• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Dezaemon (I have D2 for Saturn)

A build your own shmup kit that is crying out for an update. With online sharing too? Would be amazing.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • djchump wrote:
    Ali wrote:
    Road Rash 3DO! Pleeeeeeeease.
    Eric wrote:
    ...Road Rash 3DO is a great call though.
    Roujin wrote:
    .... I would also welcome a new Road Rash.
    Thats still my fav Road Rash game, blew my mind when I first saw that on 3DO. ...
    May not be much cop, but:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/14/road-redemption-alpha-download/

Had my eye on this. Possible console version if it hits X amount on kickstarter I believe.

Looks a bit sparse but it might scratch an itch:
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The country roads is Burnout Paradise Bikes gave me a Road Rash chubby. I can't believe there's one guy in an office that could've picked up the phone at any point in the last few years and ordered Criterion to stick a punch button in that mode and showed it off to a bunch of investors while playing Rusty Cage.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • hunk wrote:
    Which classic games deserve a HD Remake treatment? Is it a good idea or just a waste of money as we've already seen it all? Is there a good way and a bad way to go about it (alterations/no alterations). Discuss!
    We've had this discussion or similar discussions a few times but (like some games and unlike others) I think it's worth regular revisits.

For example, in the past I've listed games that I'd like to see released with just updated graphics.  However, it has transpired that my memory was doing the games in question some favours.  Dropship: United Peace Force and Freedom Fighters are two examples of games I have played more recently than my claims that the gameplay should go untouched.  In both instances, a control overhaul would be essential, with perhaps some tweaks in the mechanics, as both come from a time before control schemes became a bit more standardised.  I controlled both games just fine when they came out, but my brain hadn't been conditioned by years of twin-stick control-scheme honing.

On the other hand, Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe has been marred by attempts to modernise the mechanics.

I recently learned that my platform choice (PS3) for one of my favourite games of last year (Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons) was a poor one, as apparently it had the poorest graphics.  I'll perfectly happily go back to it on PS3 as it looks lovely but, I must confess) if it was released on PS4 with a facelift, I wouldn't even hesitate in buying it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Not a remake, more another attempt. A platformer based on Fantasia with this gen's grunt could be pretty special. The MD game is truly awful.
  • Super Monkey Ball. Just give us the first game in its tightly designed glory, and add the ability to share replays and make levels.

Is there an analogue stick that can do the game justice nowadays, though? I really wish Nintendo didn't ditch the octagonal guide rings on the Wii U GamePad, its sticks no longer feel tactile and multipurpose.

I've been disappointed with a lot of HD "remakes" lately though. A lot just see a simple resolution bump with visuals designed for standard definition appearing worse than they should have. I guess budget's a big problem.

---

As for the Zelda discussion on the previous page, I think this once again shows how Zelda means different things for different people.
  • I expect the new console sticks could handle MonkeyBall. 1080@60. DO NOT CHANGE THE MODES, LEVELS OR PHYSICS THAT ARE ALREADY THERE. Only add things. A new mode or two, online monkey fight, make&share like fronk said.

Throw a few more polys at the ball to make it look like an actual ball. Add some grass and shaders if it looks too rough but keep the same look. Ideally I'd want people to think it was the original until they saw the actual original.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    They would fuck it up. The game on GC was made for the controller with its analogue stick notches. They have departed.
  • 5551531094_1460c03e38.jpg
  • The notches were great. They should make attachments that you can fit to your controller for such things. 

They probably already do...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    IanHamlett wrote:
    5551531094_1460c03e38.jpg

Quite. Unfortunately that was Monkey Ball in the arcade. The Gamecube game was an enhanced game with the Super prefix attached.

Now maybe the arcade game was ported across unmolested as the main game - if so - fair enough.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Assuming the stick notch issue can be addressed , even though I believe the PS2 and old box versions had to have some levels tweaked to deal with that, they won't resist adding in extra pollutants to the game.

They would need to lose the jump that was added at some point after no. 2 for starters.

I would love to see it done by the way. SMB deserves to be played by as many people as possible. It's a question of whether they will pour enough effort and time into the project to do it right.

The complete fuck up that was made of Monkey Ball Adventure should be a warning to all concerned.
  • Panzer Dragoon Saga/F-Zero GX/Metroid Prime
  • NGPC-PacRing.jpg
    This came with the Neo Pocket version of PacMan so you could only push in the cardinal directions.

I doubt it would be needed. Someone with MonkeyBall running on Dolphin with a PS4 pad has probably answered this.
  • Fackin ell next you be biggin up th ngage
  • The Neo Pocket was a perfectly reasonable handheld console.
  • davyK wrote:
    Assuming the stick notch issue can be addressed , even though I believe the PS2 and old box versions had to have some levels tweaked to deal with that, they won't resist adding in extra pollutants to the game.

They would need to lose the jump that was added at some point after no. 2 for starters.

I would love to see it done by the way. SMB deserves to be played by as many people as possible. It's a question of whether they will pour enough effort and time into the project to do it right.

The complete fuck up that was made of Monkey Ball Adventure should be a warning to all concerned.

*Shudders*. And Deluxe -- which if I remember correctly was released during the fall of Sega AM4 -- wasn't a great transition either. I guess it was never going to be, though, but I was horrified when I played the PS2 version.

I liked Banana Blitz, which was the last one to be overseen by Nagoshi. Dimps' Monkey Ball 3D is a travesty and AQ Interactive's Banana Splitz made too many schoolboy errors. Bah.
  • I think MB went alarmingly off course as soon as a the first level of MB2 started. It's like they had no idea what made the first one good. Most levels had a 5 second straight run before anything actuality happened. It got worse from there. The whole thing had a whiff of fan fiction.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    The Neo Pocket was a perfectly reasonable handheld console.

Sonic Pocket Adventure is excellent.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Was that Color only?

And back on topic, I'd love a new KOTOR and would settle for a shiny remake.
    Or a Sega Rally / Daytona combo.
  • Plenty of suggestions already, that I'd also like to see.

So, I'll add...

Burning Rangers.

A game full of interesting ideas, but the Saturn really struggled to cope with the graphics.
  • WorKid wrote:
    Was that Color only?

And back on topic, I'd love a new KOTOR and would settle for a shiny remake.
    Or a Sega Rally / Daytona combo.

Yeah, I think it was, sorry.

• I've probably said it before, but I would love to see an HD redone remade re polished Vagrany Story. I would prefer to keep it non spoken/voice acted. They would probably fuck up delivery.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    IanHamlett wrote:
    I think MB went alarmingly off course as soon as a the first level of MB2 started. It's like they had no idea what made the first one good. Most levels had a 5 second straight run before anything actuality happened. It got worse from there. The whole thing had a whiff of fan fiction.

The main game had become a side show even that early on. It had been even polluted with an attempt at a story. I do have to admit to liking most of the extra games in no. 2 even if they were "monkey-ball-isms" in name alone even more so than in no. 1.

Other games? Parodius V and Pilotwings please.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    fronkhead wrote:
    I liked Banana Blitz, which was the last one to be overseen by Nagoshi. Dimps' Monkey Ball 3D is a travesty and AQ Interactive's Banana Splitz made too many schoolboy errors. Bah.

Oh…I might get that then. Had avoided it as reviews had been so-so. It will be cheap enough now so no big deal if I don't like it. What's the Step and Roll one like? Always room for another balance board game as it gets some use at my house.
  • davyK wrote:
    fronkhead wrote:

Oh…I might get that then. Had avoided it as reviews had been so-so. It will be cheap enough now so no big deal if I don't like it. What's the Step and Roll one like? Always room for another balance board game as it gets some use at my house.

It's not as good as the original but the main game is surprisingly excellent and well designed, with the sort of tight, devious levels you'd expect from the first game. Whether you'll like it or not will probably be down to the controls, I find resting my arm on my thigh when playing keeps the Wii Remote steady so I personally never had any trouble. The jump mechanic is well implemented into the level design as well.

I read bad things about Step and Roll, sounds like they completely dumbed down the level design because of the balance board. Looks cheap too, with plenty of asset reuse from Banana Blitz.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I enjoyed the tilt control in Kororinpa so will probably like Banana Blitz. I would expect any balance board stages to be primitive so that wouldn't surprise me either. cheers.
  • I'm with Workid on the SEGA AM2 racer front but I want Scud Racer. Why that never got a home port is beyond me, still looks good today:
    Ninteen ninety six
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3zkcy1Sag4
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nice. Kind of Daytona on steroids. Maybe it didn't get a home release because the DC got Daytona 2001 ?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!