Now eating/drinking
  • Need to use beef dripping, apparently.
  • Is that what Shia calls his orgasms?
  • Only when he wipes it off your chin.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Why is it so hard to get a decent pizza here...

We've been trying quite a few different places since we moved (technically we could still go to the one we used to just as easily, but they changed their dough and it's not as good).

One was really good, one of the better pizzas I've had but apparently the guy behind the register was an asshole, they told B to wait outside and then didn't call him back in when the pizzas were ready. So we can't go back there now according to B (I still think it's stupid to wait for 40 minutes before going back yourself to check, but whatever.).
    Found a new place that was ok last time, nothing special, apparently a cute girl at the register. I tried to make the pizza as close to the one I build at the really good place, but it didn't come close. Tried again this time, noticed they had a thin crust option (missed that last time) and a less sauce option, so I thought this could be it, making it from average to good. But why does the pizza have a thicker crust than last week and the sauce still piles up on my fingers. They also throw so many toppings on there that it's just overkill.

I'm so sad now. Specially as I need to go through it again tomorrow when I'll have the leftovers for lunch.

(Thin crust, red sauce, (Italian) salami, mushrooms, pepperoncini, onion and mozzarella topping)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Make your own pizza. Once you get the dough-making part down then it's an easy thing to do, and you'll rarely get a pizza out that is better than your own homemade ones. I have a bread machine and that makes the dough, but a food processor will do it too if you don't fancy the kneading.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Apart from having to wait for the dough to prove, it's also really quick.
  • Why do Chinese takeaway chips taste the way they do? They are the worst chips.

What? They'e been the best chips wherever I've lived
  • Dante confirmed as being from an alternate universe.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Or ‘Preston’ as it’s known.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What's the North End of Preston like?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Make your own pizza. Once you get the dough-making part down then it's an easy thing to do, and you'll rarely get a pizza out that is better than your own homemade ones. I have a bread machine and that makes the dough, but a food processor will do it too if you don't fancy the kneading.
    Apart from having to wait for the dough to prove, it's also really quick.

I know this is what I should do, but it would be nice to have a day off of cooking. Although I know I can prep the dough in advance and keep it in the fridge, same for sauce and toppings. Alex French Guy has some good videos about pizza.

I've seen people do it with a pizza stone in a Weber Kettle, and I kinda want to try that. Build a wood fire in the kettle, have the pizza stone on the grill and that should work.

Would need a new chopping board though, current counters aren't good for kneading dough (tiles) and my current one isn't big and heavy enough, it will move around too much when kneading.
    What boards do people recommend?
  • Anything solid wood.
    Go as big and heavy as possible with it still fitting on the counter and you can still easily move it about to the sink or whatever.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Was it you that was asking the same question a while ago @Liv? Did you end up buying something?

My current one is a $1 bamboo board that we found at a thrift store, still plastic wrapped. Has served me well but it's coming apart a bit and I'd like it to be bigger / heavier.
  • Nah not me.

The one I have was just a random Amazon one. It is a butcher block style, so that chequerboard look.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Yeah I see the checkerboard a lot in YouTube videos, they have a nice thickness to them usually.

If there's one reason I'd like to own a house at some point (or at least know I'm gonna be somewhere for 10 years), is so that I could spend a bit on nice kitchen appliances. I'm almost at the point where I can cook without getting stressed out by it, and am starting to enjoy it more each day. Deciding what to cook every day is the thing that gets to me the most.
  • You want an end grain chopping board, as large as practically possible, use a tea towel underneath to keep it from slipping about.

https://www.nisbets.co.uk/vogue-rectangular-wooden-chopping-board-large/c460

Something like this would be my choice.
  • Yeah that looks about right to me.
    Just treat it every now and again by rubbing some cheap olive oil into it like as if you were staining wood.
  • I find with deciding what to cook I like to have most nights as weekly basics and mostly the same each week. Good meals that everybody likes and that aren't to hard to make. Then two or three nights a week go all out on something new or special.
  • DAMMIT I FORGOT TO BUY ME SOME FISH FINGERS TODAY! :(
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Thanks n0face, I'll have a look around, that looks about what I was thinking of. These are apparently the ones from pro home cook's youtube channel https://handcraftedbybruce.com/ and they look really nice.
    n0face wrote:
    I find with deciding what to cook I like to have most nights as weekly basics and mostly the same each week. Good meals that everybody likes and that aren't to hard to make. Then two or three nights a week go all out on something new or special.
    This is what I keep telling myself I should do, but it's just not happening that often. Getting a bbq seemed to have stabilized it a little bit, Thursdays are usually BBQ chicken days, and on Fridays I'm trying out sausages, but I'm pretty sure I'm done with that soon. I'm still patiently waiting for the day I dare to tackle BBQ ribs.
  • I started off learning 4 or 5 dishes per season. Spring and Autumn are very different, at least in the UK, so I based it around what was abundant in the markets in any given season. When you get used to eating ingredients at certain times of year it's a lot easier.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Is there anywhere that does a New York style pizza near you Nina? Man I love me some New York pizza.

Weber self made sounds awesome though, I look forward to seeing photos.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    There probably are, I'm usually not a big fan of New York style if it's gonna be more than a slice. They tend to be pretty greasy here, can't remember if I had them in NY actually. I did have cheesecake which is obviously way more important.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I don't usually have churros, but these were fresh and warm so I took a chance. Very tasty.
    QUyyRqC.jpg
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I started off learning 4 or 5 dishes per season. Spring and Autumn are very different, at least in the UK, so I based it around what was abundant in the markets in any given season. When you get used to eating ingredients at certain times of year it's a lot easier.
    if this website is right https://cuesa.org/eat-seasonally/charts/vegetables than most things I regularly use are in season all year. Although there's no zucchini on there I realize now. Need to find a better chart.
  • Yeah I think California grows 80% of all USA fruit and veg so many things will be available all year round. Perhaps it's a better guide to look for things that look great and are cheap, Cheapness is a great indicator. 

This might help a bit as it mentions when they're at their best even if available all year round.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/california-seasonal-fruits-and-vegetables-2217159
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!