True Detective *OP - Spoiler Free*
  • He's mowing grass all day, he probably just had grass on his ears so they looked green. Case solved. I R True Dick!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Isnt he too young though?
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • They spoke to him in 95 outside the school, so he seems old enough.
  • I remember that convo. I thought it implied he'd just left high school himself not so long ago.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Caught up. Nice 7th ep.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • In Southend today, won't be home until 10:30 tonight, the suspense is killing me.
  • That ending ain't gonna sit right with more than a few folks
  • hey homeslice
  • Well that was fairly goddamn slack. Prosaic Deliverance/Buffalo Bill incestuous hick showdown ending, what a fucking waste. First 4 eps set up a much smarter show than this turned into.

I'll watch the next season but I'm going in with very low expectations.

Arseholes.
  • I still enjoyed it, they stayed pretty self aware - that black hole thing in the roof was a great fake. No denying that it ran out of steam after Reggie got his head blown off though. Losing the interrogation made it all a bit mundane, although I thought the direction dropped off as well for the final three episodes.

I'd be happy to see another season, they might want to avoid a mystery though.
  • I suppose you don't get the internet buzz without the mystery though.
  • God the final scene was cornballtastic in a way I thought was completely alien to the rest of the show. If they were going for a believable 'reform' of the Cohle character it fell right on its batty.
  • I could almost buy it, but it didn't add much. 

Marty's ex and the kids visiting him out of a sense of obligation was perfect though.
  • It was only okay because Marty blubbered.
  • And honestly it all just makes me meaner about facts like these, the kind of shit I could forgive but for the collapse of this thing's apparent ambition.
  • The x2 on the asshole boss makes most of it OK for me. I always assumed the title was a huge nod to us getting a slab of pulp, clichés included. Execution was everything and they needed to keep the pace and the tone up right to the end, that was where it fell down for me.
  • All they had to do in the last episode was not ruin the previous 7, and they did that, will be rewatching asap.
  • Brooks wrote:
    And honestly it all just makes me meaner about facts like these, the kind of shit I could forgive but for the collapse of this thing's apparent ambition.

I'd like to think they did all the cliches just to show they could be done well.

Will rewatch imagining Rust is played by Mel Gibson and Woody is Danny Glover with a couple more defects.
  • I thought it was great. 

It certainly shifted in style from methodic (interview/flashbacks) in the first half of the series to a more of a cat and mouse chase more similar in style to Red Dragon/Silence Lambs.

I liked both.

At the end (outside the hospital) Cohle seemed to find belief in an afterlife or at least some acceptance of something. Marty replied 

"..didn't you say you used to make up stories about the stars.."

was he trying to comfort Cohle by saying that he didn't really feel or enter an afterlife, he was just making up a story (Cohle was looking up at the sky when he lying on the floor stabbed) like he used to when he was younger. Was this Marty's way of comforting Cohle, you know there isnt an afterlife, that's not what you believe, no need to concern yourself with those thoughts,?

Side note: Cohle looked like jesus when he was staring out of the hospital window.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • I finished this last night.  Had a skim over the past few pages + wider internet and gather people are a bit miffed ('cornballtastic').  I thought it was excellent, my only gripe being that in the final two episodes it started to rattle along at a pace that suggested it had been trimmed down from say, a 10 episode season that was originally planned.  adored mentioned the soundtrack, which I'll certainly be buying - Townes Van Zandt, Lucinda Williams, Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings - all right up my alley.  In the final scene I had an inkling Burnett would choose Dylan's One More Cup of Coffee (Valley Below) for the credits, but I was totally wrong in the end - I only spotted one Dylan track. 

Two things bugging me enough to post about:

Do we have theories on who called the police after the showdown?  Did I just miss something? 

Also, to save time so I don't have to check again, was there a particular reason why Marty remembered the paint job/photo all those years later - why it would have stuck in his mind?  I get that he became a better detective in the interim, but that's not quite enough for me.  Did we see the photo in the 1995 scenes?  Did Marty comment on it then or place it on a pinboard and stare at it or something?  My memory is hazy, I can't remember the scenes where they visited the property.
  • Yeah I'll echo that there were a lot of threads left open, I'm kinda hoping that for the second series, although different characters, still revolves around that same area / themes, and we actually get to see that peado ring cracked, or at least some further explanation.

The biggest unanswered question for me was why Woody's kid was playing with all murder / paedo scene toys... I kinda expected her (or sis) to get taken by the killer. But no. We never heard anything of that again. Edgy.

As for who called the police, didn't Woody shout something at the woman like, "now where's that phone?" or something after at first failing to find a working one? Kinda figured Woodsie called them, wouldn't have been anyone else, but yeah it's just another thing you have to work out by yourself, which, btw, I don't see as a cool, edgy, "nah mate it's meant to be very ambiguous like that, so you have to think". Nope. They just didn't finish it properly.

Having said that, I enjoyed the series a lot, but that last episode, with Jeepers Creepers style cop-psycho show down, took the shine off just a little.
  • nick_md wrote:
    The biggest unanswered question for me was why Woody's kid was playing with all murder / paedo scene toys... I kinda expected her (or sis) to get taken by the killer. But no. We never heard anything of that again. Edgy.

When it eventually became apparent they didn't have time to tie this in, I just put it down to a slightly cheeky misdirection.  Some kids draw weird shit, especially girls, my wife said, which I took to mean 'I used to draw weird shit'.  She was a troubled kid (Marty's daughter) and she went off the rails - the doll orgy stuff was just a yellow herring with green ears.  I'm fine with that personally, but it rankled the missus.

OK, perhaps Woody called the cops, but an extra two seconds of footage where the dirty pillow monster pointed to a phone wouldn't have gone amiss, I agree.  I also agree that a tiny bit of shine was taken off towards the end, but it's still the best thing I've seen on TV since The Wire (better than The Bridge and *ducks for cover* Breaking Bad for me).
  • I thought the whole daughter thing was just tied into woody being a terrible father who's work and philandering was effecting his family even though he thought he was perfect, although it did have a definite child abuse vibe about it.
  • Was quite happy for the daughter stuff and whatever to remain loose, thematic ingredients. When the show was vague it was practically without peer.

Just wish it hadn't turned into a fucking Resident Evil bossfight. Makes the good first half look more of a fluke than anything, and that's never a fun thing to realise.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!