Now eating/drinking
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Listen pal I'll batter you in a min.
    I cod believe you would make such an obvious pun
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • g.man wrote:
    No plastic trays for this bad boy!

myman
  • Was that from Simone’s, G? I haven’t tried it since they rebranded.
  • Aye, first time I've been in since. Seemed...fine...to me, tho I haven't tried their chips yet, which is always the acid test. Think it's the boy running the show now, and I'm presuming old Super Mario has retired and passed on the business to him.
    They seem to have done a reasonable job re-vamping the place, but...and for me it's a big but...it just looks like everywhere else now, and I miss the old school decor tbh.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Totally get it, the character of the place has gone.

To be honest, I first thought it was new owners who’d bought the old place and I was just happy to learn it was still the same family.
  • I fucking love making coleslaw and white or red cabbage is so cheap. Generally the secret is to add lemon juice, salt and a little sugar and let it sit until it's slightly cooked but still crunchy. Maybers 20 mins. Liquid will get drawn out and you might have to drain alittle away to stop it being too wet.

Then add whatever you please. Simply mayo is outstanding. If you go asian flavours you could add chilli, ginger and maybers garlic when the lemon goes in, or you could use lime. Adding carrot isn't a bad idea. 

I'd happily just eat a bowl of it by itself.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Now you've made me want to make coleslaw.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    So easy to make, especially with a food processor. Not a fan of too many flavours beyond lemon and seasoning myself as I tend to like my coleslaw quite fresh tasting as it usually goes with something spicy. Great with BBQ ribs or chicken.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Directions to a decent basic recipe?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Pretty much what SG said but I go with:

Half a white cabbage
    1 red onion
    1 or two carrots
    Half a lemon
    Salt and pepper
    Mayo

I use the grated blade in the food processor for the cabbage and carrots

I thinly slice by hand the red onion. Thinner the better imo.

Mix it all in a bowl with the lemon juice and salt and pepper. Pop on the fridge for an hour.

Mix in the Mayo. I tend to leave the liquid in from the marinade as it thins out the Mayo. Pop back in the fridge. It tastes better after another few hours or overnight.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I haven’t tried sugar in it but might give it a go next time I make it.
  • That is pretty much how I do mine but I like some fresh coriander in there as well.
  • Here's my basic recipe:

White or red gabbage but red goes all pink and pretty looking. You don't need that much and one cabbage should be enough for 5/6 people.

Thinly sliced is a must and I prefer to do it with a really sharp knife slicing across the grain so you get lots of thin semi circles (a bit like an oniion).

Squeeze over some lemon juice, maybers half a lemon for a quarter of a cabbage, and add a sprinkle of salt and a little sprinkle of sugar. The sugar just takes the edge off the lemon if it's a bit tart but isn't required. 

Let it sit for 20 mins.

If a lot of water has pooled at the bottom of the bowl (use a glass one) then drain a little out but keep a bit. If in doubt keep it all.

Add mayo until just coated but don't over do it. I like to use my hands for this as it'll give you a better idea of consistency, being consevative at first and adding more mayo if required. The best thing is to just taste a bit and see. 

Add pepper if you want.

From this you can experiment from there but always try the basic one first imo.
  • Re the lemon amount, I see boris uses less lemon and no sugar. I'll try it like this next time because my lemon juce to mass ratio is far higher and this may be why I need to add sugar. Although I do like lemon.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    None of my recipes are set. I don’t think food should be like that. Throw it in to taste. I'll try your sugar approach as always open to seeing if it makes it better :-)
  • I like it that it doesn't always taste the same.
  • Does anyone else hate it when it's called 'slaw' on a menu instead of coleslaw? Not the biggest issue in the world right now for sure, but it irritates me.
  • That doesnt bother me too much but I do hate what an absolute roulette it is ordering it.
    It is such an easy, cheap thing to make but it can range from great to runny mayo slop in a paper cuup.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    My mother in law made us some red cabbage coleslawwith raisins in it. I thought it would be awful and it was amazing
  • For the purposes of balance I wish I could post a photo of some fatty curry sauce nonsense cos I hate coleslaw and hate even more burger joints that call it 'slaw.

But I'm having council tapas for dinner later. DS, over to you bruv ur our only hope
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    im havin pizza mate no sauce game tonight but yeah coleslaw is for mentals
  • ...and hate even more burger joints that call it 'slaw.

myman.

I was on cheese salads all week and a strict no booze rule (managed 5 days!), felt smashing and lost a bit of weight. Got myself a chinese and a bag of cans last night though and it was glorious.
  • Fuck coleslaw right into the bin. Horrid stuff.
  • What's the matter with you lot, coleslaw is brilliant.
  • Have people who don't like coleslaw had proper stuff or just the supermarket crap?
  • This = delicious
    appetizer-1223853_1280-768x548.jpg

This = stink garbage

4D3962B800000578-5843935-image-a-35_1528986766469.jpg
  • Yeah, even in restaurants it's not great. After more than an hour the acid turns it into mushy shite.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The Sainsbury's luxury coleslaw isn't too bad. But yes still not as nice as fresh, obvs...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Liv knows. Fresh coleslaw against hot spicy food is a perfect combo. Completely different to pre-packed stuff
  • My problem with coleslaw is based on not liking mayonnaise. The quality of the coleslaw doesn’t make much difference there.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!