Now eating/drinking
  • New hob that I can actually cook with and good pans mean I have been experimenting with getting a good steak at home, not an easy task.

Tonight I got close, just left it a bit too long on the hob despite knowing I should have taken it off sooner.

Method.
    1. Remove steak from fridge an hour before cooking.

2. Just before cooking season steak on both sides with salt, chunkier the better and pepper.

3.Heat pan on high heat with an oil with a high burn temp like vegetable or ground nut. (Skip oil if pan is seasoned)

4. While that is getting to temp get butter out of the fridge and peel smash two garlic cloves per steak.

5. When the oil starts to smoke knock the heat down a couple of notches.

6. Immediately add the steak. If there are larger bits of fat on the perimeter hold those against the pan first to render (use tongs). Lay the steak down on one side.

7. Leave for 2 to 3 minutes depending on steak thickness and desired level of cooking.

8. Once caramelized on one side flip the steak and add the butter and garlic. Adding the butter earlier will likely burn it.

9. Baste continuously allowing the butter and garlic to run over the steak. Do this for the same amount of time as the other side.

10. Put the pan with steak into oven preheated to a medium heat, 170c, for the same time again.

11. Remove from oven, place steak on a warm plate and loosely cover in foil. Leave for 5-10 minutes to rest.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I put a shot of whisky in with the butter. Not sure if makes a difference but it smells good. :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Don't oil the pan, rub the steak with oil instead. Then season it.
  • The problem with that method is you add cold/room temp oil to the pan which lowers the temp of the pan.

The difference is likely minimal when it gets in the pan but if the oil is smoking I know the pan is up to temp, otherwise it is guess work.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It lowers the temp no more than the steak does. After you've used the hob for a while you'll get a feel for when it's at the right temp.
  • It’s easy to get geeky about steak details, but essentially you just need to combine extreme heat on the outside with some gentle heat on the inside.
  • Yeah I think we are splitting hairs.
  • Gots to do that butter baste though or get out.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It depends on the cut. A ribeye doesn't need any because it's got so much fat already. With a fillet definitely though.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Sunday Night Sandwich
    Glaze:
    Maple syrup, French's mustard, chilli flakes, ground pepper

7rmiiWc.jpg

Brush onto bacon one side

Oven cook 200c for the longest 18-20 mins ever.

9bOr9rB.jpg

10 to go and smelling gud.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Sweet child of mine, mouth is smokin.
    Too heavy on the chilli flakes there, and a minute overcooked but the cold beer is bringing the balance.

K76szc2.jpg
  • I'm liking recipies that use a little meat to go a long way. This one's a doddle - 10 mins.

Some frozen peas, pref petit pois.
    An onion (not red or it'll look awful).
    A couple of cloves of peeled garlic.
    Sprinkling of fennel seeds. 
    2 or 3 slices of smoked streaky bacon.
    Light chicken or veg stock

Slice onion and roughly cut the bacon. Fry until softish (3 - 5 mins) along with the whole garlic and fennel seeds. Add half the bag of frozen peas and just cover with stock, boils for a few mins and blitz.

As ever check seasoning. I like tons of pepper to give it a mushy peas vibe. Drizzle with oil/ bacon bits. I tend to drizzle everything with extra virgin these days so I can live until 130.

EDIT: It's pea soup btw. The fennel seeds really lift it like mint and besides, fennel seeds and pork AWAYS WINS
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I'm glad you added that, I was legitimately confused when I got to the blitzing bit!
  • LivDiv wrote:
    The problem with that method is you add cold/room temp oil to the pan which lowers the temp of the pan. The difference is likely minimal when it gets in the pan but if the oil is smoking I know the pan is up to temp, otherwise it is guess work.

I cook steak fridge-cold on a pan hotter than the Sun. I did it out of greed once and found it was better - a bit like sous vide.
  • Cosby wrote:
    I'm glad you added that, I was legitimately confused when I got to the blitzing bit!

I quite like the idea of following steps without knowing what the hell it is you're cooking.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm liking recipies that use a little meat to go a long way. This one's a doddle - 10 mins.

Some frozen peas, pref petit pois.
    An onion (not red or it'll look awful).
    A couple of cloves of peeled garlic.
    Sprinkling of fennel seeds. 
    2 or 3 slices of smoked streaky bacon.
    Light chicken or veg stock

Slice onion and roughly cut the bacon. Fry until softish (3 - 5 mins) along with the whole garlic and fennel seeds. Add half the bag of frozen peas and just cover with stock, boils for a few mins and blitz.

As ever check seasoning. I like tons of pepper to give it a mushy peas vibe. Drizzle with oil/ bacon bits. I tend to drizzle everything with extra virgin these days so I can live until 130.

EDIT: It's pea soup btw. The fennel seeds really lift it like mint and besides, fennel seeds and pork AWAYS WINS

On the list this week
  • Good man, it's so easy. 

In other news I miss Matthew Fort writing in the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2005/apr/16/foodanddrink.shopping
  • Went to Kanada-Ya for a spot of lunch. Told them to give me their nicest dish. Which apparently is the tonkotsu x with an egg. I have to say, speedy service, great broth, bit mean on the pork front but all in all very nice. 19 quid with a beer. Would recommend.
  • Now I want another thing.

• bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Apologies if I've have posted this before but damn, just made a 'Sam the cooking guy' grilled cheese ham and onion it's a proppa nawty sawt.

shoj3w2.jpg

https://youtu.be/OvfFxe3bG0k
  • This week I had a mixed kebab quesadilla, and it was a right nawty sowt.

TDLU53G.jpg

Cheese and garlic mayo through it. Oh my days.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I like Sam the cooking guy, he makes me smile, admittedly could ask for more but..
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • IMG-20200225-215301.jpg

A lack of pancake day images I thought. These were my efforts, not as nawty as they look. No added sugar protein pancakes and a cheat choccy sauce with Skyr, cocoa powder and MyProtein sugar free syrup.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Looks better than I imagine my Premier Inn brekky will when it rocks up.
  • No breakfast buffet?
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Hope you put that in your mouth all at once.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    No breakfast buffet?

No, you have to order. Which is great for freshness, but I can't exactly order a bowl 3ft high with B pud can I?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Made some kind of pesto but with avocados in it. Topped with pecorino cheese. Pretty good. I don't think I've ever bothered with pecorino before, supposing it was more or less the same as parmesan. Turns out it's fairly different and fairly great.
    GidJw24.jpg
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    You should give Cacio e Pepe a go if you like pecorino.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!