
  • Timberyard was everything I’d heard it was. Incredible space, and outstanding food.

We had this private dining room for 13 people. A tight squeeze, but not as tight as you’d think from the photo.

YaXgrjo.jpg

Four proper courses bolstered by amouse bouche at the start, petit fours at the end, and a few bread courses inbetween. Things like raw scallop in a parsley broth, half a quail with Jerusalem artichoke, seared trout on a bed of scallions, and venison with all sorts of complicated accompaniments. I was really impressed, and the food was all small courses spread over a long time – so it didn’t feel like too much, which is always a danger with this sort of dining.

Great wines too, and a whole menu of home-made infused spirits as digestifs alongside our coffees. One of which was a habanero infused mescal called ‘Fuck Trump and his stupid fucking wall’.

It’s an expensive place, but if you’re in the market for a fancy Edinburgh dinner I reckon it might be one of the best. Definitely enjoyed it more than The Kitchin, which is high praise.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah we went to timberyard a couple of years ago and it's just a lovely esconced experience.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If you are ever in Newry, Northern Ireland and want a bit of quality junk.

Chicken burger in a place called Friar Tuck's.

Has been a constant over the decades. Had one yesterday for the first time in years. Still as good as ever and the chips are equal to it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Homemade pasta was pretty fucking good.  Can defo see the appeal of that with decent O oil and salt and pepper.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    yay, silly question, did the water still get pretty starchy, I've never made my own pasta and for some reason imagine the water won;t egt anywhere near as starchy as with bought, dunno why I think that, am an idiot
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Um, good question actually.  It was probably slightly starcher looking than dried pasta water but tbh, i was too busy plating it all up to worry too much about it.  I’ll defo be making again sometime this week so I’ll monitor that.
  • Fresh pasta water (homemade) gets cloudy because it's often covered in flour to stop it sticking as it's drying. It's only in the water for a minute or two. It's not the same as dried pasta water and can't really be used to emulsify a sauce. You wouldn't make cacio e pepe with fresh because the sauce would separate due to lack of emulsification but it's ideal for a thick meat sauce, say. Dried is actually better for a simple oil dish - the emulsification with water stops it from being greasy.
  • Behold.

Edit: Although he has far too much water for the pasta. Less water = more starch.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Hmm, that was my worry, I'll make some tomorrow and find out. I was thinking I'd dry the pasta at least partway after making anyway just so it would still have a little bite to it after cooking

edit: I normally have an ice tray full of pasta water, but it's running low at the minute, hence me being intrigued
  • Fresh will overcook if you try and use it for dried pasta dishes. The great thing about dried is you put it in the sauce while it's a little bit too firm and then you can toss it and add the water until it's good. Fresh can cook in under a minute if it's very fresh. Anyone who makes fresh should try some stuffed pasta dishes or a lasagne. Don't get me wrong, fresh pasta is great - homemade ravioli will make you cry with pride, but it's not better or worse than dried, it's just used differently. There are some extremely expensive dried pastas out there and often you get what you pay for. They say you can't judge a book by it's cover but when it comes to dry pasta you generally can. If the packet seems fancy then the pasta is almost always good.
  • One great thing about fresh is that you can make obscenely decadent dishes. Fresh pasta made with 10 or so egg yolks (without the whites) can be amazeballs. Italian eggs can be really orange as they let the hens peck at carrots all day, and that colour and richness is really something that's hard to replicate over here. There are eggs available now in the UK that can do the same (Waitrose and even Lidl are selling more traditional breeds), but you still need a lot of yolks to get that colour.
  • Also, re dried, you don't actually have to spend a lot. De Gecco is the most widely available good dried pasta and it's very forgiving with the al dente timing. For the money it's pretty terrific. When it's on sale for a pound buy shitloads.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!