Now eating/drinking
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nope. Was part of the weight loss activity. One doesn't lose 5 and a half stone by eating curries.

I have perma-stopped takeaways. Just don't want them any more. The one thing I will have is fish and chips but I have had that maybe 3 times in the last 2 years. When I eat out I end to stick to less exotic fare. Steak normally, or try a veggie option.

Tandoori lamb chops last night though - from the chef's specials menu - God like.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Eggnog. I seem to recall being told, as a child, that it wasn’t nice, which was probably just a parent’s way of putting me off something that contained alcohol. A couple of times in my life I’ve thought, “I must try that some time,” and then never remembered. Finally got around to making it earlier this evening.

It’s delicious.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Recipe please. I blame all the American Christmas films, but yeah, the urge to find out what the fuck is in it and how it tastes is strong.
  • I went for the first one I saw in the Good Food app, I have no idea how standard or otherwise it is.

50g of caster sugar dissolved into 75ml of water, then stuck in the fridge to cool.

4 egg yolks whisked with 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence. Then a 397g can of condensed milk whisked in. Then 100ml of your chosen spirit (the recipe said brandy but I stuck in Southern Comfort) and the chilled syrup you made. Then stick it in the fridge for a couple of hours.

The amounts here made a pint of eggnog.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That'll be me now searching how to knock up a batch of dairy free condensed milk then.

Cheers Andy, although don't be shocked if I can't be arsed.
  • The BBC Good Food app has a vegan recipe. If you’re fine with eggs but need dairy free, you could probably work something out between the two.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Aye, eggs are fine but dairy fucks me up. Although I've had a fucking hell of a day regarding sneezing and itchy eyes, first time in months and dairy definitely wasn't involved, so fuck knows.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Woah woah woah, like most folk I get confused by the difference between condensed milk and evaporated milk, but fuck the difference, along with dropping your hot chocolate in your rolled oats, it's about the best thing yo can eat(drink)
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Happy new year lads and lasses

CY6tucw.jpg
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Happy New Year all.

Had a great start.
    Went to the only decent bar here. Been going there for about 18 months but 6 months ago owners changed.

New guy is great, really friendly East end wide boy.
    Had the count down and toasts of course.

10 minutes later he calls another toast and proposes to his boyfriend, who was ecstatic.

Proper warmth and love throughout the place.
  • Wait this is the eating thread lol.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Well I bet the landlords eating something at the minute, bless him
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Chopping boards wooden or plastic? Looking at the Joseph joseph index chopping board set (different boards for different food types) or a lakeland wooden board. Any recommendations? Our current wooden board fell apart after 7 years of use.
  • Wooden every day.
    I have used a single wooden chopping board for everything for about a decade now and never got food poisoning.

Pro kitchens use plastic to adhere to health and safety regs but for home one wooden chopping board is enough. (Maybe an extra plastic one if you eat something particularly smelly or just want to cut limes for drinks)

Obviously you need to wipe it down between chopping things. So if you chop chicken, wipe the board with warm soapy water and cloth, dry it and you are ready to go again.

Once a month rub in some cooking oil (vegetable, olive etc) using some kitchen roll. This will prevent liquids being absorbed deep into the wood and lubricate the board keeping your knives sharper longer.

Nothing kills a knife like a plastic board. Except a glass board but you would have to be a mental to have one of those.
  • Go for something like a butchers block, the chequerboard type pattern and go for something nice and thick, at least an inch, even better a couple of inches.
  • Those Joseph things piss me off.
    They look great but are kind of pointless. Plus if the boards arent 10000% dry you will get minging build up of scum inside the rack.

My parents have one and I snarl at it.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Chopping boards wooden or plastic? Looking at the Joseph joseph index chopping board set (different boards for different food types) or a lakeland wooden board. Any recommendations? Our current wooden board fell apart after 7 years of use.

7 years isn't so bad really. Also wood feels better, you can see the shite being scraped off it, but really plastic are more hygeinic, just not as pretty, especially after some use, and less easy to shave deeper cuts out of
  • Thanks for recommends. Think i will go wooden again.
  • Actually plastic can be less hygienic. Bacteria builds in the deeper knife cuts and is trapped. A new, clean, smooth plastic board is hygienic but if kept too long it can become pretty gross and most keep them too long.
  • Defo go wood.
    As the discussion about my pans in the Ask thread. If you can spend a bit of money and get a good wooden board it will see you out.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Good point Liv, same issue with deeper cuts in wood, but like I said I find it hugely satisfying when "shaving" a wooden board and seeing all the scum come off. Certainly makes me feel like it's a lot cleaner
  • Definitely if you get deep cuts but if oiled that shouldn't happen as much.
    I really want an antique butcher's block with the curved top from decades of use.
  • antique-butchers-block-4-x-2-on-lovely-base-with-pot-shelf_15262_main_size3.jpg

Look at that beast. Hundreds of thousands of meals worth of meat prepped on that thing.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    *Insert your best Chef John impression here*

Made "pasta fazool" tonight. Recipe here - which is a doddle

And proper January comfort food.

1m9I1V4.jpg

Zuu8EES.jpg
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Not yummy as Reg's wizardry, TBF that does look and sound glorious but for a quick Scooby snack...

Never thought to have garlic bread and fish fingers, but it's a bingo.

KdwcQwu.jpg

Garlic ciabatta - Morrisons
    Fish Fingers - Birds Eye
    Tartar sauce - M&S
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yum
  • Just discovered that the new Ramen joint in Glasgow, Ramen Ramen is by Maki & ramen, hithertoo prior holder of the crown of Ramen uin Edi/Gla. Shall be checking them out tonight I think.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!